A little late to the party

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Rolfe, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Found this brute on an S river yesterday. Pretty well colored, but he was tough nonetheless and made me work for him a bit.

First decently sized fish caught swinging my spey rod. Worked all the way through a long run, and found him at the tip of the tailout. What a blast to feel that tap tap tap, take a couple steps toward shore, then pull the hook home.

As you can see, I need to work on my pose.

[​IMG]

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    There's still some fresh coho in the river, but the fresh ones tend to be in deep, nigh impossible to swing water. The shallower you go, the more colored up they get, and grabbier they seem to be. In any case, swinging a coho on an S river is an accomplishment.

3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I saw another forum member out there yesterday, and he told me the same thing. He even went so far as to say a coho on the swing might be more rare than a steelhead on those rivers.

Of course, it's not like I was trying to catch a coho. I was just swinging a black bunny strip, focusing on making a good cast and trying out different presentations, and hoping for the best.

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I know the forum member of which you speak. He's a good friend of mine.

A little over a week ago, I did a float on the same river and hooked three steelhead while targeting coho. That was an even bigger surprise.

But he's right, on the swing, coho are next to unheard of on said river. Especially chrome ones.

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  5. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Yeah, Ian seems like a great guy. I've met him out there a couple of times now and enjoyed talking with him. Got a nice little centerpin demonstration from him the first time I met him.

I actually asked him to confirm the fish ID for me, because at first I was a little surprised to have caught a coho. I've never caught a colored up coho like that before, or any dark salmon in the river, and I was expecting that if I hooked anything it would either be a chum or a hatchery steelhead.

Pretty cool surprise though.