Act now or lose you guns soon

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Well they can't get our guns so they are going after the bullets. This isn't some scare tactic, they want to disarm us, one way or the other.
    Legislation has been proposed in Olympia that poses a very serious threat to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms and it needs to be stopped immediately.

House Bill 3359, sponsored by State Representatives Al O’Brien (D-1), Brendan Williams (D-22), Dennis Flannigan (D-27), and Jamie Pedersen (D-43), would require that all handgun ammunition manufactured or sold in Washington to be coded with an individual serial number, and entered into a statewide database at the time of sale. Encoded ammunition would be registered to the purchaser and would include the date of transaction, the purchaser’s name, date of birth, driver’s license number, and the serial number of the ammunition.

This dangerous bill needs to be stopped now. HB3359 only serves to harass law-abiding gun owners, as criminals are not likely to purchase ammunition through legal channels. Please contact your State Senator and your State Representative today and respectfully urge them to oppose HB3359. Contact information for your State Legislators can be found by visiting http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/statewide.aspx.

2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

I saw that on the news last night. It's just amazing what "they" will try next.
    Thanks for posting this, Roper.

3. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I got this in my email this morning from NRA.
    Call or email. Senators, legislators, and oppose this bill.
    Gett'er done!!!!!

4. Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor Member

Seriously..not trying to start a war here...just wanting to understand more.

What is wrong with the idea of serialized ammo? If you are a law abiding citizen it should have no bearing on you. I have no problem with citizens owning firearms, shooting sports or hunting. But I also have no problem on waiting periods or background checks.

5. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Exactly! Then why bother with legislation which will have no impact on law abiding gun owners? If somone is going to rob a seven 11, I doubt they are concerned enough about gun laws to first register the ammunition. Legistaion such as this just tippy toes closer and closer to "that" line and if a stand is not made and a line not clearly drawn, precedent upon precedent will be set eventually leading to the amputation of our rights. Today it's coding ammunition, tomorrow it will be the sale of firearms with out a firing pin, c'mon now!

I'm not apposed to gun legislation but some common sense is in order. I would much rather see legislation regarding firearm education. Perhaps, like other states, Washington should require proof of a safety course before a concealed lisence is issued. Who can argue with education and safety?

David

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

No war from me...just a bit of history. These types of legislation are not intended to do anything but harrass law abiding citizens. Ask someone in Canada, England, or Australia about laws like this. They all said their government would never take their sporting arms, but they did. This is what the Democrats have stated their position is, to disarm America.

Why? What are they afraid of....:confused:

7. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Let me say first off that I am not a pro gun extremist by any stretch of the imagination. I own several guns (rifles and shotguns for hunting and a .357 that stays in the gun safe). I am not a paranoid right wing fanatic, either. But I do know that the anti-gun lobbyists/lawmakers want us to think is that "this law" won't hurt law-abiding gun owners. And then in another couple years they want to pass "another law" that won't hurt law abiding gun owners. This goes on until all of a sudden the law-abiding gun owner can no longer legally own a firearm. But then who has the only guns outside of law enforcement? You bet- the criminals. No matter what laws are passed, criminals will always find a way to secure guns and the ammunition to put in them.

8. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

If guns are ever outlawed, I would have to say I would then fall into the "criminal category" They ain' gettin mine!!!!

Mark

9. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Yep, it all starts with petty bills like this. Can't wait to get the hell out of WA when I graduate high school! I'm leaving for Wyoming and never coming back! That's what happens when your top three ranking government officials are liberal women! God only knows what's next if Hilary takes office, maybe we'll start our own version of the Soviet Union.

10. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Thanks for posting this. I dont own any hand guns, only shotguns. but it is nice to see what they are trying to do to us gun owners. :mad:

Clint

11. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Seems very typical for the mind set of our state gov. right now, and while I personally don't own any guns I feel that it should be opposed as it is just another tactic to take away our rights as citizens....

12. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Maybe I watch to many episodes of CSI but shouldn't a bill like this be directed towards the firearms manufacturer instead? What I'm saying is that a gun has several print characteristics. They can identify a bullet or spent cartridge not just looking and lining up the land groves but also by the firing pin and scratches when loaded in the chamber to a specfic gun. So with the "National Database"(btw which only can get updated when a bullet and or firearm has been used in a crime), with the manufacturer supplying the information to the government with a fired casing and slug to match the gun, it would solve the problem I would think..?? Like I said I watch to much CSI.:hmmm:

Plus I don't think this infringes on our rights but it will give the manufacturer all do cause to increase the price of ammo, which will suck to us consumers. They already make the powder manufacturers add a tracking chemical to their loads.

13. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

That wouldn't really be a reliable method of identification. Firearms are made of many parts and those parts can be replaced, scratched, polished, etc, changing the profile of markings on both the fired bullet and casing.

As for the CSI stuff, that's why they ask if you're a CSI fan during jury selection.

14. Gary C. Brown

Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Another thought on this. What about a bullet you lose. Hypothetical situation:
    Let's say that while out plinking I lose a bulllet from my .357. Some sleaze ball meth head later that week is scrounging for brass to pay for his next hit and finds the bullet I lost and uses it to commit a crime. They recover the bullet, trace it back to me and I say I lost it. Even though I could clear my name by other means it would still be a waste of time and money of both the part of the state and me to clear the whole mess up. Beside criminals don't go out and buy bullets they use the ones that came in the gun they stole.
    And who will pay for this massive database they will build. Just another large cumbersome government boondoogle to make us feel artifically safe and will only hurt legitimate gun owners.
    I have sent my e-mails to the reps. in my district and have not heard back from any of them even though I requested a reply.:beathead:

15. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I got replies from 2 reps and 1 senator. The bill is dead for now regardless.

16. As England has been mentioned i will reply.
    You are absolutely correct, when the law came in to ban automatic rifles and handguns what happened next?
    To be honest i never saw any reason to hold an automatic rifle, but handguns can be used as a sporting weapon i.e. target shooting leading to someones dream of representing thier country in for example the Olympics, or in the field of hunting to finish of a deer etc
    Basically gun crime has gone up, the only legally held firearms are rifles and shotguns.
    If our gun laws were administered correctly in the the first place the terrible (two) incidents that caused the law to be changed would never have happened.
    Richard

17. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Here it is in a nutshell folks. Assault with a deadly weapon, much less murder, is against the law. Does that really stop anyone intent on committing such a deed? Didn't matter much to O.J. Charlie Manson or any number of other whacos out there. And it will continue until such a time as the penalty outwieghs the risk. Need I remind anyone that both of the above are still breathing air?

They've tried all kinds of schemes to get our guns, and failed. So now they're going for our ammo. They have had this idea simmering on the back burner for a long time.

Laws only effect the the law abiding. Period! What's next? Registering baseball bats?:beathead:

18. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Even when and if this bill is defeated, there will be continued attempt's by the anti's and their pawns to disarm us. These four need to be shown the exit door when they next come up for re-election! We need to keep reminding our law makers that we will not tolerate these attacks on our liberties.

19. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Just one of the reasons I have enough bullets, powder, primers, cases, shot, wads, etc to last me the rest of my life. California is also going through this crap. They know it is not effective, cannot be enforced and yet they continue to waste the money to get it passed.

20. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Guys! The bill is dead. It died under its own weight. It's dead.