A novice question: caring for your flys

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brennen Busse, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Brennen Busse Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Would anyone be kind enough to share with me how your tips on how to properly take care of your wet and dry flys after a day on the water?

Thank you.
  2. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +847 / 1
    There's only one thing you shouldn't do, and that's store them wet in a metal box. Normally, I'll let flies dry on a foam patch in the boat, sling pack, etc. Hang 'em on the visor of your truck - that adds tons of style and mojo to your fishing karma.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Let them air dry so that the hooks and/or box does not rust. Unsure putting them on your visor does anything except keep you from being fly free when you forget to load or pack your box...then it is a trip saver!
  4. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +724 / 1
  5. Brennen Busse Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Thanks for the advice all. Good to have redundancy in the event of forgetting the box at home. Happy New Year
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    My overhead in my truck is loaded with fly's that I have used and cut off. If I'm sitting in my truck and wonder what to use I just look up and choose. I have dries, nymph's and WB's stuck there. All barb-less of course.
  7. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    I use foam soft boxes and have had no problems with rusting hooks.
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    About the only way you end up with rusty hooks is to leave them soaking in Water or fish in the Salt. I usually just put them back into my box if I'm fishing in fresh water. They never seem to rust on me.
  9. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    For the day: I put them in a small empty pocket of my vest. One with a mesh front is even better. That at least starts them drying. At home I put them into the coils of my tying lamp's support spring, or in the dust jackets of shelved books, or just loose on a table, overnight. Before putting them back in a box, primp them with your fingers, like your mother straightening out your cowlick. Untangle the feathers and twist the wings back to proper orientation. Resharpen points if needed.