Added bonuses while on the river

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by HogWrangler, Mar 10, 2006.

1. HogWrangler

HogWrangler Member

Media:
    What is the coolest thing you have ever seen while fishing? Like a bear, cougar, sheep, mountain goat maybe? I have seen a few blue grouse and mule deer on the way to a creek by Twisp but that is it so far.

2. junebug41

junebug41 Junior Dave Monti fan

Media:
    The first thing that comes to my mind was a mink on the Gallatin last summer at dusk. I had a weird feeling that someone was sneaking up on me, so I turned around and there he was, about 10 feet away, just working his way along the shore.

3. Anyfish

Anyfish Fishing with the kids

The one that really sticks in my mind was about ten years ago, I was out on a little beaver pond on a foggy morning. I heard some noises, looked up and could make out a family of Racoons crossing a log in the mist/fog.

Another time (not fishing but sitting and waiting for my dad), I had a weasle come out of the brush, I froze, and it came within five feet of me stood up on its back legs, looked at me, and then ran off.

Both will stick with me for a long time.

4. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

First thing i can think of was a day on the yak...saw 9 bighorns, 3 mule deer and assorted waterfowl, caught about 10-12 trout. unfortunately it was ruined because it was the same day my truck got stolen at the take-out.
    also fishing slough creek in yellowstone and a griz walked down to the river while we were fishing. that was pretty cool too.

5. Miller

Miller Member

Media:
    When I was up in AK, bears were always around, but one day in particular a Griz sow and 2 cubs decided to share my gravel bar and work their way upriver. Either they didn't see me or didn't care beacuse they paid no attention at all. I kept fishing and watched them for at least a half hour. It is an incredible image that is burned in my memory. That sow in particular had charged me and 2 other guys the year before, so we had somewhat of a sorted past.

6. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    a nice chic sunbathing sans top!
    oops........how can i forget...... 2 naked hippie chics in a hot spring near the lochsa river in idaho.....

7. Fish Hunter

Fish Hunter Too many people, not enough fish

Watching the bare, college bumpers float by on the Deschutes under the train trestle. If you have ever witnessed it you know what I’m talking about; great “hatch”.

8. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Media:
  9. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Naked chicks! Lots of them. [​IMG]

Aside from that, seen quite a few whales while fishing at Neah Bay.

Attached Files:

10. Donald Johnson

Donald Johnson cuttman

About 15 years ago or so I witnessed an eagle swoop down on a very large chinook. After what seemed like several minutes of thrashing and splashing during which I thought the bird might get drowned, it finally managed to rip loose of the fish and fly away. Quite a sight.

11. archenemy

archenemy New Member

A couple of years ago I was heading up to a little lake I love in MT and damn near ran into a little bitty moose. I was all agogle until I turned my head a bit and saw it's mother up the hill a bit and staring right at me. I ran. But it was still a great sight to see!

12. NewFlyLady

NewFlyLady New Member

Well, it was one of my first trips to the Yuba river in California. The river was a little high so you had to stand right in a small opening in the willows that line the river. I kept hearing rustling just a little farther up the river like some birds hopping around and looking for food amoungst the leaves. I didn't think much about it but it was coming closer. When the sound was about 10 feet away I looked in that direction and saw a black and white cat but what was it doing searching through the leaves? When it was about 4 feet away I saw that it was not a cat at all 'cuz it had a big fluffy tail. To say the least I backed away VERY slow and it just kept going down the bank of the river without even acknowledging that I was there. :thumb:

13. JEB

JEB New Member

While fishing the American a few summers ago, I was walking along a tiny trail between the river and very steep rocky cliff and I came across a fawn. It panicked and ran straight up the cliff, stumbling and sliding, somehow making it to the top. I felt really bad the rest of the day, hoping that fawn found its mama.

Jake

14. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    A year or two ago, I was fishing a favorite small stream on a beautiful, sunny afternoon. I was all alone and had worked my way to a section that has a quick run immediately in front of me and a pool behind that. I was in about ankle deep fishing the far pool when I heard a *snap* upstream to my left. I looked over and startled a deer that had come out to cross the river. It freaked, so did I, it bolted TOWARD me, I stumbled back and it went between me and my fly, under my line and bolted off downstream. My heart was in my ears!

Very cool seeing that come racing by so close, but also scary with it's size and it's speed.

-Marc

15. bigtj

bigtj Member

Media:
    One time I was fishing the Mulchatna in Alaska, on a beautiful sunny day, about 50 miles from the nearest village, I was by myself and hadn't seen another person or jet boat in 3 days (I was sent out there to do some exploring of the fishery to see if we could set up a spike camp there). As I was casting off the gravel bar I saw soemthing small and white float down towards me. I realized it was a beer! The darn thing floated almost into my hands, I popped it open (it was vitamin R), took a nice long drag, and looked up into the sky and said "thanks for taking care of me!"

