A Shrimp Pattern

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Greg, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Thread: Ultra-Fine Mono
    Hook: See Hook Note Below
    Eyes: Burnt 25# Mono painted gloss black and coated with clear epoxy.
    Body: Scintilla Dubbing (Color: #51 Salmonella)
    Ribbing: 6# Clear Monofilament
    Pleopods (Swimmerettes): Plucked Scintilla Dubbing
    Back: See Super Hair Note Below
    Uropod (tail): See Super Hair Note Below
    Carapace (Shell): Devcon 5-minute Epoxy

Head:
    Antennae: 4 strands Pink Krystal Flash
    Antennules: A few long Fox Hair fibres (natural)
    Maxillapeds (mouthpart):See Super Hair Note Below
    Chelipeds (mouthpart): Small pinch of Fox Hair (natural)
    Periopeds (foreward walking legs): 4 strands Yak Hair (White

NOTES:

- Hook. Hooks with a rounded curve to them make excellent shrimp hooks. The problem is there that there are very few saltwater hooks of this type available; wide gap, arching type hooks are common for freshwater scud and shrimp patterns, however. One excellent hook made specifically for saltwater shrimp patterns is the Partridge CS-54 although finding them can be difficult sometimes. Without having to search for a special Shrimp hook, another solution is to tie a "bend down" type pattern. I tied the fly pictured above on a #8 Mustad 34007 with the forward portion of the shank bent down about 10 degrees. It creates a reasonably rounded topside curve without compromising hooking ability. Gamakatsu SC15 hooks might be another hook to consider for this type of pattern.

- Super Hair: A small bunch of Super Hair is laid across the top of the fly and anchored with tying thread behind the eye. Then the 6# Monofilament fishing line is wound forward from the hook bend to the eye forming the segmented abdomen. That small bunch of Super Hair forms the Maxillapeds (mouthparts) at the bend, Carapace base (back)along the body and Uropods (tail) at the eye of the hook. Color used on this fly was Peach; other good choices for the Sound include Shrimp and Spier.

Attached Files:

2. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    How do you do it? Wish I could make flies like that. Probalby could if I had the right materials but...
  3. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Nice pattern. However, you don't really have to worry about the curved shank hook. Shrimp and krill are straight when they swim forward and only appear curved out of the water, or when they are kicking very rapidly backward for safety from predators.
    Where have you used your pattern and how was your success? Ever caught salmon with it? Where and when? Would you like to submit it for the update of Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon, the book I co-authored with Bruce Ferguson and Pat Trotter? If so send me an e-mail and I'll return a form.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  4. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    Nice looking fly Greg. When I epoxy my salt bugs along the top like that, they flip over from the weight of the epoxy. How do you keep them from flipping over?

Matt Burke
  5. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Les,

Thanks for your comments. I'm flattered you're interested in this pattern for your book.

My intent with this particular pattern was to imitate a small Pandalid shrimp as opposed to a Euphausiid krill. Size of this fly is 1-inch from the tip of the Uropod to the tip of the mouthparts; antennae add another 3/4 inch.

I fish primarily in Marine Area 13 which, as you well know, contains many quiet little bays and inlets; its in the intertidal zones of these areas where this pattern has been most productive for me. I have caught resident Silvers as well as a few SRC on it, mostly when there doesn't appear to be any telltale fish activity.

I will email you for the form.

Greg
  6. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Matt,

I have no idea...I haven't experienced the fly flipping over as you describe. Maybe the buoyancy of the materials and general conformation combine to keep it "righted?" How much epoxy are you applying?

Greg
  7. Sharp Steelie Guest

I would be willing to bet your pattern would work
    on summer run steelies in just about any river and
    maybe even winters - very realistic with the right
    colors - nice job!:thumb
  8. troutaholic Member

University Place, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Wow! What a beautiful fly! Sorry but what exactly is super hair? Who makes it? Nice detail in the tying instructions especially about the hook type. Thanks for posting, I can't wait to try it out...:beer1
  9. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Troutaholic,

Thanks for the kind words.

Super Hair is one of about a half dozen different brands (e.g. Ultra Hair, Unique Hair, Kinky Fiber etc.) of course, crinkled synthetic (nylon) fibers packaged in about 12-inch lengths. It is virtually identical to Ultra Hair. Super Hair and Ultra Hair are a bit "courser" than some of the other similar synthetic materials. Not sure who manufactures Super Hair, but its available in many local fly shops as well as from online sources such as Hook & Hackle who put their own lable on it.

Greg
  10. Surf_Candy Member

Bainbridge Island, WA.
    Hey Greg,
    I see you've been busy! Very nice shrimp pattern...I could put that one on the BBQ!

Surf
  11. ZugBug Member

Castle Rock, Colorado
    Wow that's a great looking fly Greg!
  12. Ken Hunter Member

Shoreline, Wa, USA.
    Greg,

This is a great looking fly. Have you ever caught a steelhead in the salt on this fly?

Ken
  13. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Ken,

Thanks for the kind words. No, I haven't neither intentionally nor incidentally.

Greg