A little help with the Salmon River?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Rick LaRiviere, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Rick LaRiviere Active Member

Ratings: +47 / 0
    Hi all,

The Misses and I finally did it, we bought a couple of two handers, and we're planning to get down to the Salmon River sometime after the Holidays. Wondering if any of you would give us any helpful info, (don't expect any spot burning) but maybe some help with a few likely fly patterns, and maybe a general area to focus our attention on for that part of the season.? I've caught a few steelhead and salmon on eastern waters, and in the Great Lakes, but never did with two handers and flies. Sure would appreciate any help you might give. Thanks... We've got a cabin in southwestern MT less than an hour from Salmon/North Fork. We've had the northwestern steelhead/salmon itch for a good while now and we're about ready to scratch it! Appreciate any help you might give. Thanks.

Rick
  2. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    yes, would love some info too. how bout riggins vs. up by salmon? thinking of nov. 1st.
  3. flyfishmt Active Member

Laurel, MT
    Ratings: +85 / 0
    The better fall steelhead fishing is typically in the Clearwater, but there are quite a few B-runs that will find their way up the Salmon. The good news, is that most people are busy chasing deer and elk, and the river is pretty quiet. The river from North Fork to Salmon is all good and there is a lot of public access. Idaho does have the high water mark law, and some landowners along the river are pretty adamant about it. You will have no problem finding good spots to fish. The river should also be low and clear and fairly easy to wade. It is good all the way up to Clayton if you are so inclined to drive that far. I have caught some great fish this time of year after elk hunting.
  4. Rick LaRiviere Active Member

Thanks FFMT, it's appreciated. Thinking we will make our way over to the Clearwater for a few days, but also frequent day trips to the Salmon. Wondering if we'd be better off swinging flies, or indicator nymph/eggs.? Thanks again.
  5. flyfishmt Active Member

Laurel, MT
    I have had a lot of luck swinging black and purple streamer type flies on the Salmon. Glo-bugs and indicators on the Clearwater. There is some great river access on the CW right around Kamiah.
  6. Rick LaRiviere Active Member

Funny you should mention Kamiah, was just looking at that area on the map. I've been giving thought to the area below Dworshak on the CW. Do you think we'd do better around Kamiah? Pam (my lady) has never landed a steelhead, and I really want to get her into some so she can break in the new switch rod she just picked up. Thanks...
  7. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    Ive got family in Salmon, ID, and the locals swear by black/chartreuse bunny leech
  8. flyfishmt Active Member

Laurel, MT

Pretty big water down around Dworshak without jet boat. Kamiah has a lot of wader friendly water that she will do just fine in. Any streamer with some black on it seems to work on the Salmon. Even the local spin guys will fish "black flies".
  9. loganmike Member

Buying 4 licenses from now on!
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Just got back from the salmon. Any fly works as long as it is presented right!

Hot pink and orange worked for me.
  10. Rick LaRiviere Active Member

Thank you guys for all the help. Really appreciate it.
  11. attack Member

Forks, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    nymphing the clearwater is like using your finger instead of your dick with a naked supermodel in bed. if you go there use a floating line and wet fly as the fish gods put that river there to do.
    James Harrington likes this.
  12. loganmike Member

Buying 4 licenses from now on!
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Now that's funny!

True.... And funny.

Did I mention TRUE!!!!!
  13. kjsteelhead Member

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    The dam counts aren't the greatest this year, but the water around Shoup is a fun place to swing for fish in the fall. The river freezes over in the winter, and there's a huge ice jam that forms around North Fork. This usually breaks up in late February to early March, and the fish start cruising upstream. The fish don't put up as good a fight in the spring, but you can have some many-fish days swinging and/or nymphing again in the spring. Have fun.
  14. Idaho steel Active Member

Clearwater
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    I'm not sure I like that analogy. I think it's more akin to passing on the supermodel entirely, then paying for a hooker...
    Craig Pablo and James Harrington like this.
  15. speygeek New Member

PNW Baja
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Or, instead of getting a nice hotel room, settling for a hand job in a beer-bar parking lot.
  16. Craig Pablo Active Member

Ronan, MT
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Or worse yet, in the shitter at a local dive:)