A little piece of Heaven

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nooksack Mac, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    Well from what I remember the ladder was between the footbridge and Dupont. I believe during a good flow fish could get past without the ladder, but I was fishing there in the late 80's so I might have CRS.

2. CLO

CLO Bonk Hatcheries

Media:
    There are a lot of guys fishing for chum below the foot bridge right now. I haven't seen any of them hook up in a long time. I don't think the fish are in yet. Chum can make it above the falls pretty easy due to the time of the year they come in but I didn't see many pinks make it above the fish ladder falls. If they get coho or steelhead in "holding pen" they truck them above the falls and release them...I guess that works.

3. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    Back when I was up there they would ship steelhead upstream. However I caught both steelhead and sea runs behind the police station, I assume they jumped the falls.

Are they still planting kings? I don't think there were pinks back then, and only a few coho.

4. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

There are still pinks in the creek, and the odd steelhead, I don't know if they still plant it. In any event, it's a testament to mother nature that it could rebound so quickly after such a devastating event! So tread lightly and with reverence.

"History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of men" Blue oyster cult

5. Scott Orness

Scott Orness Small fish in a big pond

6. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

There were about two dozen fishing in the park yesterday, where the water from the falls meets the tidal pool. One salmon was being played and caught as I watched. I don't often fish there, in that mob scene, but it shows that salmon are or will be above the falls soon.