A perfect fishing day

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by IveofIone, May 15, 2013.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

IMG_0808.JPG IMG_0814.JPG IMG_0809.JPG IMG_0816.JPG You couldn't order a nicer day than we had up here today. It was 65 degrees (much nicer than yesterday's snow in the air) with high wispy clouds, sunny with a few big puffy clouds for a backdrop and little to no wind. I visited little Crescent Lake near the Canadian border and except for one humorous interlude had the lake to myself the entire day.

The lake is very high and as a result the tiny little one lane road to access it has a lot of water covering the road. I drove through the water and parked my rig at the end of the road and off to the side in case someone else came. I had kicked to the end of the lake when a guy shows up with a Ford SuperDuty FX-4 4wd Crew Cab diesel with an 8 foot bed towing a 14' trailer with ATV's on it. To my utter astonishment he drove that thing down the road past where I was parked. I could barely turn my Explorer around down there and there was no way in hell he was ever going to turn his rig around. Then it got better. Some folks bring lawn chairs down to the water's edge, push a forked stick in the ground, sling some power bait into the next zip code, crack a beer and sit back and wait. These guys did it better. They backed the trailer up until the rear was overhanging the water and fished from the ATV's! It was too far away to get a decent picture and by the time I got close enough they were giving up. Then he had to back the whole thing about 200 yards to get out of there. Not my idea of a skookum fishing rig.

Fishing was really slow on sinking lines using both a Deep 5 and 7. The fish were small and rather lethargic. Some never fought at all, just hatchery zombies that have recently been dumped in there. In fact it was more like the fish had been caught yesterday, fried today and then sluiced onto the boat in a slurry of bacon grease and cornmeal. Then things started to get better and I was hooking fish with some regularity. I had almost completely circled the lake by now and there was starting to be some surface activity. I changed over to a dry line and started to catch fish on chironomids. I was doing quite well when a Mayfly hatch broke out. I had left my dry flies at home for some reason and only had a few but nevertheless caught fish on what I had. Still nothing bigger than 13'' but they were taking drys so it was a helluva lot of fun. I also caught fish on size 16 Halfbacks right in the surface film along with soft hackles. The Mayfly hatch was so intense that at one point the water looked like a tan fog was coming off and it was all just dancing Mayflys. Fish went crazy porpoising out of the water in a feeding frenzy. I caught some brilliantly colored cutthroats that would rival golden trout in beauty and some much more energetic rainbows.

The lake is in grizzly and cougar country and the far end is pretty darned wild. I was down there changing flies with my head down when I heard a several hundred pound noise up in the brush followed by a mean growl. I never saw anything but I can take a hint and kicked out of there. It was a great day on a pretty little lake loaded with fish and no other people. I'll take tomorrow off then hit a zipper lips lake with 16'' rainbows on Friday. They should be hungry for some SimiSeal leeches. IMG_0818.JPG

sweetlou, Irafly, smole and 8 others like this.
  2. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Wow Ive, sounds like fun. And a beautiful day as well. Dry fly fishing is always fun, even for the small ones.

Wayne

3. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    Very cool Ive, as usual...I am jealous. Glad you had a good time.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I can't wait for your next report!

5. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Rock on Ive...

6. jjaims

jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

Beautiful lake. Having it to yourself makes even better. Top it all off with quality entertainment. Great report and pics.

James

7. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Nice report Ive, the mental picture is good enough...

8. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Beautiful Ive, you could not ask for a better day to be on the water. Thanks for sharing.

9. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

Good for you Ive. I envy you and your great opportunities. Hope to run into you in the Tonasket area this year. I'm going to make it over just don't know when yet. Nice report and looks like a beautiful spot. Maybe that was ole "Squatch" ?

10. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Great report!!

11. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I'm jealous. Great report and pics. Thanks.

12. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

I was up there until last Tuesday. It was a wonderful trip doing some busy work on our house. I love that lake and can verify what some dumb people do there to fish it. I didn't have time to soak a line Ive. Maybe one day we will meet up

13. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

Heaven