Abel Nippers Worth The Money?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by snugpie, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Anyone have experience with the Abel Nippers that in plain colors run about $50? I was also looking at the Loon Nip-N-Sip which does the same thing for considerably less, but not sure as to the quality of the Loon product since I've only used their floatant. I welcome all thoughts and opinions!

2. $50 for nippers?
    I've got a bridge you might be interested in...

3. Christ, Just buy fingernail clippers. Way cheaper. All they are used for is cutting leader. Unless you want to look like Joe Cool who THINKS he knows his way around a vest. I have so many nippers I have them laying all over my house.

Jslo, dfl, plaegreid and 1 other person like this.
  4. I definitely see your point, but I know the jaws are replaceable which means they could last years. I would rather invest in the best and have them last, then buying 5 shitty pairs in the meantime...just my .02.

5. Even shitty nippers seem to last longer than I can keep track of them.

The Duke likes this.
  6. They might last years but how many drug store fingernail clippers could you buy for the same?

Ya gonna buy some of those $300 Van Staal fishing pliers too?

Sorry, not my cuppa tea! :)

7. Haha :D my buddy told me the same thing today, however those can't stand up to saltwater worth a damn. But it's just like people who smoke $30 Padron Anniversary cigars, while others prefer a more reasonably priced Fuente...it's preference.

flyfool and Paul Potter like this.
  8. Yeah, I'm just givin' ya some crap! ;)

If you want those Abel nippers and have the money to get 'em, go for the gusto!!

It kinda burned my ass to pay $139 for my Orvis Guide Pack but I'm glad I did as I absolutely love it!

Think about how much we spend on rods, reels, lines, etc. What's 50 bucks?

Well, unless you're backing it out of your court appointed child support!

9. Holy shit. I agree with the old man. Feels kinda weird.

10. Agree w/ snugpie: "those can't stand up to saltwater worth a damn."
    Don't know about the cigars....

11. Since I don't fish in the Salt, I don't worry about my nippers. I keep three pairs in my Truck and at any given time I can find none of them. I don't put things back where they belong. I just set them down and forget where I set them at. These things happen when you are as old as I am.

They might fall under the seats or under the floor mats. Or I might put them away(Fat chance of that). Then I pull out my fingernail clipper and cut my leader. These cheap things work for me.

dfl likes this.
  12. If they are anything like their pliers, I'd recommend taking a pass.

13. I have 3 pairs that were FREE when i purchased a bridge from Rich Olmstead.... what a deal!

c1eddy, Jslo, underachiever and 4 others like this.
  14. OKay, that's funny.

15. Holy cow! 50 bucks for nippers??? For that kind'a money they'd better do something more than just snip leader material.

Geeez.... I'd be embarrassed to build a product similar to fingernail clippers and sell the thing for 50 bucks... unless it has some hidden attribute. :)

16. Hey...you can also fly fish with a cheap eagle claw fly rod, a $9.99 Martin fly reel, and a cheap olympic fly line too. It's all relative;) . The Abel nippers are the sage's and winston's of nippers.:p You want it ...go for it. It would suck if you ever lost them or dropped them in the drink....:eek:

17. I got some of those as a Christmas gift once. (I didn't ask for them.) From the same gift-giver I also got one or two of those squiggly cord Orvis zingers. I had my $50 nippers and my hook hone on my Orvis zinger which was attached to my shirt while I was fishing Lone Lake out of my canoe in February. I leaned over to release a fish and the whole lot fell in the lake. So those $50 nippers lasted me about 1.5 months. The "pinback" part of the Orvis zinger is faulty and comes undone too easily. I'll never use 'em again. And I will certainly never ever pay $50 for nippers. Better to just have 5 or so cheaper pairs rolling around at all times like Old Man.

18. The Redington Nippers are $7.00 and work great!

[​IMG]

19. OK ...those look decent, and looks as thought they triple up as a eye hook cleaner, and bottle opener?

20. I was skeptical too, then I bought a set. I've made my money back since the purchase cutting wire, gel spun, 50# fluoro and 7x tippet for others.