A Thousand casts

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jon Brengan, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

So the same ole story - different day. Picnic Point, two hrs before the low, No skunk - 1 flounder - saves the day, well sort of; Yep a day of many casts and a sore shoulder to boot. Seems as though the fish would be in close for a millisecond, jump and split. Tons of boats 200-300 yrds off the beach seemed like they hooked up, there was even a guy in a toon that seemed as though he might've done okay too. I didn't see anyone on the bank hook anything. Fished 3-4 hrs. then the hall pass expired......you know the drill
    JB

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I know the drill! Believe me, I know the drill.

3. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    People say muskies are fish of 10,000 casts or something like that. Try coho's from the beach in Puget Sound. Now that takes dedication. I still haven't hooked a coho but I will............................................maybe.........................I hope.....................

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm just getting ready for winter steelhead fishing. I put in well over 1000 casts last weekend over three days and over another 1000 this three day weekend. I've got this funky but effective two handed overhead line launch that I've been working on...it has yet to catch a fish but it puts a lot of line (for me) out there.

5. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

So Mumbles your using the Spey rod in the Salt, I'm still fairly new to this whole beach action, are there alot of ya that do that? I've thought that it looks less taxing on the body when I see the guys in the rivers, I know my arm feels like its going to fall off after casting my 10' 8 Wt. in the wind, like last week. Just want to say though, keep up the fishing because it does pay off. I had a 2 day stint a week or so ago, that was some of the best fishing I've had in a long time. Hopefully we'll all find fish over the next few weeks. I'm actually taking a guy up to the confluence of the Sky/Snohomish tomorrow to see if there's anything up there. We'll possibly be traveling North to fish the Skagit also. We'll see this guys into learning to FF too, so we'll see where we end up. I know from experience that if you can get a newby into fish on the flyrod, they're fairly much hooked at that point. Something about actually feeling the headshakes - its really something. Anyways Tight lines to ya all.
    JB

6. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Karl, I am hoping for the same...or at least trying to keep hope alive for my first adult coho. I hooked a nice pink last night that fought well, it almost had me fooled for a minute!

I was at Picnic yesterday, and also saw a guy out there in a toon. Too bad he didn't stay out where he was, as about 30 minutes after he left a huge school was right where he was fishing. Then a few sea lions came rushing in and crushed them. Saw one sea lion come flying up out of the water with a fish in it's mouth. Picnic is a strange spot. The tides to funny things there and it seems you never really know whats going to happen. I went 2 for 2 on pinks last night, but was the only one I saw land anything in the time I was there. I'm hoping it will get 'good' one of these days. But that hope is fading.

7. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    iagree

8. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Matthew,
    It's kind of funny, every single cast I make could be the coho hookup. I feel it many times, it's always in my mind. I love it. It's like Santa is coming sometime in the future and he's bringing some really great stuff. I just don't know when. He already brought me my first really nice SRC.

I'm committed to time on the water and a fly in the water. Besides, some people actually pay money to go see seals getting fed at the Seattle Aquarium. We get to see it for free. Sometimes we even get to be the ones who feed the darn things.

It's just putting in the time and effort. I'll happen for all of us. My coho will be the dumb one that couldn't find a decent meal and decided suicide was a better option than starving to death or being eaten by a seal.

9. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Ya, Karl, I hear you! Sometimes I'll be standing in a spot and watch a nice rip form right in front of me and start to get excited. It's funny though, whenever I get that feeling of anticipation, I seem to never catch much. Same thing steelheading, I only seem to catch fish when my mind wanders off to other things, or I'm just spacing out admiring my surroundings. It is always my goal to calm down, take in my surroundings and become at peace when I fish. Not only is it way more relaxing, but I always seem to catch more fish that way!
    Of course when the action is hot, it's hard to calm down that much, so I just get all wound up, but it doesn't matter then anyway.