A rookies log.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Danielocean, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Would you say that poly leaders would work better for new spey anglers?

2. I'm far from an expert but that's what I moved to when I was struggling with my casting. You may need to move to a lighter fly as well if you're using something really heavy.

I went to a poly leader and unweighted flies, got a little confidence in what I was doing and then I was able to go back to the t-11 and big uglies, although I still use the poly leader/light fly if the conditions call for that.

3. I noticed what you are talking about. Casting the intermediate tip was easy. When I threw o. The 5 feet of t11 shit fell apart for me. Did not help I had a stiff cross wind and getting pissed on.

4. How long was the intermediate tip? What kind of probs were you having with t11? If you were pulling your anchor you might need a longer length of t11, 5 ft sounds a bit short.

5. I was running 5 floating and 5 t11. 10 ft total. So was the intermediate. I just noticed that the heavier 5 and 5 was not turning over as well.

6. There's a wealth of casting info on YouTube. I got my switch in June and got things working well enough to fish all day just from a hand full of videos.

7. Would increasing weight of my head from 525 help with powering out the heavier tips?

8. Need to make a reply to put the thread to number 667. I am superstitious and do not like the previous one.

plaegreid likes this.
  9. Speaking in generalizations, if the line is well suited to the rod I'd say 525 grains would be sufficient for launching tips and big uglies.

10. Can't remember the exact rod you picked up, but I think it's the same as mine. I'm using a 560 skagit head and am usually ok. I went back and forth between a seven foot section of full sink and a 10' floating mow tip without issue. I spent a couple weeks practicing at the beach with a hookless midweight fly before putting anything with a hook on it. Got myself pretty good a few times though.

Didn't catch anything worthwhile on Saturday either. I was amazed at the amount of live and dead Pinks. Started on the Skagit and ended on the Sauk. A bit of a warning though... I was fishing the bend under the bridge at the Concrete Sauk Road turnoff from the 530. There's a section of rock with a bunch of sand in the middle...that is NOT safe to walk on. I was done and took two steps on to the "sand" and was immediately up to my waist in "quicksand" and was stuck solid. After a quick oh shit moment, I laid back and was able to shimmie my way back to the rocks. So, here's a rookie lesson...don't trust a bunch of sand in the middle of a river.

11. how was clarity on the sauk?

12. Downstream of Suiattle...one foot vis. Upstream...crystal clear; maybe six or seven feet + vis.

13. i drove mt loop home on friday and it was gin clear at whitechuck, just wondering the vis where you were fishing, there is some super sexiness over there

14. Daniel,

I posted the following on the first page of this thread when you began it. Read it again.

"Good looking fly box. You can buy more flies, lots more. It won't improve your likelihood of catching a steelhead one iota. You can take that comment to the bank. Most any fly will do provided you present in properly in the right place. You can read a lot in books and online here about proper presentations that can help you. The right place is where a steelhead is, when a steelhead is there. If you already know what steelhead holding water looks like and how to find it, you're set. If you don't, then that's what you need to focus on, not on what rod, what fly, and all the other all but irrelevant shit that most newbs obsess about. Notice I didn't include "line" in that short list. Using a line that is suited to the proper presentation I mentioned can make the difference between hooking up and not. Until you have a damn good reason to use something else, I recommend a WF line with a 15' sink tip in type VI sinking rate. A multi-tip line might be a good investment, and then you could have a floating, type III, and type VI tip to cover the vast majority of fishing conditions.

Put this in your fishing log, and good luck."

Spey casting is fun, cool, and increases efficiency and effectiveness somewhat. But it adds another thing to learn, when what it seemed like you wanted was to catch your first damn steelhead. I think you've gotten off track fuckin' around so much with gear and not nearly enough on "how to catch a steelhead." BTW, I've been steelheading for over 40 years and have never caught a single one using a tip made of T-anything. Oh, I have tried the T-stuff, but mostly I just caught rocks. I don't fish for rocks. I use a type 6 tip mostly, sometimes a type 3, and this time of year I use a floating line a lot. I caught 5 steelhead last week. I used a floating line. True, it was a Spey line, but I could have caught every one of them with a single hand rod and floating line too. It's September man, WTF are you fishing T-shit? This is floating line and maybe light sink tip season, in case you hadn't noticed. I caught those fish on a size 6 Spade, mainly because I used that most. I didn't raise any fish to a waked fly.

