A steelhead is a salmon??

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Snake, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,715 / 0
    Good work Snake. A lot of people have probably learned something from your experience and report here.

I don't order salmon in restaurants that often, since I cook it to perfection myself, I won't pretend it's as good as what I make myself. When I do order fish, it's only after consulting with the wait staff. I agree that it seems weird, since I never ask about the pedigree of the beef if I order steak or prime rib. But I'm a fish snob, and I don't apologize for it. I took quite a while to explain at length to a waiter and his manager when they said they were serving Atlantic King salmon; the whole Atlantic salmon, king of fishes, to Chinook salmon, King of Pacific salmon, etc., through the whole list of species. In the end they agreed they had no idea what they were serving as salmon. I ordered Alaska halibut, and they at least knew it was fresh, not frozen.

It's worth having these exchanges with restaurant staff. We all come off more knowledgeable than before.

Sg
  2. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Any chef worth his weight can look at a fillet and tell immediatly if it is net pen or wild. By wild, I mean "freerange hatchery" or "native". Also a good chef will be able to distinguish the difference between a salmon or steelhead based on the fat content and texture of the fillet. If they do not understand the difference in fat content between these fish, your meal is probably going to taste like shit anyway.