ACK! I've got GAS...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Josh, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Man, I don't know what it is. I've got GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) like crazy these days. I hadn't bought much fishing gear in the past couple years. But since the beginning of the summer I've added a number of new rods, reels, etc. Admittedly, this probably has a lot to due with this being the first summer that I've started to actually be able to fish a bit more seriously since the birth of our second kid in 2010.

But man, I need to chill a bit. It's just that there are so many good deals out there now. Damn you coupons and closeout pricing and deal sites! I'm starting to get sucked into "well that's too good of a deal to pass up" when it's stuff I really don't have a defined use for. Yeah, those Redington Classic Trout rods are great. But didn't I just have a conversation with someone about how I was done buying single hand rods? I never use the 5wts I have, why would I use a Classic Trout one, even at half price? Sure those Lamson Konic prices are sweet, but do I really need to be buying reels for rod projects that I haven't even started yet?

On the other hand, times like this are always good encouragement to start selling stuff that I don't use. Clears out the storage space and puts some money in my pocket to pay for the new toys. Doesn't end the underlying issue that I'm a consumerist whore. But at least it's a more circular and efficient way to be one.

2. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    You might consider a bit of market timing. The approaching winter and new year make this a great time to be a buyer and take advantage of year-end closeouts. But by the same token, it's also a crappy time to be a seller because the market is flooded with cut-price gear. Unless you're a masochist, it's gonna be a number of months before fishing starts to pick up again when the days start getting longer. If your bank account can handle it, buy now. Then get the gear you decide to sell ready for the market once spring arrives.

K

3. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    A very valid point regarding selling. And in reality, I have enough other random stuff around here that needs to be ebayed that I should just let the fishing "sell" decisions chill until next spring.

4. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Media:
    I can see it now, Josh's "Rent before you buy gear service" Thousands of products to choose from!!!

5. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

I find this happening when I can't get out and fish much. Dude, you need some Fish And Recover Time.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Josh, I am in the opposite mode-I have GROS. Git Rid Of Shit. I am making amazing progress at selling, donating and giving stuff away. I just retired my newer reels and went back to my old Orvis Battenkills which I have 9 spools for. I sold and gave away a number of flyrods and am primarily fishing with just a 4 and 5wt Cabelas L-Tech-about the same weight as an Orvis Helios but $600 less expensive. My 2 wt and 6 wt are both IMX models that are at least 22 years old. In the past year or so I have eliminated 2 trailers and a 5th wheel, a Sage RPLIII, reels, lines and camping equipment, two freezers and a refrigerator, a car and lots of clothes and household items. I want to fish as often as possible and that requires simplicity. The only decision I need to make is where and when to fish, not scratch my head trying to figure out which item in my treasure trove of gear would be best suited once I make up my mind. I feel less encumbered each time I get rid of something.

That being said, if you have one of those Reddington CT,s that you want to get rid of at half price, drop me a line. It wouldn't be the first time I've had GAS.

Ive

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Oh my brother! I'm with you. I'm resisting supporting the economy single handedly.

8. Matt Roelofs

Matt Roelofs Member

Media:
    Hey - I fell for a CT / Konic combination recently too. It's not so bad knowing that there are others out there with the same disease.

9. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Media:
    Albums:
    I've had the same illness for many years. I rationalize it by telling myself stuff like, "It's better than a blow or hooker habit".

triploidjunkie and Kent Lufkin like this.
  10. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Albums:
    There are programs to help you recover from them, though, Lugan. I've yet to hear of a GAS 12-step program!

D

11. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I hear you on that one! I haven't fished a small stream all year, why do I need a 3 wt? Because it's a good deal and I'd like to fish a small stream, that's why!

12. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Media:
    Albums:
    What I do instead is try to suck others into my illness. That's how I got you to buy a fiberglass rod this past year, Dick. Ed once called me an "enabler". Josh is probably creeped out by how quickly I answer his WTB requests for specific gear with a link to some obscure used gear seller's offering. Etc. I'm trying to be helpful on the surface (but actually trying to recruit others into my dark world so I won't feel as badly about myself).

Ed Call likes this.
  13. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Albums:
    ... uh-h-h, that's two fiberglass rods, now...
    and I've really enjoyed fishing them.

D

14. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nick Lyon's once said....those cannot fish, buy gear instead.

Of all my hobbies....the ones I spend money on are those that I spend the least amount of time on.

So my hobbies are fly fishing, bird hunting, astronomy and photography. A good astronomy buddy died a few years back and my participation has dropped in that hobby.

So you would snear at my fly rods, guns and camera's. But wow, oh wow, would my astronomy stuff impress you!!

15. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    You should totally stop buying stuff, Josh.

That being said, was it you that was looking for a cheap tent trailer a while back? If so, send me a PM.

16. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    I recently bought a spey line that I don't have a rod for--just because it was such a good deal and I was thinking about adding a rod in that size.

I'm in the process of replacing all of my disk drag reels with click pawls. Just got another package from the UK last week. Almost done...then I'll stop.

17. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Hell, I just bought a okuma of all things. I've been using itas my only six weight while I'm waiting for two sages to come back. It does everything I need it to do. Makes me think back to when I fished a pflueger matched with a medalist. I caught just as many and just as large fish. Makes me wonder why I need the good" stuff now when I don't cast farther or catch bigger fish. Just goes to show.... we all become hopeless gear whores.

18. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Why do I need a second CT 3wt? Because my first is 8'6" and everyone says the 7'6 is better and it is so cheap I should just get one and try it. By the way, they are very different rods but both have their purpose.

Ed Call and Kent Lufkin like this.
  19. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Wait, EVERYONE says the 7'6 is better?

hmmmmmm......

20. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I do like my 7'6" CT 3wt but now I think I need to try the 8'6" just to see! :)
    (Actually I haven't used it because I still haven't fished a small stream, but it casts nice in my yard) haha