Abel Nippers Worth The Money?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by snugpie, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I have three all making it 3 years. But, based on your timeline maybe they are all going to crap out at the same time any day now.

What on earth are you doing to them?

3. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

maybe i just dug through my garage to look for my last pair that broke to take a pic but I must of tossed them.

I fish a lot, like 200 days a year easy a lot, those things dont last.

edit: The Dr Slicks are the ones with the Pakistan stamp on the side right?

4. GAT

GAT Active Member

$125.00 (and more!) for carnival colored needle nosed pliers from Abel? Sheeesh.

:eek:

Evidently they are trying to give Snap-On a run for their money.

5. Fishee

Fishee Member

This is one of those topics again. It's real simple, if you like it and you can afford, buy it. My $20.00 nips just as well as my other 5 dollar nipper. My TFO fly rod cast just cast as well as my other fly rod like my RL Winston LTX. Is all personal is what i see.

6. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

I assume when a steelie is following my fly they are checking to see how clean the cut is on my tippet. For that reason I break out a new pair of Abel nippers each day I fish. Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference.

7. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I just looked at mine. They are silver with gold handles and there's no pakistan stamp. Sure you got the right ones?
    [​IMG]

8. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

9. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

10. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

This is about 2 years old and its probably getting towards the end of its life, I guess I got some sand in it recently because you can feel debris when you open and close it. I tried soaking it in oil\WD40 but it didnt help. Doesnt have the reach forceps do but it will cut tippet or a 4\0 hook in half if you stick yourself (dont ask...), plus it has a knife for bleeding fish. I think i paid like 30 bucks for it.

To be fair to the Dr Slicks I often leave my tube sitting on the dock during the summer, and they are clipped to it so they are pretty exposed but meh.

Anyway I am going fishing, I will be back later and we can argue the finer points of expensive wool socks for winter wading or something.

gerber crucial.JPG

11. GAT

GAT Active Member

12. chief

chief Active Member

Like a lot of things in life, if you have to ask how much they cost you can't afford them......

13. flyfool

flyfool Active Member

Isn't it a little risky to clip a tag end with a blender?

14. rymo

rymo Member

Once you get used to it, it's not too bad. The generator and extension cord are a pain on the Middle Fork though.

flyfool likes this.
  15. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

They hydro dam being proposed on the NF will help you with this.

16. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Love the avatar flyfool....great movie ;)

flyfool likes this.
  17. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I checked my teeth in the mirror, and the ones I use as nippers aren't any more worn than any of the others. They could use a good sharpening, though.

On a vaguely related note, I just ran into a guy I know at the boat ramp after paddling/fishing today. Hadn't talked to him in couple of years since he retired. He seemed relaxed and content. Told me he didn't even know what day it was. He spends most of his days fishing now, or working around his house. We have a lot of mutual friends, so I filled him in on the scuttle.
    I showed him the pic of the 10" cutt I C&R'd casting and stripping a Reversed Spider. He asked me if I had noticed any bigger ones.
    "Nope," I replied, "but I also C&R'd about a half dozen dandy Peamouth Chubs!"

Just then a nice cutt swirled right out in front of the ramp! We both let out whoops. He busted out a cheap spinning rod with a plastic red/white bobber and a can of home dug worms. Made a few casts without any luck. Then we saw a bigger fish jump upstream. He grinned and packed up his stuff and said he was driving to another spot higher up where he could enjoy a beer and a smoke while bobber fishing.

Dang, after reading this thread, and then running into this happy mellow retired dude, I think I might just go back to being a worm fisherman. My compost heap has settled down into being a really productive worm hatchery!:D

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  18. snugpie

snugpie Member

Snug pie is a term I came up with in college. It pertains to women...I'll let you're mind do the rest. :D

Gary Knowels likes this.
  19. flyfool

flyfool Active Member

Yeah... Lee Marvin, Jane Fonda, Nat King Cole....I gotta watch that again. Lee Marvin played at least two roles. Funny as hell.

20. flyfool

flyfool Active Member

I hope you are using a UL listed marine-use cord with a GFCI receptacle on the generator. You might have a lot of explaining to do if a lot of fish suddenly start floating belly-up around you. So carry a net and be quick.

dfl likes this.