A YAKIMA NATIVE, MY FIRST WASHINGTON FISH!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tom Merrill, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Tom Merrill

Tom Merrill Member

Nice looking fish! Congratulations on your first catch and welcome to the state!

- Tom

P.S. Don't plan on every fish you catch to be that nice! :WINK

2. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Beautiful fish.
    I smell a debate about proper CnR coming on.

3. shockedalaskan

shockedalaskan New Member

No debate please. I never take them out of the water, NEVER.

I did this time. The reason why the fish is not laid out straight is because while the fish was in the water I put my rod down, I then took my fly box off and threw it over by the rod.

I then quickly took the fly out. I did not use a net and the fish was VERY fiesty.

I then grabbed it and laid it down and quickly flung my rod over it and then straightened out the fly box and took the photo. I then grabbed the fish and set it upright stroking the sides and it took off like a bat out of hell so I DONT WANT ANY C & R CRAP!

PLEASE let me gloat. PLEASE.:ANGRY

yours,

p

4. Mike Colagrossi

Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Nice Fish!!! What I want to know is how much you had to spend at Kaufmanns for them to tell you about this secret spot :BIGSMILE Great fish, and I would love to know what section of the Yak you wee fishing!!

Mike

5. shockedalaskan

Well,

I did buy a rell for 280.00. I needed it though and they always tie my line and help me out.

About 12 years ago, and I don't know if it was Kaufmanns then, they were nice enough to buy about 20 rods off of my dad when our lodge in Illiamna went under.

You take I-90, then get on HWY 10, then there is a bridge, you park, and you walk and walk and take a break, smoke a little, then walk and walk and 20 minutes later there is some water that is slow.

That's all I know.... :DUNNO

P <evilgrin>

6. Swinger

Swinger Banned or Parked

Feel Free

Do not worry about gloating.

Awesome fish and I promise they will all come much easier from now on! :THUMBSUP

7. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Very nice !
    That's one anybody would love!!
    LB

8. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

"Ouch, my poor stomach!" Just kidding. Nice Fish! I'll be the first one by the bridge! Just kidding again. Hehehe...

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19

9. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Congrats

pretty fish

Matt

10. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Dang- nice fish! But the eyes don't have the typical "living eye" downward glance... Kidding! :TONGUE

11. shockedalaskan

it's living!!!! I swear!

I would tell you, I would.

p :YUM :YUM

12. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Alomost looks like a small summer run steelie. Do they still run on the Yak?

PS: Put some MP3's on your site so'ins we can get a touch of your music?

13. shockedalaskan

I have three MPS's on my computer I can send to any member. No one in the states has heard my stuff yet.

Scott Rockenfeld of Queensryche is playing drums.

I can send an MP3 to anyone if I get an e-mail address to send it too. The site just got started today. I am going to get rid of the boxes around the site, I can tell already. I will post the whole mp3 thing when the site is near completion.

Hmmm.. not that this has anything to do with flyfishing, but can i post a mp3 here?

Nope, won't let ya!

p :ANGRY

14. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Post the MP3s to your site with a link here- that should work. Do you have email?

15. shockedalaskan

Nailnot,

I cannot post the mp3's to my site. (it's against the rules, a label thing). I have to wait until October 20th, before I can do that. It's a long story.

Besides, I am not doing the site, I have a company that does it for me and they are asleep I am sure.

I will however, e-mail them. I don't care what the label thinks. The most honest people in the world are flyfishermen. If I can't trust you guys, who can I trust?

My e-mail is phil@philfischer.com. I will reply with a mp3.

yours,

phil

16. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Cool- thanks. Look forward to hearing the tunes (I was checking out your site and reading lyrics a couple nights ago). I'll shoot you an email tomorrow morning when I'm on fast connection at work.

Nice fish! Did it restore your faith in Washington fishing? Just wait till you try sink tipping on the west side rivers for the goods :THUMBSUP

Last Sat, skated dry fly, hatchery fish (not "one uppin" just trying to help you keep the faith (which seemed to be wavering in some previous posts) :EEK ):

http://www.robelam.com/fishing/02images/fall/sm_drySteel1.jpg

17. shockedalaskan

Mine's got redder cheeks dude! :TSKTSK

LOL.

Yours,

Phil

P.S. It's Friday morning, I have a hangover, and I just realized how stupid my posts were! I apologize to everyone.

p

18. Luv2Spey

Luv2Spey Member

An AWESOME fish. Congratulations. Isn't it great to have others envy you. Enjoy your gloat.

Now, since this is such a short thread and could use a few more responses, here's some fun controversy for everyone:

I believe that you've caught a male, Redband Steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss gairdneri). Redband trout (of which the redband steelhead is the anadromous variant) are only found in the rivers and lakes of the Columbia River basin. As such, this could be native to the Yakima (and wouldn't that be extremely cool) or a wanderer from another river drainage (Deschutes?).

The diagnostic characteristic is the red gill plate AND the red coloration extending along the lateral line and ventral region. What would clinch the identity would be whether you remember observing a small, crimson-red cutthroat mark (not orange or yellow like a west-slope cutthroat).

Anyway, beautiful, beautiful fish.

Cheers,

Michael
    P.S. Y'all guessed it - I got the book, "Trout and Salmon of North America", by Robert Behnke yesterday.

19. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Hey Michael...that book is great. Full of information that seems to go over my head until I read it 7 times :WINK . I think it is the BIG words. LOL

Phil..definately a time to gloat. EXTREMELY envious. I think I need to talk to Chris and make sure he does not allow any more posts of steelhead caught until I catch mine :ANGRY . :LOVEIT . Problem with that idea is no one would be able to post for probably quite a while as I can not catch one??

~Patrick

20. Cutthroat_Fight

Cutthroat_Fight New Member

Phil What a BEEAAAUUUTTT! Gratz Man :THUMBSUP

B.