A week camping in the rainforest: Give me food ideas

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Evan Burck, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    I need some ideas for breakfast/dinner for a week in the rainforest for two of us.

For cooking things, I have a small grill, a turkey fryer burner + pots/skillets, and if I can get my camp stove working, that too. I'm limited to one moderately large cooler.

I'm trying to be efficient, and use things that might be useable in a few meals. I didn't think it'd be this hard to plan... But it is. Any inspiration would be much appreciated!
  2. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    Well, I can offer some advice here for sure.

Breakfast
    Toasted Bagels with cheese and eggs
    pancakes (in the fry pan ofc)
    breakfast potatoes of choice (with bacon cooked in in at the same time)
    oatmeal with raisins nuts etc.

Lunches
    Trail Mix
    Bars
    Sandwhich (i dont usally do this but it works)
    fruit
    jerky
    any other high calorie snack food you enjoy. I love cornnutes and tameri almonds
    sausage crackers and cheese

Dinners
    pasta (maybe with some sausage)
    sausage and dressings (buns, cat soup, etc)
    fresh hatchery steelhead
    stir fry (bring ur favorite dressing)
    stew (canned or homemade)

The key is to figure out ur meals for each day and stick with it. prewiegh the ingredients for the recipes, and bag them up togather.

then, when your tired and hungry one night, you can grab out the pasta fixings and have an easy meal. Saving the more complicated meal for a night you feel more into cooking.

There is a great book on backcountry meal planning called the NOLS cookery.

http://books.google.com/books/about/NOLS_Cookery.html?id=upB9I0A76tAC

potato, sausage, cheese, bacon, and eggs, and pasta, veggies, fruit, and your good to go.
  3. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    BACON, Cheez it's, Summer Sausage, Flavored Triscuits, Red Bull, more Red Bull, Donuts, Granola bars, PB&J sandwich fixings. That should keep you going for days!
    Bradley Miller likes this.
  4. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +139 / 0
    PBR and Bacon bits
    Luke77 likes this.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    PBJ, bread, boil and eat rice dishes, foil packs of tuna, canned chicken to add to your rice. Smoked sausage, salmon and cheese. If you have a cooler, you can put enough fresh stuff there to keep the variety going. Are you fishing and camping or looking for five stars?
  6. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    All good suggestions! Five stars is how I roll at home, but I can slum it on the river :) Was thinking we could bonk some wild steelhead and just eat fresh.
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    Love your optimism. Fresh is always best. You won't be far from the backup plan of the local food buying place should conditions not favor fresh! It will be cold enough that your beer won't need to be in the cooler, more room for those other fresh foods.
  8. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +411 / 0
    pre-made potato salad always goes down a treat.

pre braise some cheap cuts, a bag of tortillas and some salsa and you've got soft tacos for a couple of meals.
  9. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +660 / 5
    Friggin amateurs. Sheesh. ;) And yes, I can cook well for 2 as I do 200. ;)
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  10. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    LoL. We all have our own style. My camp cooking is done on a whisperlite for the last 10 years, so ive been a little limited.
  11. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,069 / 0
    Susie usually makes me a big batch of cinnamon rolls for my breakfast meals. Her's make Cinnabon blush and two of them can constitute a full meal. I augment them with dry cereal which is pretty easy to transport. Coffee or tea rounds out the breakfast. I recently bought a camping size Chemex coffee pot so I get the same quality coffee I get at home.

Lunches are often more difficult because taste vary so much but I like to grill Kielbasa either before I leave or at the campsite and make big sandwiches out of it with lots of tomatoes, mayo and goose shit mustard. Kettle chips and an ale fill me up. I always have Payday bars on hand and cookies for snacks.

For dinner I like steak and potatoes, steak and rice, and steak and pasta. With your grill the steak is pretty easy, I cook the rice up at home and take a big bag with me then fry it up as needed. It travels well. Potatoes are a no-brainer as is the pasta. I try to keep my meals simple without too many ingredients or a big variety of food. A decent box of red wine will compliment the steaks and is also easy to transport. The trick is to not make things so complicated that cooking eats up a lot of your time-just take a few things that you really like and eat like a pig while you're there. I come from a backpacking background at high elevation where the calorie demands are high but the menu has to be kept simple and the weight carefully controlled. If you are camping out of a truck or SUV you can just go crazy.