I guess a floater dropped it off the raft it was just so cool to have something like that happen by chance.

The second coolest thing I've seen was actually not on the river but on float plane back to the lodge. In the front seat of a propeller driven aircraft, if the light is just right while it's raining, you can see a 360 degree rainbow, a perfect circle. It's very cool.

The final thing I'll mention is what I call a fogbow. It's like a rainbow, except it's totally white. I've only ever seen it on the Kanektok river in Alaska, and then only a few minutes in the early morning hours. No color to it at all, just totally white streak that looks kind of fluffy like a cloud. It's really not all that exciting except that its something you rarely see.

-John

16. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    That's one of the cool things about fishing, is that it just gets you in the outdoors so you can see cool stuff like that. In the last few years I have seen a small herd of Elk crashing through the river just above me, an otter swimming under the log I was standing on, a few bears on the trail to a fishing spot, Bighorns drinking from the river across from me, Beavers swimming near my float tube, and lots of deer, eagles, muskrats, grouse and other animals. Pretty cool stuff.

17. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I've seen black bear (just across the creek from me...both of us ran in opposite directions!); a coyote pup taking a drink: lots of deer and elk, including a nice bull; too many otters; beavers slapping their tails; an osprey eating a bigger searun cutt than i've ever caught; a mink emerge from the water with a fish in its mouth and run along a log; a porcupine swim across a tailout of a pool I was fishing and then when it got out shake off the water sending rippling waves thru its quills; and finally, once I came around the bend of a local river and saw a fisher gal I know hanging her butt over the transom of her boat, taking a leak, and I nearly busted a gut laughing. The list goes on....

Jimbo

18. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

A few things that come to mind:

- a cow moose with her calf on the banks of the S. Fork Snake (fortunately we were in a drift boat; I hear those things can be mean, especially when protecting their young)

- watching an osprey swoop down and nab a trout out of Dry Falls while fishing one day

- watching an eagle swoop down and nail a sucker (I think - it was a ways away) out of the Stillaguamish

- watching a spike deer swim for about 50 yards down the middle of that big pool on David Powell Road on the Snoq at pre-dawn one morning

- watching a deer step in the water across from Buck Island and swim all the way across stream to about 25 yards below me and walk nonchalantly up the bank and into the woods

- watching does and their fawns tiptoe across the Tolt River on several occasions

- seeing coyote pups wrasslin' on the bank of the Snoqualmie on numerous occasions

- following a beaver in a boat as it swam underwater on the Sky for something like 100 yards before it got sick of us and bolted

- seeing an arctic fox on the aptly named Fox Bar on the Kanektok River

- seeing bighorn sheep along the Yakima on numerous occasions

- fishing a North Sound beach early one morning and watching 4 otters pop their heads up about 75 yards off shore and then swim straight towards me with their heads bobbing up from the water periodically until they got literally to within 5 feet of where I was standing before disappearing

- watching an unbelievable standoff between a praying mantis and a lizard on the banks of the Deschutes in Oregon

- walking downstream after a great day of fishing in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area and coming up to a doe laying in the grass next to the stream; I got within literally 10 feet of her before she even stood up, and surprisingly, she didn't bolt but watched as I sauntered downstream

19. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I've shared the river with more deer and elk than I can count. A few stand out, like having an elk herd cross the river up and down from me on the upper (way upper) Yak. I've been nearly run over by a few deer - once while fishing a small sw wa river\stream, I was in the middle of a cast when a small deer came flying out the tall grass aimed right at me. I leaned back as it brushed past, hit the water, jumped accross, and dissappeared again. I've seen several deer just swimming down stream in the middle of rivers I'm fishing. I've only seen one cougar and one black beer. Coyotes, otters, tons of beavers, etc. Down south I ran into alligators, armadillos, various snakes (copper heads, cotton mouths, ...), havallina (sp?), nutrea, and so on....

20. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Was up fishing the N/F Sauk several years ago and as usual I was by myself until this deer came out of the woods and layed down on the river bank about 3 feet away from where I was casting. It stayed there the whole time I was wasting my time there. At least I had someone to talk to.:rofl:

Another time I was up fishing Pilchuck Creek up by the head waters when I walked around a bend in the creek and came face to face with a black bear. I don't know who was more scared him or me but I didn't stick around to see. I think that I walked on water that day as I was down stream faster that you could blink an eye.

Jim