A rookies log.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Danielocean, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

I know I am going to be on "the river" which one I really do not know yet.

2. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

By church you mean the Seahawks game at 10, right?

I figure if I'm out there by 5:30 I can get 3-4 hours in on the river and still be home by kickoff. Seems perfect to me

JesseC likes this.
  3. I might float Sunday but this is my option if Thomas ends up not getting his gear

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

4. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Alright its official I am going to be on either the sky or stilly at 5:30ish on Sunday. Figure I'll limit out on chrome just before 6am, get in a nice nap before kickoff, and enjoy the hawks game.

Open invite to whoever wants to join me

mgarritson likes this.
  5. Danielocean

I am calling your ass. Pick up your phone.

6. Good Luck! Fished NF Stilly from 600-1100 this morning...nothing. Trout were eating duns all over the place, but I didn't want to give in and go back to the truck for the 5wt. Muddy, but fishable.

Love this thread!

7. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

There's no way in hell I'd leave a rod in my vehicle.

8. Yeah, I know. Forgot my pack and didn't feel like hand carrying it while wading with the spey rod. It wasn't one of my "good" rods or I wouldn't have.

9. Darthmonkey

Darthmonkey Active Member

Well hot damn Dan done got himself a spray pole. Yer fucked, just FYI.

10. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

John I figure when you upgrade your two hander I'll pick up your old stick for pennies on the dollar. Thanks in advance bro namath.

Patrick Allen likes this.
  11. Darthmonkey

Darthmonkey Active Member

I heard a rumor from Pacific Fly Fishers that someone brought in a Meiser Highlander Classic 13' four piece rod rated for a 5/6/7 that comes with an extra tip and Godshall 480 grain skagit head so they could sell it on eBay. And I may or may not know that said rod loves a Rio AFS 6/7 head that I just so happen to have laying around...

12. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

I may or may not need said eBay link

13. Danielocean

You may or may not WAIT WAIT what the hell are we talking about again.

14. Danielocean

So I had a nice afternoon on the Skykomish, and first day with the spey rod. Needless to say that I have ALOT of work to do on my casting. Every now and then I would have a really nice cast, and then some of them would just suck. Soooo, I am going to pick up some lessons before I engrave any bad habits into my casting technique. Still I had a wonderful day and can really see the potential in the spey rod. It was very easy to reach the points where I was struggling to get too with my single hand. It was not until I wanted to try to add some distance when my technique said NOPE not gonna happen. I think this rod has some good mojo though, I caught a nice fish this afternoon when it started raining a bit. I do not know if it was a bull, or a dolly either way I treated it like it was on the endangered species list and sent it back to the river in peace. It is no steel head unfortunately so I guess all I can say is close but no cigar, or perhaps this is a sign that I am getting closer.

Attached Files:

mgarritson and plaegreid like this.
  15. Danielocean

Also an FYI for anyone looking to get into the spey scene. I purchased an Echo Ion reel and I do not think this particular reel is very good. The one that I purchased sounded like a bad rubber squeal when the drag was engaged at high speeds. Kinda sounds like a loud tire squealing. I think I am going to step up to something like a Lamson Konic or Guru.

16. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

You caught yourself a bull trout there cowboy.

17. Danielocean

Okay thank's.

18. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Nice looking fish Daniel!

19. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Awesome fish. I've yet to catch a nice bull like that.

20. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Nice work on the bull. Sometimes they are all that is needed to keep the spirits up and in the game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.