Access being denied.

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jim Wallace, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Damn, I drove up to one of my local lakes yesterday, Failor Lake, on Rayonier tree farm property, and as I went in, I thought I saw a red dot on the sign by the open gate. (Red dot means no entry by the general public in motor vehicles). I ignored what I thought I saw and kept driving in as the lake is still open.

"WTF?" I thought.

The lake is open for fishing until 10/31. Can they do this? Hardly anybody is fishing the lake now. Everyone is going after salmon. EXCEPT, that is, for me and a couple other people who love to fish for trout.
    I think I am going to have to start lobbying to keep these places open to the public, as it seems like access is being denied to more and more good fishing spots by private tree farms like Weyerhauser and Rayonier.
    I'm going to call Rayonier and ask them about this.

By the way, there was a chironomid hatch going off when I arrived at about 2:30pm. Good sized black ones! Lots of 'em. Rise rings everywhere. Got two (one bow, one cutt) skating a #12 black gnat. Fun takes on those!
    There was little wind, and half the lake's surface was completely glassy. The trout were eating emergers struggling to get through the film. They were spooky, and I could barely get to within 40 feet. I fished a black chironomid near the surface to no avail. Tried a trimmed down Doc Sprately. No go.
    Ended up casting my "Failor Lake Special" #10 Halloween Bugger with a clear intermediate line over the rings and stripping it back in a bit, pausing a while to let it sink again, then stripping some more, pausing to let it sink again. This worked to get some good takes. Missed 2/3 of 'em, though. The pausing seemed to be an important part of the equation.

I had three fat 13" - 14" stocker bows go absolutely nuts with the aerial display. One jumped pretty high 6 times!

On the way out, I stopped at the gate and checked the entry sign. Yep, red dot. Gotta go make that call!

2. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Hi Jim
    I'm not sure I understand.
    You are trespassing and you didn't get caught so you are going to complain?
    This is how I believe things should be.
    All rivers, lakes should have some public access.

3. Jim Wallace

Damn right! I called Rayonier, and spoke with a very pleasant sounding woman, who informed me that the road was indeed closed to public vehicular traffic. Its still Ok to walk or bike the three miles in, but you need a boat or float tube to fly fish that lake. I don't have any plans to use a float tube in this incarnation, so I will fish other lakes the rest of the season.

Since I voluntarily confessed while seeking legitimate confirmation of the red dot
    without having to be beaten with rubber hoses filled with lead shot,
    fined I was not!:p

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Jim,
    That seems odd the road is closed. Did she give any explaination for the closure?
    I wonder if the Rayonier park / campground area right off the highway is also closed?
    Brian

5. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Jim, just an idea about the road closure: It's Elk season and I'm guessing that it is a 3pt. or larger area. Pretty common for Fish and Game to implement their 'conservation' road closures in those areas. Would be interested to find the real reason! Off the subject.... I see on the WDFW site a lot of hatchery steelhead[broodstock?] planted in Lake Aberdeen, 8-10lbs. Worth swinging by on the way for Razor Clamming and crabbing around Westport? Thanks in advance, Fred.

6. Jim Wallace

Stonefish, There are sings posted all over for a "timber sale" that was going on there in August, and they are getting ready to log in the area. Moving some equipment in on the roads now. That might be the cause, too. I don't know about the 3-pt stuff, as I don't hunt. You can still walk or bike in.
    Promised Land? You can call Rayonier at (360) 533-7000 and ask them about what's open.

Fred, I think it would be worth your while. That lake gets stocked pretty good, since the hatchery is right there at the outlet. Good place for smaller boats. No gas outboards allowed on the lake. I haven't been there in a while, so I might even be there myself. A good plan might be to fish mid-day til late afternoon, and then pull out and head to the beach and clam in the dark with your lantern and headlamp. The big high tides we are getting in the afternoons won't be out all the way until then, anyway.
    Dragging a wooly bugger or leech deep might produce a lunker. Triploids, Broodstockers, Steelhead... all have been planted in there. A friend of mine caught a 21" whitefish there.

7. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Elma Game Club and WDFW did that in a small handful of lakes down there (including Failor). I'd bet money most of those are yanked out soon after the opener. What's left gets to choose between your damsel and a shit-pot of pop gear and powerbait :clown:.

8. Jim Wallace

Ford, they had to change the regs to allow the retention of only 2 trout over 15" in those lakes, as the year before a few stupid jerks were targeting the larger trophy trout and taking out 5 per day as long as they could catch them. There are some incredibly greedy and pathetic dipshits out there with nothing better to do than to hurry up and try to catch all the big planters before anybody else does.
    A few good trout manage to avoid getting caught by the pop gear draggers, worm drowners, and powerbaiters, though, and learn to eat the bugs in the lake. Probably more so in Failor than in Aberdeen.

I must confess that yesterday I bonked two 13" stocker bows for the fry pan. I let Sixjumper go, as he earned it with his performance, and was a good 14". All the cutts get to swim, as they are natives. This was also in the, uhh, "interest of science," (yeh, that's it, science) as I wanted to see what was in these fish's stomachs.

One of the bonkers I caught near the bottom, after the rain started. Its stomach was stuffed full of partially digested dragon nymphs, a whole lot of freshwater clams about 1/8" to 1/4" across and with dark amber, easily crushable shells, one encased caddis larvae, and some yucky puke-colored stuff, as well as some chironomid pupae, but not many. This fish was bottom feeding while his brethern were feeding near the surface. Not running with the herd. Was it some kind of maverick or contrarian? What other fish misfits might there be lurking in the depths?

The other unlucky bow was taken nearer the surface, while retrieving thru some rise rings, and it was really stuffed to the gills 100% with chironomid pupae. One of the gang.

Three weeks ago, I figured the lack of litter, eagles, and powerbaiters at the lake was an indicator that most of the stocked trout have been removed, as all i caught were cutthroat.
    Now I know that there are still some stocked 'bows left in the lake, maybe some big Trips.

9. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Good for you to release the cutts.
    Didn't mean to beat ya with the rubber hose.
    I'm just a little jealous that you west side guys have so many lakes/rivers to choose from.
    I could fish the Columbia and catch and kill squaw dogs all day, but I like to eat a nice fresh tasting trout once in a while and it doesn't take long for the stockers to taste like mud in the few lakes close to Wenatchee.
    I do get up to RW as often as possible, good eaten trout.

10. Jim Wallace

The grass is always greener on the Wet Side. I envy you guys who are within day-range of RW. Those are some mind-blowing Trips up there!
    I have to make do with what I've got locally. Fortunately, Failor is a decent bug/food factory, with its weedy shoals and chironomid saturated flats, and that makes it halfway decent for fly fishing. I'm looking forward to next Spring.
    I get to explore other lakes for now.

11. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

on a related note, why the hell would they have a closed season on stocked lakes?

12. Jim Wallace

That's a good question. I wouldn't know the answer. However, Failor Lake appears to have a small but healthy self-sustaining population of native coastal cutts that spawn in the feeder creek. Some anglers there harvest them. I don't.