A rookies log.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Danielocean, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Sure! Water was a little cloudy, but nothing crazy. I was standing at the head of a gravel bar and moved downstream; there were no obstructions that I could see, just a nice seam to work. Had my gear right on the bottom, and got a real subtle take. I will be back with a flyrod soon, and I'll let you know if that works.

2. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

I do not know what is wrong with me. I just bought another 8 wt rod and reel for absolutely no reason. My idea was thinking I should have a backup setup. Wow, I think I am sick.

3. Danielocean

Anybody want to go fishing Sunday?

4. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

I thought you gave up steelhead for the foreseeable future?

5. New rod has cured his ills.

6. Danielocean

Well I thought my new job was going to be having tons of mandatory overtime, but I guess that changed. Now that I know that I will have weekends available I continue with my commitment to steelhead.

7. Danielocean

Well I do not know about that. I want to get the Rio Versitip line set, and I decided what the hell and bought a new real, and rod for the line too. It was a unforeseeable splurge that I did not see coming.

8. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

So what reel and rod did you buy?
    I've heard those versi-tip lines can be difficult to cast with a single hander.

9. Danielocean

Well we are surely going to see. The feedback has been mixed for sure. It is not anything special, I bought a Redington pursuit 8 wt rod, and sage 1800 series reel. Like I said its not as extravagant like a sage or anything but I really fell in love with the blank, and action. I really liked the looks of the Voyant but that just felt terrible to me.

10. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Should have bought a two hander...............

Also you should catch a fish so I can stop reading this thread and facing utter disappointment when all you've done is buy a new rod.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  11. Danielocean

Im trying im trying.

12. Danielocean

Well I have officially lost it. In a matter of a week I have ordered 3 new rods, 3 new reels, and line to boot. I love working again. No I do not want medication this is freaken fun.

13. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Daniel... I wish the best to you but it is my prediction fly fishing will be yesterday's hobby inside the year. Unless you Slow down enjoy the ride, build a knowledge base instead of that gear stash.

Don't get me wrong I've bought tons of rods lines and reels...but mostly in the last third of my almost 35 year fascination with fly fishing.

Fly fishing isn't a passing its a passion.

James

14. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Daniel... I wish the best to you but it is my prediction fly fishing will be yesterday's hobby inside the year. Unless you Slow down enjoy the ride, build a knowledge base instead of that gear stash.

Don't get me wrong I've bought tons of rods lines and reels...but mostly in the last third of my almost 35 year fascination with fly fishing.

Fly fishing isn't a passing its a passion.

James

15. Get a pontoon before you get another rod.

be sure to post in watercraft section with the title "At the helm a river admirals rookie log"

Start by posting which boat you should get.

Option A. Costco Pontoon Boat
    Option B. Dave Scadden assult or renegade
    Option C. Watermaster

Contintue to argue all the points of which boat you should purchase and then settle with the Costco pontoon boat

underachiever likes this.
  16. Danielocean

Dude you read my mind. Im already researching pontoons. Biggestbproblem is how to haul it. I dont have a truck.

17. Scadden assult or watermaster

I can fit two of eother in my civic

18. Danielocean

Holy shit. Are you able to disassemble them or something

19. They inflate. They also deflate. Nifty, huh?

flyfool, JesseCFowl and Jason Rolfe like this.
  20. Danielocean

Get the hell outa here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.