Accidental Catch

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Kcahill, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    I headed out this afternoon to test out a new to me boat by terrorizing the local population of panfish and largemouths in the lake. I casted my way around going from dock to lillypads to docks hooking up with a few small bass.

As I was going from dock to dock I left my fly out behind me on 20' of line(to lazy to reel it all in) when the rod just about gets jerked out of my hand. I quickly lifted the rod and was rewarded by a large rainbow jumping out of the water(I also dropped my beer but that is another story).

He ended up putting up a hell of a fight and was just under 20" and fat as hell, definitely the biggest rainbow I have ever caught, and I wasn't even trying to catch a fish. Guess I need to start trolling streamers around the lake more often.

Not a bad first outing for the boat.
  2. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +264 / 0
    Doesn't count if you dropped your beer :clown:
  3. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    What kind of beer? Since you were bass fishing, I would expect it to be PBR or equal. But if you were quaffing an ale, that would explain the trout hookup.

Wayne
  4. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Trout slayer ale by big sky brewing, montana. That must explain it!
  5. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    Dropping your beer (no matter the quality) wile fishing, constitutes alcohol abuse.
  6. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Especially when it lands in the stripping basket and drains all over your bare feet while you are trying to get a fish in the boat...
  7. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +349 / 0
    Party foul, Drink 2!

This boat has some good fish mojo Kcahill. Nice
  8. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +230 / 3
    Lets just say you "christened your boat" with the Trout slayer in an effort to bring good luck rather than "spilled the beer". In fact, if you get creative with timing you can come up with a life-long fishing story about how you christened your new boat with a trout slayer and instantly had a 20" fish.
  9. Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    It was a Double Haul from the Kettle House brewery in Missoula... had to be if a trout hit the line. The party foul will cost more than two beers, add a shot of Jagermeister!
  10. scottybs Active Member

Bellingham, WA and IGH, MN
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    I firmly believe in "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!"

I used to troll a bugger about 40-50' behind me in Squalicum Lake in my float tube as a kid, always produced!
  11. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    The boat definitely has the mojo, I was following behind a gear guy on a run of docks today and picked his pocket of a nice 2 lb LMB(big for this lake). Trailed the streamer all day when moving around, had one fish make an attempt at it but no hook up.
  12. Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I catch a lot of my fish trolling on the lake that I live on. I was taught how by a fellow SSFF club member who catches one hell of a lot of fish on both sides of this state. I use ether a floating or intermediet line stage IV .I have several patterns I use but the stillwater nymph in dark green has been the most productive , also a special style of a cary special.I will fish at a sloooow troll with 65 to 70 feet out.If the fish are rising use a floating line if not use the other,and I always put my beer in a drink holder just in case.Good luck Kcahill hope this helps.
  13. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +358 / 0
    Don't badmouth PBR!
  14. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    PBR on tap in a frosty mug on a hot summer day can be pretty tasty.

And since this thread is still going I figured I would ask an additional question:

So I was out making my rounds of the lake last night seeing if any of the big bass were willing to take a fly, when I was near the outlet of the lake fish started rising all around me. I would guess 5-7 fish sipping off the top and once and a while a splash as they took something more aggressively.

The only think I saw coming off the lake were tiny little flies(im talking way smaller then a size 24 hook), I watched them eat for a little bit and got out the smallest dry I had in my box(size 14) and tossed it out there. I soon realized I had no idea how to fish a dry in still water except cast it out there and stare at it. I tried skating it like a bug coming off the water but no love(and I am not sure this is even right to do on still water)

I downloaded some articles this morning on stillwater fishing for trout this morning so I will read through those, but if the hatch is tiny little bugs is it even worth trying to get them to take a dry?

KC
  15. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    An evening hatch of tiny midges are prolific this time of year. A decent pattern to try is a small (sz 18 -20) Griffith's Gnat, you can find them at your local fly shop or tie 'em up if you have pretty small grizzly hackle. The fly imitates midge clusters which happen spordaically on many waters.
    I've had success with very small dark emergers (20-24) during the evening, thread body with snowshoe wing, grease line presentation.
  16. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    I will take a look for some emerger and gnat patterns, I was throwing those drys you showed me how to tie up but they were huge compared to the stuff taking off!

edit: I looked up some griffith gnat and dark emerger patterns, I will give it a shot tonight. I do not have any snowshoe but I have some white craft fur I think I can make work.
  17. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Sometimes dries cast and sitting motionless on a lake waiting for a fish to sip it is like watching a thingamindicatorbobber with a chironomid dangling beneath it.
    My ADD kicks in sometimes and I have to fish something that is moving.
  18. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,116 / 4
    Oh boy howdy can I relate. I find myself getting so impatient after just a couple minutes. I start second guessing the fly I tied on, the floating line, the dry presentation... pretty much everything. It usually doesn't take long before I tie on something I have more confidence in.

Last time I was on the local lake there was a gentlemen doing fairly well fishing a mosquito pattern on the surface. What I found interesting was watching him I noticed that he was not sitting still at all. He would cast, and kinda kick around for a little bit, then re cast. Constantly on the move. It didn't appear he was really "trolling" his fly, but he was definitely not just letting it sit there. I too don't know much about fishing dries on stillwaters, and I found it interesting to observe this technique.
  19. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Same here, I try fishing leech\bugger patterns on an intermediate line, but after about 30 minutes if I havent had a fish I go back to old faithful. Floating line, 9' leader, and a white\olive\black sparsely tied bucktail that always produces.

I am sad to say I have never caught a fish on a woolly bugger.
  20. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    So I went out today to get some trout this time, I left all my bass flies at home(I almost cried) tried the woolly bugger, nothing. Tried a dry towards rising fish and couldnt do it, got bored. Put on a dragon fly nymph(Thanks for showing me how to tie that scotty) and landed 2 rainbows in 30 minutes. Decent fish one 14" one 10".

Will probably give the dry flies one more shot after the sun goes down a bit.

KC