A Perfect Rod for SMALL Fish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wet line, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Sage has come up with a #00 weight fly rod. At least this is the first time I have ever seen such a light rod.

For the light rod fanatic this must just about be the ultimate rod. A miserable 8 inch fish would become a monster. Those hatchery trout would become almost like real fish on such a rod! You could fish the neighbors fish pond and get a thrill catching some gold fish!

Now don't get all excited and agitated at me. I am toying with the idea of getting one to fish for some small creek Brookies. Generally I would never consider anything lighter than a 5wt but this is just way too cool! Blue Gill, Crappie and Perch would be a reel hoot with this rod.

And yes my friend Old Man, I too am VERY tired of all the politics and everyone telling me how to vote. At least this might be kind of fun for awhile. And just out of curriosity what kind of flies would a person use on such small stick?

Dave

2. I've had the chance to cast both a Sage 1wt and a 0wt. While you're right that both make small fish feel like steelhead, sadly neither is worth a shit in anything stronger than a puff of wind. I've also owned a 7'9" Orvis Silver Label 2wt which, while slower than either of the Sages, also had more horsepower to power a line in a slight wind. The problem is that lines in 2wt and lighter aren't really very heavy which means there's very little mass in them to power a cast.

After 'discovering' bamboo rods (like they were missing, eh?), I've come to the conclusion that the ideal small fish rod isn't one of lighter line weight but one with a slower action instead. Since slower rods are less stiff than faster ones, their greater flex protects lighter tippets while letting small fish put a bigger bend in them.

But slower doesn't mean less powerful. With a short (< 7'6"), medium action 4wt cane, I can still punch out a 50 or 60 foot cast, even in a respectable wind. The difference is that the 4wt line has so much more mass than a 2wt that it's less easily turned by wind while in the air.

So, my personal favorites?

In bamboo, for small streams where 20 feet is a long cast, I like a 5'9" Orvis Ultralight or a Pezon Midget 6', both for 4wt. For slightly bigger water (like the NF Snoqualmie), I like a 6'6" Orvis Flea 4wt or an Orvis 7' Seven/Three for 3wt line. For small to medium sized trout in lakes or medium streams, the Hardy Marvel 7'6" 3/2 4wt is simply one of the best rods ever built.

In graphite, my favorite rod is the Sage 389-4 Light Line. Perhaps the best 3wt plastic rod ever.

K

3. That must be quite a rod, the lightest ever made according to sage. light as air i bet. probably can't tell if its in your hand or if you dropped it. i bet the special line is 10# mono. Would be great for some lakes anyway. :D

4. Yes, size does matter

Dave.

I don't know what the AFTMA line rating is for an OO line; there may not even be one, yet. We're all free to play around with extremes of fly tackle; wouldn't have it any other way. But one of the ways you can tell that you've got too light a line/rod for the task at hand is when the fly, while being cast, begins to make itself felt, like a rambunctous dog on a light leash. Could it be that even a Size 20 or 22 dry fly would overload a OO line? If so, it's too darn light by half. Personally, a 3-weight is the lightest line I've ever felt a need for, under any conditions.

5. Sage came out with 0, 1, 2 weight rods about 6 years ago. I even have a one weight that cast great. I’ve used this rod at casting computation in the area and done while with it. I also used this rod fishing Methow River, and caught some nice fish with it, now a member of my fishing club has been using it all summer and I’m wondering if I’m going to get it back?

Sage came out with there own lines for those rods which work great. At Carnation this year (FFF), Sage had the “00” there for any one too try.

6. the 00 wt rod isnt worth a cent in anything but dead calm. Also, a slow action 2 or 3 will feel almost as nice and it will be alot more fishable.

Peace,
    Andy

7. Well fishing somethong that light,you would need to use size 20 and on up hook sizes. But with your bad eyes I don't see how in the heck you are going to thread them small eyes. You would probably spend all day trying to thread a size 22 hook. I know I would. I have trouble with size 18 now.

