A question for steelhead masters...

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by HogWrangler, Sep 22, 2006.

1. HogWrangler

HogWrangler Member

Media:
    I was just wondering for those of you that do catch a good deal of steelhead, what is the ratio of steelhead that you get, i mean, for every one wild steelie, how many hatchery fish do you catch? Just wondering. Can either be your stats from this year or many, I have always wanted to know from people who actually catch steelhead what the numbers are really like.

2. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Depends on the time of year and the river you fish. I think last year I went around 50/50. However from Feb on I think I only got 1 hatchery fish, most of the hatchery fish were taken in December/Jan for me.

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    So if I post does that mean I'm a self admitted steelhead master? This should be interesting.:D Most of the fish I catch are hatchery fish, are there any native fish left anymore?bawling: I'll get back to you in seven days with a report of their existance.:hmmm:

4. Sageman

Sageman Member

Depends where you fish. Some rivers I fish are 100% native, some are 50/50, etc. Also depends on the time of year. If you catch 100 fish in a given river, you will most likely catch a ratio that mirrors the ratio of the run into that river during that season.

5. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    This sunday Ill be on a trib of the columbia where Ive heard of some donkey wild fish, I caught probably 30% wild fish last season but the ones that I caught were so much more exiting than your run of the mill hatchery fish.
    cheers
    skeels

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Hog,

I want to be a steelhead master when I grow up, but meanwhile, the mix of hatchery and wild steelhead I have caught has depended on when and where I fished. For example, I've never caught a hatchery steelhead in British Columbia, mainly because there are no hatchery programs on the rivers I fished.

Usually all my March and April steelhead are wild, but this year there were some late returning hatchery steelhead in two rivers I fished. Most of my fall steelhead are hatchery fish because most of them come from Columbia system tributaries where there are very few wild steelhead. Etc., etc.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

7. HogWrangler

HogWrangler Member

Media:
    Thank you to all who have replied, I am able to say that i have never caught a hatchery fish, though with my total steelhead caught being 0 I can't say i have caught a wild steelhead either. :(

8. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    No master by any means, but I catch maybe 20% native. I have only caught three this year, each on different rivers.

9. HogWrangler

HogWrangler Member

Media:
    Only 3 steelhead for you this year mike???!!! Or 3 nates?