A Mini-wriggler

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by pittendrigh, Apr 6, 2010.

1. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

#16 DaiRiki 125, snelled to a tippet. Bead goes between hook eye and the back side of the diving bill.
    Diving bill comes from a Costco Tomato container, roughed up with sand paper at appropriate spots.
    Body is closed-cell foam, coated with thinned-out water-based fabric cement, after attaching tail.
    Hook-keeper loop is flat waxed nylon, knotted around a fat needle and then soaked in fabric cement.
    Body is built on a #15 beading needle and then taken off the needle prior to gluing (with ZapCA) onto the diving bill.
    Tail is marabou.

Drives fish absolutely crazy. They will refuse multiple times: swirl out for sniff, zoom back into hiding,
    come back out, refuse, hide, sniff, refuse, hide and then BAM.
    Bigger wigglers are easier to make, but not nearly as effective as the mini-wrigglers, for some reason.

[​IMG]

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

That sick thing looks dirty, dirty, down and dirty! yeah! Needs a name, how about "down and dirty digger wiggler!":clown:

3. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

I love it! One of my favorite gear lures was a flatfish and I was just thinking the other day about how to accomplish the same action in a fly. I'll have to try some of these...

4. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Nice! I tie a trout version small, but not that small....maybe I should scale down further?

5. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

The Rapalica?

[​IMG]

6. that'll hunt

7. riseform

riseform Active Member

I'm guessing you've never thrown anything away? Always fun to see your creations, nice work.