A little mountain stream

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trent, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Trent Ugly member

Here
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Went out to this little stream today. There was still some snow on the ground, but the water was pleasent and the fish were hungry. This little guy was the only one I took a picture of, next to him is the pocket of water he came from. The other is another little hole and the last is where the first stream meets up with another.
  2. ffb Resident Foo

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    How are those mountain streams not affected by snowfall? Are they fed by lakes instead? I really need to find a place like this, time to start exploring the blue squiggly lines, if I can find just one place like this.... :beer1:
  3. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    Water in streams doesn't always come directly from snowmelt or rain runoff. A lot of it comes from underground water, originally from the above sources, that sinks under topsoil (sometimes for a few inches, sometimes very deep), is pulled downhill by gravity over impermeable bedrock until it emerges in a stream channel. We think of springs, but most groundwater flows drop by drop. It's usually cool and clear.
  4. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    Ah yes, I love this time of year!

ffb: You way you need to find just one place like this. Seriously, there are hundreds in the Cascades exactly like what is pictured here. Just pick nearly any squiggly blue line on your Delorme atlas (or equivalent) at an altitude of 500'-4000' and you'll be in business.

Of course, check the regulations to make sure it's open (some are closed, mostly due to bull trout preservation).
  5. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Really neat pictures. I just had this sudden impression of what I think I'll call "Bonsai Trout Fishing". You use all of your knowledge and skill in pursuit of difficult, wary, beautiful, smaller fish in small, gorgeous, tranquil, peaceful bodies of water.

Now I have to buy a 2 wt Bonsai Rod to re-start my Bonsai Fishing.

Thanks for posting this thread.
  6. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +630 / 0
    Bonsai trout are one of God's special gifts . . . that's why He created the nano-weight fly rod. I hit one of these on my Montana-return-back-to-my-roots trip every year. The Cutties come from a stretch of stream cascading thru old-growth timber & are damn near black. It's a religious experience . . .
  7. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +117 / 0
    That's my kind of fishing...great pics.
  8. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    I need to research "nano-weight" fly rods.
  9. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +630 / 0
    Shhhh! I'm still developing my spider-silk leaders . . . you'll ruin my retirement enterprise . . .
  10. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +254 / 0
    The nice thing about those Cascade trickles is the lack of ticks. Why hasn't OMJ chimed in on this post? Nice report Trent.
  11. Trent Ugly member

Here
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    iagree Though they usually have their fair share of "Devil Clubs", at least this one and most of the ones I fish do anyways. When slipping into a fall, sometimes it might be better just to fall instead of instictive reflex to grab something:D I still prefer that rather than the ticks though.
  12. SeaRun Fanatic Member

Northwest, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Myself and a buddy fished one of these streams at around 3,000 feet yesterday, and the fish were anything but wary. In fact, they were ravenous - at times to the point of wild abandon. As the water warms and gets skinnier they may get a bit more selective, but up high, if it moves, you'd better eat it! All fish were caught on medium-sized attractor dries and there was snow on the banks.
  13. ffb Resident Foo

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Did some scouting today, no luck in finding one of these gems. I think I need to look higher up, oh well, I'll keep at it until I find one! :thumb:
  14. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    SeaRun:
    Saw your post and appreciate it. I guess you could say my experience in fishing "bonsai water" was either the fish were very wary fish or it is possible I'm not a very good bonsai fisherman. Now which is the case? Well, I used to have a half a dozen bonsai plants and I managed to keep them alive for three years. Five are dead, the lone survivor is with my neighbor now. If I expand that to bonsai fishing, I have my answer. I have some great memories of little streams with small, mature rainbow and brook trout in beautiful settings in the Cascades. This thread brought those memories back. I have the urge to start back into the sport but have decided to focus on beach fishing instead. Now if someone had the urge to blindfold me and take me to their secret bonsai stream I would be a willing hostage..........
  15. Randall Dee Castaway

Cascadia
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Nice photos. I love those little streams. Exactly what I built my 0 wt for.
  16. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    Leave me out of this.

When I first looked at the pictures it almost looked like Swauk Creek. But I don't think so.

I tried to help a few out on small creeks here but then I never hear from anybody again. So I just try to keep quiet on small water.
  17. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +254 / 0
    Old Man, I think I owe you a few thanks. If it weren't for some of your old posts, I would've never fished the Tye, Beckler, and Foss, though they all gave me the skunk.
  18. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +117 / 0
  19. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Trent, with a title like that and nice pictures to boot, you gotta spin us a little yarn.. man. Without a good story to go with, that's just a tease not a report. This here's a fishin' website, we want lies and blowhard accounts. Tell us how you caught that 20" monster on a broken hook and windknotted 8x tippet in creek no bigger than one can step across!
  20. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    The trouble with fishing these rivers and creeks is that you probably fished them at the wrong time of the year. I know there is just a short season on these places so you have to make the most of it when you can. The best time to fish here is about two weeks after the run off stops. The places are wadable and you won't get swept off your feet crossing them.

I have gotten Steelhead out of the West fork of the Foss and many Cutthroat also. But you can't fish from the road you have to bust thru the brush to find the good places. And I used to do just that.

The head water of the S/F of the Sky is the place to be at the right time of the season.

Jim