A nice thank you rod/reel?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by palmettores, Nov 14, 2011.

1. palmettores New Member

SC
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Someone took me on their boat to the bahamas and enjoyed using one of my fly rods while we were there. If I wanted to consider getting them a nice outfit to keep on their very nice crusing boat, give me some ideas....I'd like to be able to possibly engrave the boat name on the reel. I am thinking an 8 or 9 wt. Budget - $500-750. And remember, it needs to look nice but really will likely not ever be used by people that really will know the difference. But when a man steps off his nice big boat or lends it to a guest, he should at least have a nice setup.
  2. lylelovett666 Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Contact Orvis.
  3. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    No better choice than a Tibor.
  4. RustE drifting about

Great Lakes
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    While they are nice, a Tibor reel alone would occupy the entire budget.

Boat guys tend to like heavier rods, so I would go with a 9wt or 10wt.

I agree with a prior post about contacting Orvis and ordering this as a gift. From what I know Orvis can personalize the rod to include a name but does not engrave reels. Right now the Hydros rods are on sale, including a 9wt outfit for bonefish and stripers.

Another "value per dollar" option is Colton. USA made reels and UK made rods with good warranty and customer service. Although I do not believe Colton will do any personalization.

Otherwise plenty of WaterWorks-Lamson and Ross reels on closeouts to find a good deal.
  5. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    Maybe a rod from a custom builder is in order.
  6. palmettores New Member

SC
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    A custom rod would be neat huh? You could probably get the name put on that and then jusst buy a good quality reel. I saw the Tibors and that would be awesome but like you say would eat up the whole budget. Plus, for something getting so little use and which some newbie could break, drop, etc. I think nice but not the top of the line is in order.

What is a good Ross series on closeout to keep an eye out for. I need a new 10wt reel too.
  7. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +845 / 1
    Orvis can personalize both the rod and reel.
  8. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Might want to check out the now discontinued Sage Xi 2 rods. Check with some of the board sponsor fly shops to see if they have any left, then spend the balance on the best reel you can get.
  9. RustE drifting about

Great Lakes
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    A custom rod would indeed be neat as the wraps could be done to match the boat colors or include favorite colors. The blank would have a warranty from the manufacturer but most builders will charge a fee to re-wrap the rod. It's not a bad deal by any means.

I have seen the Ross Vexsis and Momentum reels in some sizes or colors on sale. Lamson is updating the Litespeed reels so the current design is on closeout at many retailers.
  10. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    If I were getting a gift for a casual Fly fishermen, and the rod would essentially be a little extra bling for the boat I would go for all Orvis. Like it or not they are the recognizable brand in Fly Fishing. When you get a gift from Orvis you know that it's high quality. You could also have them make up a kit with all the accessories that he will need to be able to fish the rod.
  11. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +484 / 0
    Flybill and Tyler Spier both build amazing rods. Custom work with your friend's name on it and such. If he isn't going to be able to tell the difference between a very good blank and a top of the line blank, I'd get in touch with one of those guys.
  12. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0