A YAKIMA NATIVE, MY FIRST WASHINGTON FISH!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tom Merrill, Oct 10, 2002.

1. shockedalaskan

shockedalaskan New Member

Patrick,

Excuse me if I am ignorant, but I don't think it was a steelhead. If it was a steelhead I will die and go to heaven.

Is it a steelhead? It's gotta be a rainbow.

phil :DUNNO

2. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

My bad...In a fit of envy and jealous rage I stated "steelhead". :WINK Either way I have never seen either one of these elusive beasts, thus lending to my uneducated remark regarding steelhead.

~Patrick

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What do I know---I'm just an old man

Pat

If you have been over to this side of the state and have been fishing these rivers and catching smolts. You have been catching steelhead. They are just little ones but that's what they are.

Jim

4. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Im not even worthy enough to catch even the smallest of steelies, smolts. Even the smolts hear me coming and begin evasive maneuvers to elude me. :REALLYMAD

Believe me, your smolt fest would have given me a sense of belonging and worthiness to move up in the world and begin contemplating the fascination of possibly catching a steelie. But no, I am not even capable of smolting. LOL :LOVEIT

~Patrick

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What do I know---I'm just an old man

And I thought that I was the only one not to catch fish.

Jim

6. shockedalaskan

Hey guys,

I wanted to thank Kauffmans in Bellevue for giving me directions to a cool spot on the Yakima. I did exacly what you told me to do and that was tie a foot long tippet to my large fly, and then tie a small bug on the end of the tippet.:HMMM

I fished a slow moving pool and there was no hatch. I saw a rise near the rocks. :TONGUE I cast out there and did nothing, just let the bug sit on the water, and watch the ripple it created. The next thing was WHAM! I saw my bug get swallowed by something red.

I let this guy take out about 100 feet of line. I played him, or her, for about 15 minutes and took my sweet time. When I had him up near shore I quickly laid him down and due to C & R I just threw my fly rod over the fish.

I took the photo tonight with my digital. I then released a NATIVE~

When I got back up to my truck, I took out my tape measure. The handle of my fly rod is 13 inches exactly. I am thinking this baby is 19? 20?

Look at those cheeks! Have you ever seen cheecks that red? WOW!

Anyway, the Yak is my new place.:DEVIL

P.S. I caught this thing on a regular looking dry fly and just floated it near the water.

Yours,

Phil

7. shockedalaskan

Ok, I worked it out. My rod is 13 inches long so this guy must be 21.

I am HAPPY as a clam! :TONGUE

I just could not believe how red it's cheeks were. I mean that is really RED.

Man he faught good. He really did. A NATIVE!!!!

YEAH YEAH YEAH...

I am downtown right now all dressed up drinking the night away!!!! That is me on the left right after a shot of Jack! That's my guitarist in the center and my bass player on the right!

I am celebrating!

1. I caught a nice fish. :COOK
    2. I released it and it killed me.:EEK
    3. I just found out my album is #3 in Europe. :LOVEIT
    4. I got this cool laptop with a snelling wireless modem.:THUMBSUP
    5. My website got started tonight for my release in the states.

www.philfischer.com