Access problems with the new site host?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kent Lufkin, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    Since the site has moved to the new server, I've been unable to access the site from either of my home computers. The browser simply times out and displays an error message like "Sorry, unable to locate the requested URL." I am able to access it from my work machines.

I originally chalked it up to my home ISP perhaps not having an up to date NS list. But I've recently spoken with one member and received an email from another who are likewise unable to access the site from some of their machines.

Is anyone else having problems accessing the site?

Chris, I can access the site via it's IP address at home. But since all the internal links resolve through the domain name, it's a pain to have to replace it with the IP address for each link. External links work just fine.
  2. Bogie New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    No problem accessing the site,but,I have sporadic problems getting the threads to come up.Have to click more than once and sometimes it takes a while to get them up.Also have trouble clicking on classifieds occasionally.Don't know if it is my computer or the site.
  3. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    No trouble with my brand new Dell. But then it's faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, more powerful than a locomotive...

Bob, the Damn but I love this new box of little wires.:smokin The only down side is that if you need help with it, you have to know Punjabi or Hindi or both. :rofl
  4. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +295 / 0
    The reason you recently starting seeing that failed message is that the old server took it's copy of WFF offline all together. That'll force ISP's still looking at the old IP to update sooner. At this point I'm still not suprised to see a few stragglers still bouncing off the old server. Let me know in a week if it's still not working.

Chris
  5. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Thanks Chris :-D
  6. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    The other thing that you can do is in the OSRoot drive (c:\windows\ or whatever) you can add a file called "hosts" and then enter

washingtonflyfishing.com xxx.xxx.xxx

Under Windows it may be slightly differently named, but it will still be hosts.xxx. Its been awhile since I configured this for a Windows machine, so I might not be exactly right, but its a kluge that can work for you.

Rob
  7. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,728 / 0
    Some other things you might do is to clear your DNS cache. Simply open a dos window by typing "cmd" at the run option on your "Start" menu. At the dos prompt type "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes. This will flush your dns cache and force your machine to resolve any web sites you go to with your provider's dns server.
  8. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Thanks for your suggestions but my offending home machines are both newer Macs running OS 10.3. Any Mac advice gratefully appreciated.
  9. jabseattle jabs

Desert Dweller
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I had access problems to this site for all of last week. I think it had to do with my company's network problems and upgrades, but let me tell you that made for one long work week.x(
  10. Hormel Member

Seattle, Wa, USA.
    Fortuna,
    Could it be your browser? Are you using Safari or Explorer on your Macs? Maybe you should clear the history.

I have had no problem with 10.3.4 and the new server.
  11. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    >Fortuna,
    >Could it be your browser? Are you using Safari or
    >Explorer on your Macs? Maybe you should clear the
    >history.
    >
    >I have had no problem with 10.3.4 and the new server.

I can't access the site with either Safari and IE on 10.3.4. I've cleared the History and made sure to activate the 'Check for a new version of the site every . . . ' dialog in the prefs for each. Is there a 'Hosts' file buried in the OS somewhere?

As much as I love OS 9.2.2 I really hate OS X :-((

Thanks.
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,626 / 0
    I also am having problems but they are not big ones. It takes a while to load and like was said you have to click on it and sometimes I have to click stop and then try it again to get it to come up. And then again on some days it comes right up. I'm not smart enough to figure out what is wrong so I just plod on and in the end it all seems to work out.

Jim
  13. Mike Wade Member

Shoreline, Washington, USA.
    That is the exact problem I'm having.I always wonder if it is just my computer doing this.Am glad to hear others have the same problem.Was afraid I needed a new computer.
  14. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Taken off an OS X site:

"In OS X 10.2 (Jaguar), the hosts table is now active ... even though the hosts file itself says that it only works in single user console mode. So, if you're in a hurry to add hosts that Rendezvous can't find, then simply edit your /etc/hosts file (as root) and add lines for each host alias."

Chris
  15. Big K1 Large Member

Duvall, WA, U.S.A.
    Fortuna,

I have Panther 10.3.4 and everything works fine. It is probably
    your ISP. OS 9 sucks!:7

Kevin
  16. Kim Ferris left-handed sort of way

prosser, wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    i usually blame the isp for everything, but this one time i will hesitate. as everyone has already stated, there are a number of possibilities. but let's go to some of the more obvious ones - does our new server want any special handling of cookies and/or javascripts. did you somehow block your site within your browser? for example- i used spybot for spyware detection and blocking and it blocked me out of travelocity. you might have a conflict resolution problem - that would point to the hosts table.

carefully compare your machine setup with others- i haven't seen that people have provided anywhere near enough detail to be able to eliminate many possibilities. you could be hijacked for this site. finally, there's always that possibility that your browser's been corrupted and you need a re-install. won't be the first time, nor the last.

of course, i'd rather blame the ISP. they've been providing some pretty bad service in WA lately. several of them have had their primary routes down and been using backup service. the ISP's will tell the big business users (sometimes) that normal service has been compromised, and you're running on a backup system. sometimes, they don't...particularly for individual users. ...and very relevant...there's been at least 2 crashes in recent times that haven't been publicized. so the quality is down.

k
  17. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    This is a very dated discussion rocket. fyi.