Jim

8. I recall about ten years ago going thru the "Light Rod/Light Line" phase, had a 7'9" Orvis 2wt, had a lot of fun with it, but soon got over that, and went back to rods/lines that make more sense. All I can speak with experience on is that 2wt, it would throw a #12 EHC well, but a hopper was a diff story, and any wind created more of a challange than I wanted. If you, or anyone, wants a 00 weight, by all means get it and enjoy it, that is what it is all about, and no such thing as too many toys.

9. Amen :D

K

10. I always thought when you go fishing you deal with the wind; you don't go to the lake/stream/river and see that it is windy and say it’s to windy I’M GOING HOME! :confused:

Do you? :confused:

11. I enjoy using shorter rods (71/2' or less), but I have a small but annoying problem: The leader I'm using is always a couple feet longer than the rod itself. When I reel in my line to walk to the next pool, the line-leader knot is pulled back through the first couple of guides. It seems I'm always fussing with the leader-line connector knot, trying to work it back through the guides and the tip before I can make another cast. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

12. I have had the same problem with my short cane rods. Instead of hooking your fly on the keeper just ahead of the winding check, try hooking it instead on the stripping guide and then wrap the tippet backward and around your reel foot before tightening up the slack in your line. That should add about 2-3 extra feet to the amount out through the tip top.

K

13. Good idea kent, I'll try it.

For me, short limber rods add a lot of pleasure when fishing small streams and ponds for smaller fish.

After reading John Gierach's essay, "Bamboo", I'm getting the bug, even though I probably can only afford to look.

14. For the price of a new Sage XP you can buy a good bamboo rod. While some cane rods cost far more, if you're careful what you buy, you can fish 'em for years and then sell 'em for what you paid for them (adjusted for inflation) or even make a profit. Some Grangers that sold three or four years ago for a couple hundred bucks now sell for $600 or more. When you're ready to start looking, send me a PM or email and I'll be happy to share some pointers.

K

15. I had an opportunity to cast the Sage rods a while back in Alaska, where we used them for dry-fly fishing on Arctic Grayling. That was a serious hoot. It takes a little getting used to. But with light tackle on small fish you can reinvent a corner of your game. You still need to use an adequate tippet to assure you are not overplaying your fish.
    My experience was that they cast better in the wind than heavier lines, for heavier lines also have greater diameter and resistence.

16. Bob wrote:
    “My experience was that they cast better in the wind than heavier lines, for heavier lines also have greater diameter and resistance.”

Is that true? :confused:

I didn’t know that! :rolleyes:

17. When I was about six, I started fishing with one of my dad's bamboo rods, a Montague if I remember right. Some of the guides were taped on with electrician's tape but it still caught a lot of perch. Later I got my very own metal telescope rod. It was one of my treasured possessions until it rusted out. When I was in high school, I spent my lawn mowing money on a Phillipson fiberglass rod. Then, I got another fiberglass rod, a Scientific Angler System Seven. My wife gave me a wonderful Orvis graphite a year after we were married. It's still my favorite rod. I've picked up a couple more graphite rods from E-Bay. Now, after reading John Gierach's essay, Bamboo, I'm considering getting a bamboo rod. I've come full circle!

18. Hey, EBOB, since you won't be needing em anymore, why not sell me your old glass rods?? What with some nice graphite and now bamboo, you wouldn't miss em! I aint kiddin, those are fine old rods, interested??
    Keith

19. Keith, The Phillipson is long gone and the Scientific Angler rod I still use as a loner rod to kids and others I fish with who don't have fly fishing equipment. My nephew's girlfriend used it all summer in the high lakes. Thanks for asking though.

20. Brian; "Is that true?

Of course not.
    I lied about it.
    I lie all of the time.
    Im a guide...
    That's what guides do.
    Besides, I like to take up space here.
    Use a 12 weight! :clown: