A Sea Run's eating habits

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by kelvin, Jan 23, 2013.

1. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

I have caught Sea Runs on alot of different flies and I have my favorites.
    Has anyone every tried a small crab pattern and had luck with it ?
    Do Sea Runs eat crabs?

When I was a kid we use to catch them in Lake Washington and they were always full of Crawfish
    (yes we use to eat them)

Made me wonder looking at some nicely tied bonefish flies.

Perhaps an dumb question but one I had to ask?

_MG_0368.JPG

2. Puget Sound Pimp

Puget Sound Pimp Banned or Parked

Won't doubt it. If a crab passed a SRC's face I'm sure it would have a go at it.

3. i would imagine yes. i remember as a kid turning over rocks on the beach in puget sound and little crabs would run everywhere

4. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Send ME a few patterns Kevin and I'll try them out!! :D For some reason, deep in this old man's memory, my young friends may have used them for bait, but I'm too old to confirm that for certain. Maybe I'm dreaming.

6. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

be happy to
    size 24?

7. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Z_kap_crab.jpg

bet some of these earliy stages get eaten for sure

8. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

I've always heard that the immature stages of crabs were what was on the menu, but I never really pursued it.
    Maybe it's worth trying a few size 24's... I have a feeling some of the smaller stages are pretty close to that size?
    Way to think outside the box Kelvin, might be worth it.

9. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Thanks

Might be outside the box but still not sure the fly would would any better than a Squimp, Popcycle Stick, or a Faltwing

I would think given crab spawn there must be some time of the year the imature stags are more abundant in the water

Going to tie up a few anyway I am sure they will work for Rezzies

crab_megalops.gif

dryflylarry and Mark Mercer like this.
  10. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I doubt searuns would target adult crabs like a bonefish pattern immitates but will target the immatures. Adult crabs are usually tight to the bottom and not easily available but the earlier stages are midwater swimmers AFAIK. When cleaning salmon I have never noticed an adult crab in there but have seen fish and shrimp so I would expect similar for searuns. Rockfish and greenling on the other hand often have more crabs than anything else.

Even in FL with all kinds of crabs including some species that happily swim around on the surface, (happy till they meet a permit anyway!) adult crab patterns are rarely used unless sight fishing in shallow water.

11. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

I guess that's the questions we need to ask, if they are more abundant at any specific time of the year, do they swim around or walk in the muck on the bottom and what sizes are most common. I'm sure someone on here knows these things.

Kelvin, I like your Crab Megalops picture, I'm sure your fly will look just like that and with the very same movement.:)

12. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Once while diving I shot a BIG cabezon that had an entire, intact 7" dungeness crab in it.

As far as cutthroat go, if it moves and fits in their mouth, it's food.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  13. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Excerpt from Fly Fishing Inshore Saltwaters for Pacific Salmon by Richard Stoll

"Of particular importance to pre-migration juvenile Coho salmon are the free-swimming megalops larvae of the Dungeness crab. Megalops larvae occur in very large numbers in northern salt waters from the spring to fall. They range in the water column from the surface to 75 feet deep, mostly depending on the time of day. Fisheries biologists have postulated that in some years juvenile Coho can feed so heavily on these larvae as to affect adult crab populations in future years."

Thought this was pretty relevant considering the thread. If the Coho are feeding that heavily on megalops larvae, there is no way the Cutthroat aren't. I think you're right Kelvin, probably a good pattern to have in the box. Stoll developed his Green Weenie as an imitation of the megalops larvae, and he swears by it. I've got a dozen of them tied up in UV chartruese, white, and pink for Coho last year, I'll have to start fishing them for summer cutts. Could be interesting.

14. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

How big are these megalops? Would a small scud pattern imitate it?

Bob Triggs likes this.
  15. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

I'm currently reading Chester Allen's book "Fly Fishing for Sea-Run Cutthroat" and he does talk about cutts feeding on immature crabs.

FWIW, I quote:

"I often see cutts noodling around in shallow water - right near the shoreline- during the rising tide. These trout look like bonefish as they scout and scoot for tiny shrimp and crabs that pop up from under the gravel when the rising tide covers the beach.

....These trout are very spooky, so you have to stay on your knees and cast a small, buggy fly, such as a scud fly, a size 10 or 12 Crazy Charlie, or a McLaughlin Euphausiid, and let it settle to bottom. Then you wait. When the trout finally swims within 2 feet or so of where you think the fly is, strip in the fly with short, sharp, 6-inch-long pulls on the line.

...Cutts move to little shrimp and crabs all year long."

Obviously, YMMV! :)

Bob Triggs likes this.
  16. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Nice tie Kelvin. I'd give that a try for sure.
    I agree with Don in regards if it moves it could possibly be food. I don't think I'd underestimate what they might eat due to their aggressive nature.

17. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

View attachment 23285
    P4250338.JPG

pretty close

Ybsong, dryflylarry, Bert and 3 others like this.
  18. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Looks great!! I knew you'd come up with something good.

19. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

That is what I was thinking that is why I asked
    I guess I will give them a try and as I am fond of saying when in doubt tie on a flatwing P4250357.JPG

Richard Torres and Pat Lat like this.
  20. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

If you really believe that the only requirements for the best fly are that it moves and fits in their mouth why would you fish anything but the simplest of patterns? #10 hook with a thread body retrieved very slowly should work as well as anything else. Your fly will spend more time in the feeding zone and you won't get tired from making lots of casts..

IMHO they might eat anything but they are more likely to eat certain things in certain situations and I will catch more fish SOME of the time if I have the optimal fly pattern for that situation. I suspect an adult crab pattern is very rarely the optimum fly for cutthroat (maybe never?). I would also guess that an adult crab pattern fished where adult crabs live (on the bottom) would be very attractive to sculpins and you might spend all your time unhooking them! :)