A season of firsts for The Boy

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Itchy Dog, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    My 13 year old son has had himself a season of firsts. Starting with Hunter Ed certification last spring, we soon headed into the turkey woods where he bagged his first gobbler. Spent the summer getting comfortable with his Tikka .243, shooting several boxes of handloads at the range. Off the bench he was shooting 2 inch groups at 200 yards. He needs some time on the clay range, but he'll get there as we have plenty of bird season ahead of us. On the pheasant youth hunt, he shot his first rooster with a borrowed 20 gauge. Last weekend we headed to Winthrop for a deer hunt with a group of friends. All the kids had doe tags, which was a good thing because the shootable bucks were very sparse. Saturday morning after thinking we were better off heading back to camp for breakfast, we were suddenly presented with an opportunity to harvest his meat. We didn't have much time as the deer snuck up on us (instead of vice versa). They were out at about 85 yards, preparing to jump a fence, so I stuck my shooting sticks on the ground, told him to relax, and squeeze. He's calm under pressure, unlike his old man. The result was a young doe that will eat real good and whet his appetite for many years to come. The lessons in responsibility preparing for this hunting season have been priceless. This has been a big year for the lad and his dad. Oh, and he also caught a few nice trout and countless smallies and bluegills this summer.
    (this photo is posted in my gallery)

2. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

way to go itchy and itchy jr.
    i've enjoyed the photo's you've posted of the kid this year. it's good stuff and makes me more excited for my baby's future in the outdoors. she's 5 weeks old now and just returned from e-wa and her first hunting season at her grandma's house.
    my good friend and hunting partner's boy will be hunting next year for the first time and he couldn't stop talking about it this past weekend. he was tagging along with us.
    thanks and great pic's.

3. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks, Josh- the next step in his education is to teach him that one does not harvest everytime one goes into the field. He set the bar pretty high this year. Congrats on your fatherhood- before you know it you'll be buying camo and hunter orange, boots, a 20 gauge and a .243, etc for your daughter!

4. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Media:
    Way to go dad and son.

5. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    The memories of time together in the field will last forever, and the bonds created will never be broken.
    The stories of those times will be shared and spoken of in future years, and generations, as times of joy and love of family and friends.

LB