"Accomplished angler"?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Luke77, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

So I've often times heard people refer to another person as an accomplished angler and it got me thinking...just what IS an accomplished angler? At what point does someone go from angler to accomplished angler? Or does it have more to do with respect? I don't consider myself an accomplished angler by any means, but I do know several. I just can't put my finger on it though...what defines it? So what is the criteria in your mind?

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Basically, take me as the standard.....

For the exact opposite of an accomplished angler

3. Backwoods Angler

Backwoods Angler If you tell them, they'll know!

That is a deep question. I don't think becoming an accomplished angler necessarily means that you catch the most fish. I think that to be accomplished as an angler you have to give back to the sport, be it conservation or educating others. With this comes the respect

4. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

In absolute terms you could define the Accomplished Angler as the following:

1- One who is not in all facets, except a love of angling, the opposite of Itchy Dog
    2- Mathematically, the Inverse of Itchy Dog = an accomplished angler i.e. 1/Itchy Dog = accomplished angler or "Itchy Dog to the -1"

http://unaccomplishedangler.com/

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

This is way to deep for me. I'm not what is being talked about here. I'm just an Old Man.

6. Scott T

Scott T New Member

I've met some people that have experience fishing more types of water and fish than I could ever dream of. I've also met some that have really not spread out but still mastered local area waters (in my opinion anyway). I've learned from and respected both types of fisherman. This is a hard one to put a finger on but I'd say respected angler can = accomplished. Of course it's all relative. Maybe only an accomplished angler can give an opinion on what makes someone accomplished/respected... so... time for me to stop typing haha.

7. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

to me an accomplished angler is someone who knows the fishery, is an expert at reading water and has different ways of fishing different lines or set ups in all situations...Someone who can stand on the side of a river, pick out the best water and figure out a way to fish it effectively...

Age and years on water has nothing to do with that..fished with guys who have been out there all their lives and don't have a clue what they are doing...that's luck not accomplishment...

Watched Wallers dvd's last night...first one is from when he was younger and never heard of a spey rod...Don't care how long you've been doing this...was still an excellent example of how to fish, what to look for and options of ways to do it....I would consider Lani an accomplished angler...

8. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Boot, yer killin' me with all that complicated math stuff. I believe fish have a certain respect for an accomplished angler.

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

A guy that can throw a 40 foot mend with a 15 foot 2 hander, while smoking a Montecristo and sipping Glenfarclas.

10. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

how's it looking up there Kerry...damn...the thing went off the charts...

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

She's dropping, time to hit the river.

[​IMG]

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

An Accomplished Angler is one who doesn't need a GPS to find fish.

13. Scott T

Scott T New Member

Jedi!

14. salt dog

salt dog card shark

I've seen 'em. That guy that always seems to quietly get at least a couple when everyone else is skunked or didn't even bother to try.

15. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

I've seen guys who seem to have all the skills/knowledge and can catch a lot of fish, only to have my impression of them tarnished when I see how they handle the fish they are releasing, or other ethics they display on the water. There is a lot that can go into making someone an accomplished angler.

16. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I think that depends on what standards that you have set for yourself. As flyfishermen we probably range anywhere from big game hunters, to destination travelers to contemplative backwoodsmen and maybe some of all of the above. I would imagine there would be a wide range of opinions on what constitutes "accomplished" and none would probably be wrong.

17. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

I'm with Boot on this one. Who cares what "accomplished" means when you can plumb the depths of the unaccomplished w/ The Dog.

18. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

I have studies this extensively and I am pretty sure of my assesment. Accomplished angler, Unaccomplished angler, and Weekend Warrior are a convergent species within the angler family that have interbred to form variant subspecies thoughout the World. In rural North America, the Accomplished angler is lightly colored similar to a Military sniper, which it is also related to and highly interbreedable with, yet is native outside of the region) the Unaccomplished angler is native to most urban areas and is usually found hanging out at fly shops more often than rivers. Both are elongated and have severely hooked jaws when mature. Weekend warriors I believe is the hybrid between the two species, as it clearly resembles both the Accomplished angler and the Unaccomplished angler, is usually found with wife and kids at home depot when mature. :rofl:

19. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I was thinking that an accomplished angler is one who has caught a fish and didn't need any advice or instruction from anyone else in order to do so, but the fact is, 'Yard nailed it.

Sg

20. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

You guys have it all wrong: Just start introducing yourselves as "Lee Wulf". That oughta do it!!