accuracy vs. distance

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Leroy Laviolet, May 21, 2010.

1. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +163 / 0
    Wonder what tomorrow's asinine, quasi-rhetorical question will be.
  2. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yes, they are. They were put here to get some dialogue going about fishing with the two handed rod, since the spey forum was very slow as of late-
    That was all there was to it reguardless of your opinion- Sorry it hasn't worked out for you-
  3. younggun New Member

Vancouver BC
    both apply to different conditions, yesterday i fished through a run first, i can out cast my partner and he picked my pocket from behind by making the cast needed to cover the bucket properly, later on we fish a giant run and i was in the back blasting out there and i hooked up on a fish he didn't cover. To be what i consider an accomplished caster you need to be able to control both.
  4. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Please define `blasting out there` I ask because there is casting it out there and really casting it out there, an acomplished angler can cast long but at the proper angle and be covering fish in the close buckets far more effectivlly than a short caster.
  5. younggun New Member

Vancouver BC
    I hold 3 loops, they contain 7,5,3 strips.
  6. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,710 / 0
    Leroy,

If either distance or accuracy were requisite to steelheading success, I'd still be in search of my first steelhead. For most of my steelheading career I've been making 45 - 60' casts in the general direction of where I want to fish and hooked the steelhead that were available to be caught in those waters. Let's say I could have instead made consistent 100' casts with pinpoint accuracy. How would the results have differed? In my estimation, I wouldn't have caught one single additional fish, except on the Clearwater and Thompson Rivers, where steelhead holding water commonly occurs all across the rivers' cross-section.

For this discussion to have any meaning, and as open-ended as your question appears to be, based on the ........................... replies, I think you need to set some sideboards on the terms of accuracy and distance. When I think of fly casting accuracy, I think of putting dry flies inside the 30" diameter hoops used in casting contests, or in putting dry flies one foot or two feet from the river bank from a moving drift boat. I can do that often, but not really consistently. And because I'm mainly a steelheader, I've never bothered to focus on improving my casting accuracy, which I notice when I go to Yellowstone. And what is distance? 60', 100', 120'? My longest casts have been 90+' made on the lawn, so I know my best casts while wading waist deep are shorter, and I've never bothered to measure my Spey casts, altho I'm still trying to improve my technique with the method. If distance were really so important, on more than a few select waters, I'd dedicate my time to distance casting before burning the gas to drive to the steelhead rivers I fish, but it's just never been necessary.

I appreciate that you're trying to create more interest in this sub-forum, but I think your topic in this case is more relevant to the general forum than to this Spey Clave sub-forum

Sg
  7. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Salmo, Salmo, Salmo. Accuracy is very important. In fact, I will cast 20, sometimes even 40 times before I let the fly swing. If it doesn't land in the right spot the swing will be all messed up. One of the ways I improved this was to set a tea plate out 100 ft. Then I would single spey all day until I could nail that baby everytime. Since then, my catch rate has gone up to the point where I catch fish everytime out. Perhaps your expectations are too low....hmmm?
  8. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0
    The spey part of this forum has been very informational these days. From determining how long of a rod I should fish, to figuring out how taking a piss might affect my D loop to pinpointing how distance vs accuracy enhances/diminishes my steelhead catching odds, my learning curve has increased exponentially. Thanks guys for the great posts and keep em' coming!
  9. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Pan, this all well and good, but what about Skagit lines? If I were to cast to the same spot 40 times, I'd wear a hole in the river. What is one to do?
  10. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I have found that when I pee in a river...it will show me the hidden lies that steelhead are in...then I have to accurately distance cast or blast it out there 60' to reach the other side of my pee slick so I have the proper anchor....which in turn is in direct correlation to my rods length and of course how much I spent on my set up..as that is secretly the true definition of how good a spey fisherman I am...

everything else is turd polishing...

simple really.....
  11. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,710 / 0
    . . . and the angle of the dangle is equal to the mass of the ass . . . It's really all physics and chemistry when it comes down to it.
  12. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    :rofl: This thread has gone full retard.

[IMG]
  13. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Exactly...exactly, now your getting learned brother.
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,517 / 9
    The end is near...:beathead:
  15. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    Hey Leroy, neither one of us is going to be responsible for this thread getting locked up. Nice job bro.
  16. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Damn there it is in simple black and white...thanks Salmo...much more eloquent then mine...
  17. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    :thumb::thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl: