Absence of Silvers -

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Andrews, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

Media:
    There was a post back in mid-February about the absence of resident silvers in the south sound. I am wondering if anyone has had sightings now that it is almost a month later. In the places that I usually target SRC's and pick up a lot of silvers over the past four years I have not hooked a resident silver all winter. Just wanted to see if there was any sights. I will be heading out all day on Saturday and will report shortly after returning.

2. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Still haven't seen the schools that frequents my backyard. I have scouted all winter and saw one school at thanksgiving. I feel more confident Steelhead fishing than going out for Silvers right now...

3. HARDER

HARDER New Member

I would have to agree that it has been a slow winter, I just don't have the answers as to why. I haunt about 10 spots regularly, and the only "productive" spot has been west narrows. The stronger the current rip the better, and I usually fish the switch on an incoming tide. That said, it is still a lot of fishing and not much catching. I will be out this weekend and will post a report.

4. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    I had one awesome day at the end of December, then fished a number of days up through the middle of February with no luck. Not much bait around either.

5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I was at a Puget Sound Recreational Fishing Enhancement meeting last night where the current resident silver situation was discussed.

It's not going well due to a number of factors, food being number one.

The numbers are not there, consider yourselves fortunate to run into those you are seeing.

Leland.

6. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have had a couple of incidents where I ran into them, but it has been a lot more few and far between this year.

7. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    I ran into one tonight, about 14 inches. But that was the only one.

8. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

Media:
    Well I will see what happens this weekend.

9. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

At the Wednesday meeting of the Puget Sound Recreational Enhancement Oversight Committee the news on the WDFW resident coho salmon program was as Leland stated, bleak. The changes in South Puget Sound available feed is not taking care of the fish being released, surivival rates are very low. A litany of problems are woven through the program. WDFW biologists are working on the problems but a near-term cure is not on the horizon.
    We will keep members of WFF apprised of any information we come up with.
    Keep the faith,
    Les Johnson

10. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

Media:
    Well I am heading out in about 30 minutes to get out on the water. I will post a report tonight. I doubt I will see a signal silver, but I hope to get some blackmouth and giant SRC's.

11. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Just second what Les and Leland have been saying:

The available information is that survival of the south Sound coho has been extremely low for sometime. As one moves northward the survival improves some. While it is not known what the underlying cause(s) of the this poor survival is there is little question that forage conditions in the sound are different than what they had been. Is that because continued degradation of the Sound's habitat or part of a cyclic process or global warming? Who knows? Most likely some sort of combination.

However the whole situation begs for the question to be asked. How does the large hatchery releases of salmon in South Sound play in this poor survival of the juvenile salmon in the area? Are the increased numbers of fish (including those from delayed releases) in the area over taxing the food web or some other factor?

Just something to think about.

Tight lines
    Curt

12. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    I like catching rezzies as much as anyone, but....

If there is a lack of food source in the Sound, it seems to me that native fish populations, including cutthroat, should take priority over hatchery resident silvers. I wonder if the release program really does more damage than good?

Tom

13. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

Media:
    Well, hit the Canal and got two residents silvers. Though between my friend Aaron and I we probably landed 20 SRC's. Aaron landed his biggest SRC, which measured 18 inches. My biggest was 16.5 inches. The majority of the cutts were 12 to 14 inches.

14. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

man you guys must have fished all day to get 20 cutthroats. Thats a lot of casting!
    nice going!

15. rotato

rotato Active Member

there has been a lack of food but yesterday fished a beach with a large school of herring
    everyone was getting into the act
    birds sea lions rezzies
    the salmon would slash thru and many fish would go airborne
    nice to see though
    today nada

16. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    more like a lot of trolling... :thumb::beathead:

17. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    - degrade the marine habitat (pick you favorite target, street runoff, leaking septics........)
    - watch the eel grass flats disappear(means the herring have no where to spawn)
    - factor in declining returns of wild fishes which have been overharvested by two different commercial fisheries(which then kicks the commercial lobby into high gear)
    - add in huge releases of hatchery fish from two different sources(see the above statement)
    - watch the once resiliant and large fish turn into a bunch of 2-3# runts while 98-99% of the hatchery fish don't make it at all.
    - keep spending millions on more hatchery fish so we can cycle to the top of the list and work our way to this statement, decade after decade.

its 'we the people' screwing around with naturally occurring cycles thinking that somehow we know enough to be able to dump millions of zombies in various locations, kill off the food sources for these fish and expect to have a vibrant and sustainable fishery.

just amazing how stupid we are.

18. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

Media:
    Yes, we troll a lot to zero in on the schools and then cast to them from the boat.

19. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    I get the feeling that he was trolling for you there Nick.