A Sunny Day on Hood Canal

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Nov 1, 2011.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

My friend and I made it out on the Hood Canal for a late morning to afternoon sea run fishing. We got there just after high tide and fished until a couple of hours before the low. The best fishing was a couple hours before the low. We used a variety of flies. My friend was using an intermediate and I was using a dry line. Since the tide was on the high side, the intermediate did the job better than the dry line today. (Not counting he’s a better fisherman than I, but, we both have our days!) We caught a variety of sizes up to a couple of 18 inchers, and number of 16’s, 14’s, and on down. My friend was using a small pink marabou clouser and some flatwings later on. My Popsicle Stick didn’t pay off today, so I finally switched to a number of different flies and picked up a number of smaller fish. My friend landed a nice 18” cutt. I landed a nice 16” a little while later. I don’t normally catch the ebb at the top of the tide, but have always had better luck at the last 2-3 hours before low. About this time my friend and I separated on the beach one on one side of the point and the other way on the other side. The magic hour arrived. I started poking fish and a few fish were showing on the surface. I landed several fish and missed a couple of heavy slashes. I put on an old beat up marabou squid pattern and not long afterward hooked up with a hard heavy strike. She leaped out of the water and I got a good look at her. Big. I would guess a good 20” range and fat. The fight lasted maybe a minute with another monster leap of 3 feet or better twisting and rolling at the same time. After the leap and a second later she threw the fly in my face. A deserved escape from DFL. Darn. In the meantime, I was wondering what my friend was doing on the other side of the beach. I walked over and he said, “I hope your fishing turned on as mine did while you were gone.” “Yup”, I said. He landed something like 7 fish and one at 18” and lost another pig. It was a good day, and I have a slight sunburn. I got to see a Kingfisher and watched and listened to the Loon nearby. What more can you ask for?

2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Great looking fish, glad you got into them Larry.

3. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

That is one hell of a SRC (middle fish)

Thanks for the report. My first fish ever was on a SRC i had tied from the various things my grandfather gave me. It was on one of my first tied flies too. I think ill always have a soft spot for SRC

4. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Beautiful!

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Great report, good going!

6. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Great report and pictures, I need to head to the Hood Canal this week. I keep thinking I'll try chasing chum, but forget it for now, SRC fishing it is.

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Nice work Larry :thumb:

8. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

still trolling i see wolfmanfly

9. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

good going Larry-boy! I'll say it again, BIG SRCs over Chum anyday!!!! Hope thats "THE" same spot, lets take my boat out there and the surrounding areas in a week or so eh?

10. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Sound and looks like a "magical" sea-run cutthroat fishing day on Hood Canal!

Roger

11. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Damn man, that is one big cutty. I'm drooling!

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Excellent, beautiful fish. For those intrested in getting into the sea run cutthroat game, lots to see and learn in those photos and this report.

13. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Wow, it doesn't get better than that! Sounds like an amazing day, thanks for the report!

14. Those days are the reasons we endure rain drenched skunkings. SOLID!

15. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Wow looks like some amazing fishing! Need to get by butt out there!

16. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

It was a fantastic day, but don't listen to DFL he usually kicks my butt when we fish for cutts. New guys, listen to what Larry says, he knows a lot about SRC's and how to be
    successful fishing for them.

17. Wow! I'm jealous.........big time!

18. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

What a great inspirational report Larry. I'm on the wetside often, I really need to get into this fishery.

19. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Well played sir! Those cutthroat are way nicer than those skinny ones Roger Stephens has been catching. :clown:

20. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

OUCH!