Access map to the Yakima

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by James Mello, Aug 2, 2002.

1. The last time that I went to the Yakima, I ended up getting harassed by some yahoo's (even though I was *on* the river). I was wondering if there were sections of the Yakima that were on purely public land? In leui of this, are there streches that have well defined access and generally accepting owners?

2. The lower canyon from Big Horn to Roza.

What part of the river were you on?

Greg

3. I was in the middle canyon section. I can't remember where it was exactly, but there was a turn off over a public bridge where I parked. I then walked from the bridge to the river and *only* in the water and on the shore. I fished for a while when some yahoo's started to bother me. They shouted a bunch of crap about how I should get off there land (from a truck on the bridge) when I was standing on a sand bar.... Go figure.... :(

4. I might be old---but I'm good.

Go to www.worleybugger.com Click on Yakima river maps And then Yakima river map II. It shows all or most of the access points from Easton to Roza dam. It will also help if you have a atlas of this state to help you pin point these areas.

Jim S. :THUMBSUP

5. Even though you are in the right when you are in the water, you don't want to get into it with the "locals" who are out to keep "outsiders" off their land or out of their river. This is something that you run into (especially in Montana) at times where landowners feel they own the river if it flows through land that they own on both sides of the river. While you legally have access to the river from the high water mark, it's not worth get your butt kicked or worse.

I can't say I've ever run into this situation but I'd probably leave if harassed by "yahoos" yelling at me to get off their property. Maybe they've had problems with people cutting across their property or leaving a gate open and then having livestock gets out so they get on anyone they have a chance to yell at.

Whatever the reason, check with the local fly shops and see if they know what's up with this!

Good Luck!

Greg

6. The Yakima has a lot of access without passing over private land. In addition, once you are on (in)the river, you are fine. The private land does not extend to the river bottom. I'm sure that you could argue this point with the land "owner", but you never know what the reaction will be - esp. if you are on the river and your car is a ways away.

7. Have fun be Safe

thats to bad. that there are so many red necks in the world.

8. I might be old---but I'm good.

There are not to many of them. It's just that they seem to be where you want to fish at. I've only been hassled once and that was from a woman who ranted and raved that we were going to cross over her property. When we wern't,we accessed the river from a bridge. To top it all off the land that we were by was all woods. So go figure.