A Little of My Own Medicine (Bubba Report)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by miyawaki, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    The Tacoma area and Burien had (95-2002) some lakes with big smallies in them. One of the Tacoma lakes we used to hit often was so full of rock bass we couldn't get to the smallies. And my buddy Jack O'Day hit a 7 pound (that's right, legit 7 pounder) smallie in a Burien favorite of ours. The same day I got a 6 pound largemouth on a big assed deer hair bug. I can't seem to remember the name of any of those damn lakes though. Memory is getting bad at 40. ;) I bet if you take your float tubes, boats and flyrods out, you'll find them and then some more none of us know about. Those will be yours and yours only. Or then again you can just hang out at internet spots the rest of the world goes to. Come on fellas. GO FISHING!!!

Jason, what a damn beauty. Nice job............... (under my breath) gear chucker.......:D
  2. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Think this belongs in another thread I started! :clown:

Cottage Lake is supposed to have some bass in it... been meaning to get out there recently, but haven't yet.
  3. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Cottage has bass
  4. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    Simple as this, Kenmore Bay.. :D

Oh, and Bill if you wanna putter around cottage lake some evening let me know, I'll make time.
  5. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +839 / 1
    You almost have to figure that most of our shallower westside lowland lakes surrounded by homes and docks have bass. I live in Kent and am pretty sure Meridian has 'em.

Leland.
  6. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +467 / 1
    there isnt a lake in snohomish county that doesnt have bass. the smaller and more under the radar the lake the bigger the bass. ive even been catching them out of stupid neighborhood ponds recently. its retarded. they are literally everywhere.

that small reedy retaining pond by the ghetto apartments? probably has bass. better check.
  7. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Meridian, Fenwick, Angle, just like Sean Said. And let's not forget our public golf course ponds at night....... not that I ever did that, just heard about it:eek:
  8. spanishfly Steelberg

Issaquah, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    It sure does... My boy Allen with a nice Smallie.
  9. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    For those in the south end of the Kitsap Peninsula, I have to recommend Bay Lake for bass. It's shallow and weedy as it can get, but the bass are all over under the overhanging branches. You get strikes upon first splashdown and within the first few chugs of a popper. There are also lots of other spiny ray fish, too. I haven't fished it in years, but it was a monster the last time i did. I doubt it has changed much in the interim. Now that I have a WaterMaster, I know that I'll be visiting it the first summer I have at home. Right now, I'm working a WiFi connection at the dock at Charleston, S.C. and totally envying everyone here who is fishing.

--Dave E.
  10. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Yes, definitely! Let's do it sometime this week for sure.. :thumb:

Very nice!
  11. Krystoff Member

Woodinville, WA
    I have actually been fishing Cottage the last few weekends but it has all been for trout. I know where the trout hang out but I have never figured the bass out. I will have to go and do some research and hit Cottage up again.

If you see a browning belly boat (one of the older round ones) out there on Sat mornings say hello!
  12. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    Think I want to try this bass-fly fishing thing again. Tried it about 3 years ago on a local lake when I first started this fly fishing thing and couldn’t get that little “popper” to cast at all. Started with 5x tippet, down to 4x then down to 3x I think. Couldn’t get it to turn over at all. Was using a 5 wt. floater and started with a 9 foot tippet and eventually ended with about 7 feet of it left. Overall a generally total flop and haven’t tried it since – once I found out about Silvers, SRC’s and Pinks but thinking I want to try again. Can anyone offer gear advice? Line weight, tippets & length of same, popper sizes and techniques – slow retrieve, jerky retrieves, mixed jerky/slow retrieves, cast onto lily pads (or not?) etc. etc.. I do have large spools of Maxima UG and Crystal Clear in 8-15# weights if that’s what it takes to turn over those little poppers…..

Please though, no GPS coordinates or painted rocks…..:rolleyes:

Thanks for the help fellers….:beer2:

Jc:eek:
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Heffe, perhaps your line is not able to turn over the big nasties you are casting. I've been told that using larger but shorter leaders will help. I've also been told that bass are not that leader shy because they are too busy slamming the schizznit out of whatever you are splashing down and chugging across the surface. Tie up a leader that is only about six feet total and make it heavy. See if that works. I plan on trying the same thing when the lake tems are too high for trout (like any day now). Best of luck and let us know how you resolve the turnover.
  14. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    JC,
    Forget the X tippets, etc. Go right to the Maxima UG. I like 12 lb myself. Either taper down to 12 or straight 12. Honestly, you could probably use 20 and it wouldn't matter much. I haven't found bass to be real leader shy.
    If you want to make your own bass line rather then buying one, make one out of an old floater. Just cut front taper back. You want a very short front taper when throwing those big flies for bass.
    I fish a floater and clear intermediate most of the time.

As far as rods, I do all my bass fishing with a saltwater 6wt. I've gotten abused a few times, but it handles most bass very well and lets them show their stuff.

If you are fishing poppers, resist the urge to start stripping right away. Once it hits the water, let it sit there for a minute or more, then pop it.

Casting big uglies next to docks, on top of pads etc will get you bit. If fishing in bright sun, pay special attention to the sides of structure that have shade.
    Your best fishing in the summer will be early and late in the day.

I agree with Sean. There are bass in nearly every lake here locally. I fished seven different lakes this weekend and saw some toads in each lake. The fun thing is you never know what you are going to catch when fishing for bass. I ended up catching nine different species of fish this weekend while bass fishing.

Good luck
  15. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    Stone....,thanks for the tips, never would've thought to use my CPS for Bass but after some of these pictures I might be undergunned with that - of course I've still got the 8 weight too.....! :eek: :D

Mumbles, I dunno if you were replying to me or....who the heck is Heffe? Anyhow, thanks for the info too!

Jc:beer2:
  16. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Mistook you for El Heffe who is also a JC, my bad. The info was directed toward you based on things I've been told but haven't the chance to try out yet.
  17. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I'll shoot you a pm when I get home from work. May have someone else who wants to come as well.
    :beer2:

I think I'd die if I remembered everything the first time...

On the leader turn over deal, I use mono about 5 to 6 feet and I start a 30 lbs then do 20 lbs then 15 lbs. should be able to turn over an action figure with that :D
  18. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    iagree Very good post for those wanting to fish them with a fly! I personally went back to gear fishing them after several years on the fly. Gear fishing allows MEGA baits that are key to getting MEGA bass. Trolling you could maybe use a huge fly but you will not be able to cast and retrieve a 10' fly for long....

Anyway.....

#1 RULE With Bass: They are not trout. They are nothing like trout in behavior and how you fish them. If you are catching bass with trout techniques they are usually dinks.
  19. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +542 / 0
    Well my buddy tosses some pretty large streamers for muskies from June through Oct. Occasionally, you catch a nice smallmouth too. As I recall 9 weight rods, muskie/ Pike taper fly lines and 6-8 inch streamers and divers get it done. It's been a few years though.

These fish are from New York not WA.

Sox Vs. Eveil empire Manana,
    cds
  20. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +267 / 0
    Just a suggestion, WDFW Fishing Prospects (online) and the WA State Fishing Guide provide good info on what swims where in the state. 10 min of surfing will get you more lakes and ponds with bass than you can get to. Both sources are reasonably up to date...WDFW is a little more current whereas WSFG has a much larger list with better detail.