a week in is not enough..

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Oct 12, 2010.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

found my slice of heaven..such incredable rivers...and floats...and fish!!!

A week is sure not enough though....just started to learn a bit and time to leave...

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'll be back next year. That rain Wednesday night really sucked.

Go Sox,
    cds

3. Miller

Miller Member

Media:
    Bulkley?

4. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Good times.. nice pictures and B-eautiful C-lean air.

5. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    very nice...

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Usually if someone doesn't mention the river they fished, they intend to not post the river they fished.

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Kinda' makes ya' want to just be a steelhead junkie for the rest of your life, doesn't it? If they ever get around to passing the proposed law, we won't have any choice except to fish for a week, well, 8 days a year.

Sg

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    which law is this you speak of?

9. Mark Speer

Mark Speer It's all good.....

Media:
    Great photos...thanks for sharing. Looks like it was a kick ass trip.

10. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    Yup, I spent a month in that area and that still wasnt enough. I plan on living and teaching there someday.

11. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Evan, Salmo is speaking of a proposal being discussed in BC that certain classified waters would require a guide and that unguided anglers could only fish 8 (consecutive?) days without one.

I'm not sure the specifics, but it's being debated as we speak. Plenty of discussion on other Spey-specific boards if you're interested.

Cheers,

DS

12. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

not debated, Fact now...next year you can only fish on weekdays. weekends are for locals and bc residents. not sure if out of province guys will be affected by this as well?

Think they may even be saying some rivers are off limits...heard the telkwa was possibly, though I never fished it as it was too busy puking out mud...

I could live up there pretty easy as well...funny, it's busy, union to telkwa sucked to float...but who is going to pay for the lost $$$ that is gonna come from this?

Shit if wasn't for us mericano's who else would plug the kispiox?

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Golfman,

Are you sure AEC has adopted the new restrictions? Like Doublespey, last I heard it was still in discussion among BC gov't agencies.

Sg

14. Leopardbow

Leopardbow Member

I haven't had a chance to read it all yet.

I think this is the final version which would essentially go into effect for 2011.
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/skeena/qws/docs/ResponseToWGRecommendations.pdf

What’s next?
    The endorsed Working Group recommendations will form the basis of thirteen river-specific Angling Management Plans. These plans will apply to rivers addressed as part of the Skeena Quality Waters Strategy process. Over the next year, the ministry will be working to finalize Angling Management Plans. Final plans will be posted on this website. An email update will be sent out once this occurs. Regulatory changes outlined in the ministry response will be implemented on April 1, 2011 and communicated via the Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis.

It is important to note that Angling Management Plans will be adaptively managed. The ministry will be monitoring these plans to determine their effectiveness in the future. For more information http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/skeena/qws/monitoring.html

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/skeena/qws/

15. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

It's too bad they had to come to this, but it makes sense. Now that all the rivers and streams near urban areas have been beat to death, more and more people are seeking quality waters. When the human population goes up and the amount of quality waters is reduced, something has to give. Look at the fisheries in Europe.

Kind of reminds me of the movie Independence Day when the aliens move to a new planet until they consume all the natural resources and then move onto the next one (like spring/winter steelhead fishing in PS). The BC govt. identified that some of their flagship fisheries may be in danger of being overrun and intervened. This will kill a lot of my opportunities up there, but I would almost rather be limited to 1 good week of fishing than make a 10hr drive up there only to participate in the same circus show we have down here.

Nice photos and report BTW. Looks like it was a helluva trip.

16. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I agree, but it's not just the crowds, it's the guys guiding illegally etc. etc. or at least that's the b.s. that is being thrown around...Oddly there is a huge Euro contingent as well up there..once they figure it out they aren't buying the guiding trips either...so that's really going to interesting...The town/hotels etc. were dead against this restriction...the driving force was the guides...I participated in the questionnaire etc. but if you read the whole spew you'll see who is out for what...

My major bummer was this had been my first vacation in ten years...and I loved it..and it is REALLY crowded in some sections..others are not bad at all..but I have to admit, If I lived up there and wasn't dependent on tourism dollars the I would be some pissed to see my home rivers over run as well...Kind of cool thing was I didn't anyone trashing the place, Lots of respect from us foreigners for the most part...though I do kind of hope "Sir" finds and puts the fear of god into the yahoo's camping at owens flat....

17. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    I honestly dont see a problem with it. Its not like you can do a weekend up there very easily anyhow. I see their logic, and maybe the states should do the same on certain rivers. Btw, as you can see by my profile pic, the k#sp*!x is my fav!

18. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Great trip, no matter what a week is never enough. thanks for the pics and the update.

19. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Another example of Canadians learning from other (exploited) countries' (America in particular) mistakes and saving what resources they have left.

20. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    The rule does nothing for conservation or saving what they have. It does serve the guides interests and to some extent the locals interests. It's their country and province, so they can enact the rule. It's their right. It's a social rule not a conservation rule. If conservation were what the canadians were interested in then they would look differently at their natural resource extraction. That would be conservation based.

C&R fishermen are not responsible for fish declines, warm showers and wood decks may be.

Go Sox,
    cds