A little lake action this evening

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ed Call, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Insomnia has had me rocking the fly tying vice. I finished flies for three swaps and packed them while the wife was out today. When she got home I had the evening to fish. I arrived at the lake around 5pm. Light rain was falling, but the fish dont care, they are wet already. I met Gary Dills who saw my WFF decal on my truck then asked me straight up if I was Mumbles. I guess he thinks I look like my avatar.

He suggested a starter chrionmid that brought him some success. I had two to the net before he reached the corner down the road. The bobber thing worked well but I wanted to target the risers and slurpers with other tactics. I tried five different patterns with nothing, then found a nifty emerger that they liked. Two on chironomids and six more on emergers before the light faded. It rained most of the time, lightly, but it was a great evening on the water.

This was my pontoon tune up run to test out the positioning of all the things I've been doing on my new pontoon before the Hoh. All worked pretty well for the lake, rowed well, tracked great and everything I needed was in easy reach (with the seat swivel). I'll be taking the swivel off for the Hoh more than likely, but it was a comfortable outing and one that got my hands slimy.

Thanks for reading...the skunk is off!

2. Islander

Islander Steve

Great report Mumbles. Bring some of that fish Mojo with you to the Hoh Down. :rofl:

3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Very nice Mumbles. Your post reminds me that I need to tie more Lasha's racoons. Hope springs eternal, as does better weather. Good luck to all heading west. I'm heading east.

Steve

4. Ed Call

Thanks Steve and Steve...Islander, you know that planted holdover trout and steelhead are not the same league of opponents, but I'll give it a shot. I'm looking forward to the trip, meeting some folks, the beauty of the OP and its rivers and of course hoping for an encounter with massive numbers of steelhead. That would be icing on the cake.

Cabezon, east? Fishing, other adventure or boring reason you are going the wrong way?

5. cabezon

I'm either off to fish the Yak or Lenice/Lenore for a few days. I think that the OP river may be a bit busy for the solitude that I'm looking for. I'm more in need of an intense fishing fix than wild social fix. Y'all have fun now.

Steve

6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Steve:

Lenice was pretty darn busy over the weekend and I know quite a few were staying at least one extra day. It may not provide you with the "solitude" you seek, but will take car of your fishin fix!

MB

7. cabezon

Hi Scott,

With all the pent-up need to fish and the limited options, I don't doubt that I'll find some company anywhere I went, but it would be nice to avoid "crossed flylines." Especially on the OP where there aren't that many fish to catch anyway. Thanks for your report.

Steve

8. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Thanks for the good report.
    I've been needing a fishing fix and was able to talk my 12 year old grandson into a afternoon trip to Quincy lake.
    We didn't do real well in the two and a half hours on the water with some light rain.
    A couple of LDRs each, short strikes and two pretty bows in the 13/14" class to the boat.
    Sure was good to get out and fish.

9. Ed Call

Gary, glad you got out. That is the important part. You had great company makes it even better. I've been so jonesing for the Hoh that I had to get out and fish. It was truly good therapy. As the evening went on I was treated to watching tons of fish slurp or blast the surface, many so close I could net them and some even were leaping out of the water for their dinner. I think the light rain make it a perfect outing, rain calms me.

10. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

"Tons of fish slurping, so close I could net them" been there done that (not netting)
    Life doesn't get much better than that. Yes, perfect!!!!

11. Brian James

Brian James New Member

Are you trading in the kick boat? I think I'm finally ready to commit to a pontoon boat. I was thinking about it for the past few months and that's what really meets my needs. I need a river capable craft though...

12. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

I'm sure i was on the lake Mumbles fails to name 2 days before. Cabezon's recommendation of a lacsha racoon is spot-on as it's the only surface pattern the feisty little guys would hit. I need to tie a few more as well, as the deer hair on mine is all chewed to pieces. Huge chironomid hatch going off most of the day, but most of the risers seemed to be slurping bugs just sub-surface.

13. Ed Call

Robast...if you are tying...since I don't know the lacsha racoon pattern...
    By the way, when are we fishing next? I'm likely to be in the doghouse after the Hoh, but I'll start making plans for when I get out of there.