Here's some more unsolicited advice. Fish for steelhead where they are, not where they aren't. Try to fish when water conditions are favorable both for fishing and the fish are likely to be responsive (i.e., not low clear warm water like in mid-summer). Sept. and Oct. is the best time to fish for summer steelhead. They are "trouty." They will rise and take skated, waking, or near-surface flies.

More advice, focus on developing a fishing strategy that employs the tips I've posted, and focus less on tackle and crap you don't need and don't know how to use, so you're spending time trying to learn to use stuff you don't even need that isn't getting you into steelhead.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread programming and bromancing.

Sg

15. [quote="Salmo_g, post: 872343, member: 2388"
    More advice, focus on developing a fishing strategy that employs the tips I've posted, and focus less on tackle and crap you don't need and don't know how to use, so you're spending time trying to learn to use stuff you don't even need that isn't getting you into steelhead.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread programming and bromancing.

Sg[/quote]

I appreciate your help man. Honestly, that is the same conclusion I have come to myself now. It is indeed very easy to blame the "gear", and not ones self when doing this. I made some big leaps this weekend where Bassturds saw me casting and mending. He walked up to me and said, " dude, what the fuck are you doing?" Needless to say I got a very informative lesson all day about casting and mending. I now have a shit ton more confidence now in my fishing techniques as I learned that almost 100% chance that the reason I have not gotten my steelhead yet is indeed because of only one thing, and that is ME, and not my gear. I have absolutely no problem with you guys getting on me when you feel I am off track. I will only open my ears. Also, I am thinking of planning a thank you get together at my new house with open invites to everyone on the forum. Thinking some beers and bbq. I need to catch my steelhead first though.

16. Something else you should consider is instead of bouncing around to different rivers and different sections, I think sticking to one run on one river and concentrating all your time there is a good plan. Just find some water you like and has good holding lies and fish it till you land one. Then branch out with your technique, river, section of the river, fly, etc. Once you learn that spot top,bottom and sideways at a myriad of flows, you'll be in it to win it.

plaegreid, BASS_TURDS and mgarritson like this.
  17. I am just beginning my quest for steel so my opinion is really unsupported, but I agree with troutdope. There was a year where I decided I wanted to be a truly great trout nympher, and living by the Cedar I had prime water at my disposal. I decided to spend every outing hitting the same stretch of water and get it really dialed. In that stretch over what ended up being two years, I learned to watch the structure and flow change throughout the season, and where the fish went during different months and weather changes. I noted where and how I caught fish of all sizes, and also other people I saw..including poachers flinging bait....they all provided information. I fished other water too, but this stretch was the classroom. I have never had a bad day on that river since, and it translated to most all water I fish. My confidence on any water is high when I have my nymph box....give me dry fly and I am a bumbling newbie again....but intentional focus and study plain works.
    Steelhead are a different monster all together, but I think the same principle applies. If you pick a fishy run or two and devote yourself to them, you will see some caught and learn, get some pulls and hookups and learn more, and eventually get one in. You will come to know that water and those steelhead well.
    There is nothing quite like stepping into a spot on a stream you have never been on, but seeing different components of water that you do know like the back of your hand from your familiar water, and you know how to best fish it.
    Anyhow, that's my uninformed opinion because I am about to post my own "new to steelhead" intro thread, but that seems like very sound advice to me, and that is my own plan.
    I continue to follow your thread and cheer you on as well even though we haven't met......so..hi I'm Tinman and I am eagerly awaiting your "Hallelujah Chorus" post when you get the first.
    Best of luck brother.

18. Hey lets get together and go trout fishing some time. I could use alot of help on my nymphing game.

19. Sounds very good....I'll take you trouting if you take me swinging for steel.

20. Deal, I am out every weekend searching for my first steelhead so pm me and we can talk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.