NFR ACA Website Debacle

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What a frigging mess. Just heard from some co-workers whose now working adult children have spent piles of time trying to access the website from two different states and, having done so, are quite disappointed with the result; from both cost and quality.

Bad enough it got passed in the manner it did and that we probably should have read the bill before bringing it to the floor (Pelosi's now infamous line "first we have to pass the bill before we can see what's in it"...is coming home to roost) but then the administration isn't smart enough to simply contract with competent companies with proven track records developing sophisticated, complex websites. 3 years and nearly $1 billion invested.

Are they simply too proud to admit they've crapped this up and that more time is needed to get things right? In the private sector, those proving incapable of getting the job done are replaced with those that are...the complete lack of any accountability in government is ridiculous.

Anyone on the forum signed up through the healthcare.gov or various state exchange websites?

Phil Fravel likes this.
  2. All politics aside, the implementation of the electronic portion of this is indeed laughable. Does not seem to even be that complex a system. Not sure why its befuddling the powers to be to setup a data driven website. It's not rocket surgery.

Dave Kaiserman likes this.
  3. I don't think pride is clouding their judgment as much as devotion to ideology is obscuring their recognition of the failure to craft workable legislation capable of bipartisan support, along with the elite's paternal attitude of assuming to know what is best for the masses. One needs only to look at the effects of previous administrations' efforts to create "affordable housing loans" for the masses in order to see the unfortunate consequences of well-intended but unworkable social policy. (Yes, successive administrations cooked, seasoned, and ultimately burned the dish).

You also have to consider that this may be a first step in a "controlled crash" necessary to achieve an outcome beyond that which could be legislated (single payer). Something along the lines of the complete takeover of the student loan business...

My personal insurance agent here in Washington State has been trying without success since October 1 to complete the process to "get me into the exchange". The last I heard there were approximately 56,000 signed up here (according to Sen Murray), but she neglected to mention that nearly 90% of those were Medicaid patients, not "paying" customers. Yeah, that will work.

I'm not confident that more time alone will fix this attempt to insure everyone. There are too many structural problems with the legislation, too few willing to pay for something they hope to get for free, insufficient total wealth available to bankroll it, and too big of a prize awaiting those who strive to create and maintain such dependency among the voting public.

The bad news is that it is unsustainable.
    The good news is that it is unsustainable.

Note to Moderators: If this posting is out of line or in clear violation of policy, feel free to delete same.:)

freestoneangler likes this.
  4. Sebelius says they just needed more time.... Laughable, at best.

After two weeks of review, the HHS secretary concluded, “We didn’t have enough testing, specifically for high volumes, for a very complicated project.”
    The online insurance marketplace needed five years of construction and a year of testing, she said: “We had two years and almost no testing.” …

5. Sure glad that the Tea Party didn't get their way, and have this thing delayed a year. Stupid Tea Baggers! What do they know, right? :rolleyes:

Like I mentioned in the other thread about this to Jesse...this thing is drawn up to fail. Single payer system in 3-5 yrs. Heck, they probably already have that software running!

There isn't ONE single government program, that runs as efficiently as it's counterpart in the private sector. That's why they make money, instead of losing it. No, I'm not for the old system, but this ain't gonna work. But like I said, I don't think it was suppose to.

Just say'n

Phil Fravel likes this.
  6. Did you hear who got the contract? Did you hear who they did/didn't talk to for advice on getting it started 3 yrs ago?

Look, I don't care if you're a Tea Party, Rep, Dem or whatever, but this is shameful. Pride only hurts the innocent people who need help.

Unfortunately, there's a handful of hard working/willing to work across the isle men - but they get trashed by the staunch hardliners from both sides.

Come on man!

7. Our site can do without this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.