Abel creek 1 reel

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Snakedoctor, May 13, 2012.

1. Snakedoctor

Snakedoctor New Member

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and have a question regarding the old Abel creek ( click and pawl ) reel. I have one which has developed a side to side play. Any ideas on how I can fix it without having to send it Abel. Thanks.

2. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Are you talking about a general spool wobble or distinctly side play were the spool moves in and out of the frame in line with the spool shaft.
    The most likely cause of spool wobble in a reel as new as the Creek is a bent spool or spool shaft.. This can only be caused by impact or great pressure.
    If the spool has side play the most likely cause is that the spool latch (under the latch cover on the spool) is not engaging fully. Take off the latch cover and look inside for clues (dirt, disengaged spring, etc). You can probably find an exploded view of the reel on Abel's web site.

If it were an older or less well built reel there are more variables that might apply.

TC

3. Snakedoctor

Snakedoctor New Member

Thanks for the tip TC. It is a slight side to side play and not a wobble. I opened and cleaned out the whole reel and thereafter applied some petrolum jelly. Reel feels as solid as that day it was new.