Abel Nippers Worth The Money?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by snugpie, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +184 / 0
    Always wanted a pair but could never bring myself to spend $50 on nippers ;).
  2. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    I love my Abel nippers, went thru 5 cheap ones in a row, lost, crappy nipping, and overall lack of aesthetics. Bought the Abel and it is bombproof, just the way I like my tools.
  3. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +931 / 1
    Fifty pairs Fred Meyer nail clippers for $50.
    dfl likes this.
  4. snugpie Member

Ratings: +5 / 0
    That's my thought process with anything in fishing and nothing is cheap. Like you, I also bought a pack, except I got the Fishpond Westwater Waist Pack, and worth every penny. Everyone has their niche, but with saltwater there aren't many fishing tools that can sustain the abuse.
  5. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +741 / 0
    not worth it unless they are made of pure unobtainium.
    dfl and Gary Knowels like this.
  6. snugpie Member

Thanks Don Freeman and Eyejuggler for the insight! I'll be getting a pair soon, just wanted to get some feedback as to the quality.
  7. snugpie Member

I like your sense of humor :D
  8. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    Here is a gratuitous shot of my nippers and a fine SRC from a better day on the water. If I didn't have the nippers I would not have landed this fish. [IMG]
    The nippers WILL help you catch more fish...just be sure to bring some small Ant patterns as well.

[IMG]
    Jslo and snugpie like this.
  9. snugpie Member

Hahaha. Those nippers are a game changer!
  10. Scudley Do Right Member

Ratings: +22 / 0
    boom

Attached Files:

11. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +405 / 0
    Actually, something's are cheap. Namely, nippers.
    snugpie likes this.
  12. snugpie Member

Hahaha, touche! :D
  13. NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

Seattle, WA
    yikes, I am flabergasted over this question, don't know what to say, put it this way, even the guys at the fly shop would talk about the sale, if you rarel loose things I guess it's Ok....but to answer your question, most likely not worth the money
  14. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +912 / 0
    This forum has such a problem with people spending money on things.

#OCCUPYFLYFISHINGYOLO

In all seriousness... If you want them, get them man. If those nippers will make your fishing experience better then go for it. I'm sure they are excellent at what they do. Just don't lose em! I've seen people spend $700 on a leather head cover for their putter in their golf bag. Would I do it? Nope. Would I fling shit at them for buying one? Nope.
    Anil likes this.
  15. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +833 / 1
    I didn't pay $50 for them, but the Abel's are worth it for me - after almost two years of nearly daily use, they are starting to dull and I'll replace the blades - they have a two-year guarantee so that'll cost me exactly..nothing else. Covered - and MADE IN THE USA.
    Anil and Eyejuggler like this.
  16. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,035 / 0
    P.T. Barnum was a visionary!
    Olive bugger likes this.
  17. snugpie Member

Thanks Derek for the review! I'll definitely be getting a pair based on that and the MADE IN USA is a big deal to me as well!!
  18. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +405 / 0
    I don't think that's the case here. He asked if they were worth the money. He's found out that to most people they aren't.
    snugpie likes this.
  19. snugpie Member

^ I like this guy.
  20. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +912 / 0
    That is true... I guess it was more a blanket statement I was making. Maybe it's just me but every time a product that happens to be expensive comes up on this forum you can count on about half the posts being real negative just because it's expensive, not because it's a good or bad product.

Or maybe I'm still bitter about the whole costco/sage discussions... Not sure.
    Dave Evans likes this.