A Sign of Good Fishing

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by miyawaki, Oct 31, 2012.

1. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

A sign of good fishing here - if you ask any landowner you see; if you tell them you're "zero impact"; if you fish alone or, most certainly, without someone who needs to whoop and holler with every fish hooked; and with a plastic bag to pick up trash on the beach.

Leland.
    photo.JPG

daveypetey and Pat Lat like this.
  2. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I'm curious what you do when you come across a sign like this. Do you walk up to the house and knock and ask for permission to fish there, or do you just go on and fish until someone questions you, etc? I could see people being put off by me walking through their back yard to the house. I suppose it's easier if the owner is in the backyard when you get there.

3. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I've been fishing at this beach for years and have never been stopped. But then I fish it in the late fall/winter when the searuns are there. I don't fish there on weekends, summer days or holidays. I don't bring groups, dogs, boomboxes, fireworks or light campfires. I never talk or shout. I doubt they ever know I'm fishing and if they look out their windows, I'm close to invisible.

If I were to see someone, I would smile and wave and if they wanted to talk, I would talk.

Leland.

Steve Call and Jim Wallace like this.
  4. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    I haven't been fishing as long as leland, but I also find that a lot of beach front property in my area is the same way, there are lots of little city parks all around that are adjacent to private tidelands, I have been confronted before, but I just played dumb and said I thought because I was wading that it didn't matter, the gentleman politley "corrected" me, then gave me the ok to fish on his property. He said he enjoys watching people fish and was happy to let people, but if he didn't have the signs up his property would be open to all kinds of disrespectful folks.

5. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

My place lies between two public beaches. People often walk the half mile between and back and residents walk their dogs on the beach. Thankfully they carry bags for the waste but there are always inconsiderate folks who insist on littering the beaches. That's primarily why the signs go up. It isn't that owners want to close their property but rather they want to keep out the people that don't have respect for the tidelands. We haven't posted signs yet but several neighbors have. There are some who think it's okay to walk anywhere their feet take them but the easiest analagy I can come up with is an owner who finds a bunch of pheasant hunters in his cornfield shooting anything that moves.

6. i have learned fish now answer to someone later

7. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I went outside on my deck late one morning with a cup of coffee in my hand to find a family having a picnic on my dock. I went down and asked them what they were doing and they said having a picnic...I explained it was private property and blah blah blah very politely, and they packed up and got back in their boat and started away.

Oh his way off my dock the guy called me a jerk.

People are crazy these days.

8. thats just stupid on there part

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Leland. I got chased off a beach about 3 weeks ago for the 2nd time in all of my years of fishing. It was a new beach for me where I had landed a nice coho and some great cutthroats before heading to Idaho for some trout fishing. So, when I got back from the vacation I headed over there. I tried to be kind to the guy, but he wouldn't budge. Kind of a prick really. I was thinking of trying it again, and when he says I'm on private tidelands, maybe I'll just say "show me your deed that proves it so! Otherwise, I'll just fish for awhile."

Pat Lat likes this.
  10. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

People are just that way these days, the "If nobody has told me not to it must be ok" mentality has run rampant.

one of my neighbors found some guy standing in the corner of his yard peeing one morning with his boat pulled up right there, people just dont care anymore.

11. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Please dont do that! Its far better to be respectful. Sharing access isnt required when its private, and some people like their privacy! It makes us all look bad when people push the boundaries. That, and he might call the sherriff on you

TD and FlyinFish like this.
  12. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    imo, it is one thing to fish private beaches as an individual but it is different to make a post promoting it. we really shouldn't be promoting trespassing and disrespect of private property.

i would suggest asking for permission before fishing private beaches. it is a matter of respect, regardless of how one feels about private ownership of beaches below high tide.

of course, if someone is posting public beaches... screw em' and walk past those signs.

SeaRun Fanatic likes this.
  13. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

A-holes always call ya a "jerk" when you remind them that they're being A-holes, no matter how diplomatic you may be. Don't ask me how I know this!

14. Jim Wallace

Leland, you are fortunate to have found that place, and smart to be respectful and discreet in your fishing there. I take your post as an example of how to do it right.

Chris Bellows also makes a good point.

15. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

I am all in favor of taking the 'soft' approach.....
    Leave a zero footprint, respect all private property, be conscious of other peoples feelings....but a buddy of mine who is a professional kayaking guide says that anything below the mean high tide line is not private land, except in relatively few cases. Moderation in all things, on BOTH sides, is what I say.

16. Jim Wallace

Yo, Bradley. What you say may be true out on the ocean beaches, but not so in much of Puget Sound and Hood Canal, where there are lots of leased and private tidelands below the mean high tide line.

Back in the early 80's, I rented a waterfront cabin on Bainbridge Island with my GF, where my landlord owned the tidelands; and later, after she ditched me, another smaller one on on the island that was across the street from the beach, but where my new landlord also owned the tidelands.
    In the later case, I was only two doors down from a public fishing pier and beach, and my landlord, being a fair and decent person, advised me to let the public use the beach for clamming, etc, as long as they respected the fact that it was private property and didn't trash the place. She did not want to post it as private. Most folks who ventured over there were respectful. Only once in 3 years there did I have to muster my panache, and go down on the beach, and ask some clowns to pick up their litter and fill in their holes. They called me a jerk. In return, I called them assholes, told them to leave and never to return, and said that I was about to call the Sheriff. They split the scene. I had to pick up their beer cans.
    Some people just don't get it. You never trash the environment. You never litter. You leave the place looking better than when you got there, if possible. What's so difficult about that?

17. Bradley Miller

Ok: but here is the point of all of this. How do you KNOW your landlord had the property rights to the tidelands below the 'mean high tide' line? IF a property owner did own those rights and IF that property owner was fussy about enforcing those rights, wouldn't you think that property owner would make it a pretty simple operation to demonstrate that? Every property is, apparently, different. Additionally, what about the folks who post 'no trespassing' signs on land they do NOT own the rights to? Sheesh. What if you are a conservation minded, considerate, lone fly fisherman who is not disturbing anybody on land that is legally 'public' and some jerk who thinks (or wants to think) he owns the 'beach' demands that the fisherman vacate? I am thinking here that Washington State law is not very user friendly. And I am also thinking that those 'felony trespass' signs that I see on Hood Canal are bluff and fluff. I guess the real question is: whats the sheriff going to do ? :)

18. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

not sure if serious...

19. Jim Wallace

That's one of the reasons why I have four boats.
    But, if you are shore-bound, then be like how Leland outlines. If you are discreet and respectful in your behavior, you might just skate. If you happen to get kicked out, you get kicked out, but again, if you are respectful and discrete, at least maybe you won't have the Sheriff on your okole.

20. Bradley Miller

Yeah, I get that.
    Thats the practical approach.
    But what if you're getting kicked out and you shouldn't be?
    That's the problem; and it's not right.

daveypetey likes this.