A nice late season rooster!

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Rick Todd, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Went over the hump to the Othello area on Thursday at zero dark thirty arriving in the Whaluke Slope at 7:30. Friend and I did a lot of walking and got into one fairly large quail covey. We each scratched one out of the sky and nothing after that. We could have jump shot a few mallards out of running water but weren't loaded with steel. Then we went to an un-named spot closer to Othello and my new setter tracked and pointed this nice old rooster, which I was lucky enough to shoot! BTW-VERY few ducks in the Whaluke in spite of some nice open water at the inlet creek! We hunted ducks Friday and managed 2 mallards, one gadwall and two teal for 3 hunters. Not red hot action and about 10 degrees so it felt good to wrap my hands around a hot cup of coffee! Happy New Year every one! Rick View attachment 37561

2. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Rick, well done on not shooting the ducks with lead and congrats on your trophy. I imagine it was a beautiful day out there, too.

Happy New Year.

3. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    I think the whole columbia basin is steel or tungsten only (non-toxic shot) whether its for migratory or upland birds. Nice rooster, each one now a days is a trophy! They are getting tougher and tougher to find especially on public property.

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Well done, Rick . . . if you were in the Wahluke proper, it IS steel/non-tox for everything & the Fed Wardens watch the area quite closely (as are the Eastern WA Pheasant Enhancement/Release sites). Nice Rooster . . .

5. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

View attachment 37579 View attachment 37578 Nice work Rick,they are hard to come by. I hunted the last 2 days of the season for pheasants on the res in yakima,and managed to knock one down each day.Not great but they were good points by my dog and good shots by me.Happy hunting!!!

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

The use of non-toxic is expanding all over the state.
    It is just another thing to have to watch out for in the state of confusion.
    Nice birds by the way.
    Any wild rooster killed after Christmas is a bonus.

7. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I looked in the state regs and I don't see the Wahluke Slope area listed for non-toxic shot. Pheasant release sites as of 2011 are now non-toxic, and they used to release pheasant in the White Cliff area of the Wahluke but no longer. Ringold is close to there and in 2011 is a non-toxic zone. I looked everywhere I could find, and certainly the majority of the Columbia Basin is still legal for lead, and if the Wahluke is non-toxic, I couldn't find it in the regs. Thanks, Rick

8. Jim Ficklin

Earlier this year I was checked by a Fed Warden while chasing quail at Wahluke . . . the guy used a cow magnet on my shells (and it didn't "stick" and he seemed disappointed, since I was carrying a 28-gauge.) . . . I didn't question "why," I'm just passing this along. Ringold has been non-tox for all game birds for quite a few years now.

9. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Thanks Jim-It must be a federal rule that doesn't appear in the State regs. We have hunted that area for years and never knew about it being lead free! (except for waterfowl of course) I'll let my hunting buddies know! Rick

10. Jim Ficklin

There are so many Federal rules for Ringold/Wahluke that we almost can't enjoy the area . . . just didn't want to see you get in a bind.

11. bushwacker

bushwacker Member

Well done! Every time I get the urge to hunt east at this time of year, my better judgment reminds me to check the weather. I'm either older and wiser, or just too lazy to cross the Cascades.

Hats off to you late season hunters. Growing up in Idaho I never gave the weather a second thought, but after living over on the west side I've become a wimp. That said, I'm still breaking ice in hopes on bringing in some Mallards on the Skagit.

12. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I'm the old guy in my hunting group (62), and the group I went with range from a 22 YO, 35 YO, and three guys in their 50's. So those young guys keep me from becoming sedentary! Of course, I have to work out every morning before work so I can keep up with these young guys, who I also ski with! Rick

13. Upton O

Home Page:
    Rick, you are right on with hanging with the younger group. I've had the same experience and I love it. They get a lot of entertainment from me, too, in my struggles and "old fashioned" thinking. Working out has really given me great returns. I was reading the other day about the increase in retention of memory by those who walk three days a week or more. I guess I better bump it up to six times a week.

14. bushwacker

bushwacker Member

Rick, I'm a skier too. This year I bought my Stevens Seasons Pass early thinking I'd save some money. In November I injured my knee and waited a month before going to my Doc. (It always recovered in the past)
    The Doc. takes one look at the MRI and sends me to a Orthopedic surgeon. I go in thinking a miniscus tear,
    he takes one look and says knee replacement. He ordered an x-ray. Bone on bone. I'm now preparing for a second opinion, hoping for knee injections that will allow me to keep going for another year.

My advise is enjoy while you can, but you do reach a point where protecting those knee and shoulder joints is more important than keeping up with thirty year olds.

15. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Bushwacker-that is a bummer, plus a waste of a season pass! I've had quite a few friends who no longer ski due to various joint problems and a couple who have had total knees-with good results BTW! So far I have probably been lucky, and I do find that I am more cautious as time goes on! Rick

16. Upton O

Home Page:
    Its ironic, I've been hunting and handling firearms with lots of people since 1955 yet I've never seen anyone hurt. On the other hand, everyone I know who skies or plays tennis has been injured at least once to some degree. I'm glad I don't pursue the dangerous sports like skiing, or tennis, or maybe even basketball.

17. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

BW, Just so you know I had an 80yo neighbor in Oregon who had both knees replaced. After he recoup'd he said he should have done it years earlier.