A suggestion

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by wyofly, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

This seems like a reasonable request but the logistics are much harder to handle. I agree with keeping things simple. The tier can include that sentence if he chooses. I like the way Hans sometimes includes information but I also check the forum daily for something new and note flies I am interested in. For years I've had a file on my computer titled "fishing flies". I think I must have 400 pics of flies I really like. I'll probably never tie all of them but they might make a nice collage some day. The forum is already divided into sections. I wouldn't make more work for Chris so Ill be checking everyday like normal and continue to put things in my flies file.

2. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Simplicity was the motivation for the suggestion. Fly tying catalogues list their flies in categories, such as dry flies, nymphs, streamers and saltwater. The saltwater flies are broken down into types for species such as Bonefish and Permit. The whole idea is that if you are looking for a salmon fly to tie you don’t have search through 19 pages to make sure that you have not missed a pattern that could be useful.

dfl likes this.
  3. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    It may be possible to tag the threads with keywords as to their relevance, so that could help. Chris? Moderators? I think it gives you that option when you create a thread...

The easiest thing to do is search and as far as new posts, whether their are sub-forums or not, you can use the "What's New" link on the menu bar above.

I personally think that one of the fun things of the SBS section is looking through all of the patterns. As others have said though, many flies cross over from one species to another.

Bill

4. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    If you don't find what you are looking for in the SBS section or elsewhere on the web, be sure to post it in the request sticky.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/request-a-step-by-step-sbs-here.79699/

5. dfl

dfl Active Member

Reading this thread reinforces my decision to NEVER serve on a committee.