A little photo journal from Up North

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by NorthernExposure, Nov 10, 2005.

1. NorthernExposure not bad for a yankee

Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Just thought all you kind washington folk might get a kick out of what's going on on vancouver island. A little while ago while floating the Cowichan for coho salmon i had a little look at one of my favourite side channels. I noticed some spawning chums and brown trout - behind some of the chums was a silver ghost about 20 inches. Luckily i brought the 5 wt SP and a box full of egg patterns. had a good little session - the one side channel sight fishing produced these two rainbows, along with a half dozen others. a nice addition to an otherwise slow day of coho fishing. The photos are posted below:

http://img31.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p10106547fb.jpg

http://img270.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p10106569vm.jpg
  2. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    nice pics.

Brown trout??
  3. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    White tips on the fins sure say char, but the coloring sure is Bow....:confused:
  4. NorthernExposure not bad for a yankee

Victoria, BC
    Chad -

The Cowichan is the only river in BC with a population of naturally spawning browns. As they are fall spawners, they were spawning in the side channel like the chums. The rainbows (like the ones pictured) will feed on their eggs as well. I don't target the browns while they are spawning, but i do chase the rainbows that eat their eggs.
  5. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
  6. ssickle1 Slow and Low

Hood River, OR
    sure look like small steel?
  7. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +176 / 0
    NorthernExposure: are those browns fluvial, adfluvial or anadromous? That one in the second pic sure looks chrome for a brownie, but I've only caught them in lakes in WA and streams in Idaho.
  8. WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Fife, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    im guessing he wasnt intending on showing pictures of the browns?? but nice rainbows!
  9. Bill Reed New Member

Fort Collins, Colorado
    If you read NorthernExposure's post carefully, he speaks of "these two rainbows." If they were browns, they were obviously cross-dressing as rainbows.
  10. greyghost Member

Coastal Rivers, OR
    O. mykiss,
    The fish pictured are O. mykiss.

NE,
    Nice pics of great fish. On the great lakes, huge lake run browns follow in the Kings in the Early fall and feast on eggs and nymphs kicked up by salmon digging redds. Once the salmon have pretty much wrapped up in November, the Browns go on the spawn. The first month the browns are in the river, 6-15 lb browns can be easily caught nymphing or swinging a variety of streamers. If you aren't opposed to combat like fishing, you can catch many browns pushing double digits. Unfortunately, many anglers don't recognize the start of the spawn and continue sight fishing to huge browns while they occupy their redds.

Pete
  11. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +176 / 0
    So much for my reading comprehension and fish identification skills.:eek:
  12. NorthernExposure not bad for a yankee

Victoria, BC
    mykiss-

while the photos aren't of browns, i did mention that there are browns in the cowichan. I have been told some are estuarian (like a sea run cutthroat), some are full blown anadromous ( i caught one coho fishing in Oct - dime bright with sea lice and about 8 lbs), and some are are simply resident fish. The majority are lake run with a life cycle similar to the rainbows, moving in and out of the river to spawn and gorge on salmon eggs and fry. They are not especially numerous, however. I catch about one brown for every 10 rainbows. They are a nearly always in fantastic condition, and avg between 14-20 inches. They do make a nice addition to spring steelheading, filling a niche similar to a dolly varden.