Ive
  12. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +660 / 5
    LOL. I haven't always been with Camp Chef. Spent a good 20 years cooking on small 2 burner Colemans and 1 burner military multi fuel stoves. So definitely know what its like to do one pot meals. How I perfected my craft.
  13. flyfish4 Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    For breakfasts, I like to make it quick and not have any mess to clean up so I like to take along packages of instant oatmeal that can cook with just hot water. I add a fresh banana and/or chopped up bits of dried fruit like craisins to it. For lunch, I'll often do canned tuna or chicken and mix with mayo on bread, crackers or bagels. For dinners, I will cook something and freeze it in foil and simply lay it over a campfire to heat it back up. On a given day, I will just eat whichever dinner item thaws first.
  14. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    It's all about reusing leftovers for me. I've found that you can get a lot of mileage out of things like bacon, sauteed onions, spaghetti noodles (pre-cooked), grilled steak/hamburger/chicken (grill once and reheat/reuse for most meals of the day), baguette/sandwich rolls. Bacon/steak are always good for breakfast with some eggs, lunch in sandwiches and in just about anything (fajitas, stew, soup, etc..) for dinner. Other breakfasts include oatmeal and corned beef hash as well, but I prefer the quick oats as they are very simple, fast to cook and much heartier than the instant variety. I also like bananas, walnuts, dried cranberries and brown sugar in my oatmeal; which will last me through out the day usually. Another easy to make camping favorite for me is french dip; add cheese, sauteed onions and whatever else you want. These same ingredients can be used for cold sandwiches for lunch while you're out and about.
  15. fishingcheftim Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    "TASTY BITE"
    The brand name of a collection of ready to heat Indian foods. You can add many things to compliment them. They can be boiled in the bag for no clean up. I add them to egg dishes, rice dishes ect.
  16. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,622 / 0
    My camp breakfast is much like home: simple and routine. Either oatmeal or bacon & eggs, easily done with my 1-burner stove. Cartons of OJ and milk keep well in the cooler. I try to keep dinner simple by making batches of chilli and spaghetti or beef stew before the trip and freezing meal-size quantities in plastic bags or containers. They help keep everything in the cooler cold. Thaw one out and heat it for dinner. If I have room in the cooler I also bring basic green salad fixins. I usually take deli meat & cheese for making sandwiches for lunch, same as I do every day when not camping. Box wine is OK for camping trips and more convenient than glass. Depending on the trip, I might go low and buy macro brew in order to get beer in cans, like for a float trip. Otherwise I just deal with the bottled micro brew.

Have a great week!

Sg
  17. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +202 / 0
    One thing I have figured out for winter steelhead camp is that I rarely want to mess with much cooking or cleaning.

Breakfast: canned soup. Heat and serve. Warm, filling, very little clean-up.
    Dinner: Trader Joe's has heat and serve Indian dishes like palak paneer, etc. Go well with boil-in-bag rice. No clean up. They also have these Thai Tuna Curry things that are heat and serve in a bag, in a box. I like the green. Also good with boil-in-bag rice. Another super easy/lazy option is pasta roni topped off with some canned tuna.
  18. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +184 / 0
    coffee and oatmeal for breakfast - all you gotta do is boil water. cheese, sausage, trail mix, candy bars, etc. for lunch. pre-cooked and frozen homemade chilli, beef stew, and/or simple pasta dishes, etc. for dinner. Oh and don't forget the wine.
  19. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    How about a little stir-fry vegetables and chicken pieces thrown in. You can buy the pre-packaged stir fry vegetables for about $2. Cook up some chicken tenders before you go, throw them in the cooler. Slice up the chicken, throw in the vegies, stir-fry up 5 minutes it's ready.
  20. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    This idea has my whole-hearted approval; my wife have done this on several of our overnight trips. You can purchase pre-cooked Basmati rice also in pouches. Heat up a pouch of Rogan Josh, a pouch of rice, and a pouch of Palak Paneer (aka Saag Paneer = overboiled spinich - much better than it sounds) up in some boiling water and you have a very filling, very warming meal. And you can wash the dishes in the warm water when you are done. You can buy these at Trader Joe's and Top Foods.

Oatmeal is not a bad choice on a cold wet morning. Add in some raisins or dried apples for sweetness.

Steve