a new recipe

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Alex MacDonald, May 3, 2012.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Well, it's new to me, anyway! I tried marinating some elk steaks overnight in pear juice and Spanish Rosemary, pan seared the steaks and threw `em on the 'que while I added brandy and juniper berries to the pear juice, reduced it all, and when the steaks were done, tossed them back into the pan to finish. Next time I think I'll flambe them in a little more brandy (well, Cognac for me), and see what that does to the flavor. They weren't half-bad, with a hint of sweetness to them.

Guy Gregory likes this.
  2. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Hell Ya!!!!

3. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Alex, keep working on those recipes for September. I'm already hungry.

4. Alex MacDonald

What I need is a chef's apron with "Chef Ptomaine" on it!

5. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

What's this called? Elk meets the Western half de Europe ala Alex? :)

6. Alex MacDonald

Haven't given it much thought yet. Having a French mother, I learned that Coq au vin was the one who couldn't make it across the road... You can hide pretty much anything in a good sauce:D

7. rasbrown

rasbrown Member

Ah, I remember good ole' Chef Ptomaine from the Cafe Rock on fish-head Fridays...rolly, poley fish-heads!

8. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I used to have a boss who famously said, "I'd eat shit if it had BĂ©arnaise sauce on it!" Not sure I'd go quite that far, but often times the sauce is better than what's under it.

K

9. Alex MacDonald

Bill Mumy did that song! I think he's the all-grown-up Wil Robinson on that black&white TV show, what?? Space Family Robinson, or something like that?

10. So how is Spanish Rosemary different from 'Merican Rosemary?

11. Alex MacDonald

It's the plant variety, most likely. I'll bet it's grown here, but that's the name on the bottle.

12. Does it look/smell/taste any different? Or is it marketing? I've just never heard of anything but "rosemary." Well, there are the more decorative extra-flowery varietals, but even those taste and smell the same to me.

13. Alex MacDonald

Not that I can tell. You're probably right, marketing gone "upscale"!

14. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

That show would have been "Lost in Space."

15. dfl

dfl Active Member

So, when can we all come to your house for supper?