NFR AAA Anybody have/use it?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tythetier, May 8, 2013.

1. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    So we are going to be going to Idaho in a couple weeks, and want to take the pita... I feel the car is going to be sturdy and run forever now, but.... I was thinking of signing up for AAA for a month, just so we have it for the trip incase something goes wrong near the intersection of bum f#ck nowhere and the middle of nowhere Washington....
    Do you guys think this would be worth it to have 'just in case'?
    My wife and 6 month old son is going with, so I really wouldnt want all of us to be stranded in say Starbuck, Wa.
    Nothing against the town if you live there... Its just proly not known for its subaru repair shops or any repair shops actually...

What do ya think????
  2. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,010 / 0
    Not sure you can just sign up for a month, but if so it's well worth having.

As an example, about 15 years ago my wife and I and our then 5 year old daughter had stopped for gas and a cold snack in Sunnyside Washington on our way back from Boise one sweltering August day and managed to lock our keys inside the car. The place we'd stopped was kinda seedy and my bride was pretty spooked by the Hispanic locals hanging out at the little store. We called AAA and within a half hour they sent a locksmith who got into our car in about 30 seconds.

I've been a customer ever since and have used AAA for lockouts, battery replacement and towing. Worth every penny. I've even given membership to both my girls as a Christmas present for a little peace of mind when they're on the road.

K
    dbfly likes this.
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    Some insurance plans like State Farm cover lockouts. I locked my keys in my truck at the Plum landing on the Snoqualmie once. No cell service down there but it didn't matter as my wallet and cell phone were also in the truck along with my keys.

The mobile locksmith drove up and didn't even turn his truck off as getting in was that fast. Kinda about 40 seconds and that counted walking back to his truck twice.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    Had it for 30 years or so. It's come in handy lots.
    David Dalan likes this.
  5. cwlinkem New Member

Shoreline, Wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I've had it for many years, most of the time it has helped, once it did not. Moving from Kansas to Washington last summer my wife's car got a flat tire. It was Sunday evening and we were at a small gas station in a small town somewhere in Wyoming. Called AAA and they were little help. All the shops were closed and AAA suggested we just wait until morning. This was not acceptable. Luckily, the son of an employee at the gas station worked at a shop in town, came by and plugged the leak for us for $20 and we were back on our way. This was the only time when AAA was of no help for me, maybe an isolated case, but I keep this event in mind when travelling lonely roads on Sunday evenings.
  6. Randy Hardy Member

Woodinville, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    This is one service I think that is very worth the money. They help with the car you are driving AND the car you happen to be riding in. A few years ago my ranger blew something in the engine. No charge towing the dealership. They fixed a flat on my daughter's car on rainy fall evening. I blew out a tire (a brake pad punctured my sidewall) on my way to work, again rainy and cold at 6am. They were there quick and changed the tire fast. I like them even though insurance and other's provide similar types of coverage sometimes. And no I don't work for them, I work for the lazy B.
  7. Eric Denny Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +79 / 0
    My wife has AAA and a couple of years ago we where floating the n.f. cda and one of are friends tubs tipped over and when we got to the car figured out she had lost her keys. She called up and they said they would be there in a couple hrs. Well they were there in 45min. and made here a key that wasn't even the car on the claim. So if you can do it by all means do it. I have also seen here brother run out of gas at 230 in the morning and they came and gave him gas out in the middle of know where.
  8. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    AAA has saved my ass so many times.... When my wife first signed us up I was leery but I'm sold now. One extreme example. My wife an I went on a day hike out of Verlot many years ago. The trail head was 10-15 miles up a dirt road from the Verlot Ranger Station. She drove so I left my keys at home. About half way up the trail she askes if I have my keys?!?!?!? She put hers in the glove box and locked the car.:mad:

We caught a ride down the the ranger station and I called AAA. A tow truck came up and took me to my car and unlocked it - no charge. The driver said it would have been $300

There have been many instances since. My son was drifting his suby on a dirt road outside of Derrington and took out his oil pan. Kids!:mad:

Tow truck came out and got him and towed him to I5 - no charge.

We have used it for much less dramatic stuff too many times to recall - I would not go without it now
  9. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    I would highly recommend it, but don't think you can get it for a month. A year is relatively cheap anyways, and you can get discounts on hotels, car rentals, and some retail locations nationwide). For us it pays for itself in a year even if we never make a service call.

