A nice day with some friendly cutts...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Josh, Jun 8, 2007.

1. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Media:
    Nice report Josh :beer2:

I hit some 'skinnier' water after work today and had a blast catching wild cutts and bows on the 3wt. I love this time of year!

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I'm actually really stoked at how many people have replied here. It's cool to know that fly fishers as a group aren't "size whores" to the extent that they can't enjoy a fun day with small fish.

If I were a stinky hippie, I'd say something like "The journey IS the destination" or some such crap. But I'm not. I hate patchouli and the Grateful Dead.

3. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Fishing small water is cool and "The Dead" are cool.
    My first love of fly fishing, the big ones were only 8".
    I taught my wife to fly fish in the skinny water with the little cutts.
    All my children and grand children would rather fish the creek than the lake for the hogs.
    There's always the chance that a wise old 12"er will come out and grab your fly and learn ya a lesson.
    I always get some on me when that happens.

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Bet you think different now after all the positive responses to this thread! Some of the very best days I spend on the water are just like the one you described. The payoff isn't the size of the fish but the thrill of coaxing them to your fly, the feeling of being alone and one with nature's splendor, and the antidote that such a day provides to the stress and pressure of our everyday life.

IMHO, your idea about tracking down a shorter, more flexible rod is a good one. I use a variety of short cane and glass rods from 5'9" to 7'6" and all are great fun on small streams. You'll be glad you got one.

K