A couple of years ago we were on a family vacation to Montana and our 1999 Subaru Outback blew a head gasket at 11:30 at night pretty much "near the intersection of bum f#ck nowhere and the middle of nowhere Washington". I.e., the I-90 exit to Ritzville, WA. Within 20 minutes a tow truck from AAA was on the scene. While waiting for the truck we were able to talk to the AAA operator, and she was able to use the Internet to locate/call/confirm a motel room in Ritzville (on a long weekend no less).

So 45 minutes later the kids were watching TV in bed and the Subaru was at a local shop.

On a positive note, the people that we met in Ritzville were great. The shop owner didn't have parts of course, and likely couldn't fix it even in a week, but he just handed us the keys to his van and said to go get breakfast or even drive into Spokane to look for a new car and/or dealership. Since the car was getting pretty old, and I didn't want to ruin the family vacation, I just called a Subaru dealer in Spokane and said "I'm in Ritzville, my car's dead - come and pick us up and we'll buy a new car from you today". Obviously a car salesman dream come true, but none the less we got great service and a reasonable deal and were on our way to Montana in a much more comfortable ride that afternoon.

Another recommendation is to get the AAA+, (or whatever the extended version is) - that adds a lot of mileage for towing. If we had option this in Ritzville we likely could have just had it towed to Spokane in the first place.

Sure you can change a tire, or get a jump if you are in the city, but you're not going to be able to change your head gasket on the side of I-90.
    tythetier and Kent Lufkin like this.
  10. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,167 / 1
    Like it a lot. With two rigs with over 100K on each, it is worth the yearly cost.
    It has saved me a lot of hassle numerous times.
    If you use the discounts available with the card on meals, lodging etc the discounts you receive on those services will easily cover the yearly membership fee.
    SF
  11. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    Definitely talk to your insurance company about roadside assistance. It costs next nothing and usually does most of what AAA does.
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,404 / 0
    My wife and me had it for over 20 years until they did us wrong. My wife cancelled our policy and before we could get anymore I got slide off the road in the snow in S/Dak.. Thank goodness for 911. I called and got a deputy to pull me out of the snow bank
  13. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    We have roadside through our insurance, but it only covers $75. In the land of towing, thats proly not much.
    Darryl, your story is similar to why I would like to get it for this trip.
    It sounds like they do take care of you if you need to use them for the most part.
    OMJ, that is cool of the trooper to do that for you... Most wouldnt risk the liability to do something like that I would think
  14. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +618 / 0
    I never roll without it. I have trailering add on as well as regular vehicle coverage.
  15. Kim McDonald member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Love AAA! I've used them for flats, dead batteries (once), and even when a friend ran out of gas in eastern Washington and called me. I figured AAA could get there sooner than I could over the Pass, so I called and they were there in 15 minutes with 5 gallons.

Back in the day, waaaaaaaay before all the Internet services, they created trip planners for road trips. Great books, pretty good maps...

But they are great. Best insurance I have.
  16. ffiksa New Member

Fox Island, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've carried AAA with the RV coverage for quite a few years, as we haul boats and other toys across the pass to Idaho several times per year. I've only had to use it once, but it's been a nice safety blanket when travelling with the family. I also tow a flat bed trailer with a tractor, and they said they would even come tow my tractor out of the mud if I got it stuck (I've yet to test that, though). We give the same coverage to my father-in-law every year as present. He hauls antique, collectible trailers around and has used it frequently without complaint.

Aaron
  17. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Alright, I am thinking we will get it. If something does happen, it will pay for its self. If not, it doesnt work out to be all that bad for a year, so no big deal.
  18. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Love AAA. Been a member for years and years. The service aspect (flat repairs/gas/towing) is almost secondary to me. The savings from hotel rooms, car rentals and purchases (you'd be surprised who gives you a discount) pays for the the yearly fee.

I also load up on maps when ever I travel, what the heck, they're part of being a member. I also use the travel agency to check prices I get. Several times they have saved me airfare beyond what expedia has.

My ramblings on the subject.

Stew
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  19. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +868 / 1
    Been an AAA member over 20 years. Other than trip ticks, I have (knock on wood) not required their road service.
  20. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +289 / 1
    I've had it, still have it, and never had to use it. I will continue to have it. It is relatively cheap insurance.