Added bonuses while on the river

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by HogWrangler, Mar 10, 2006.

1. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Bears bears bears bears...deer deer moose bear.

One of the places I fish has quite an abundace of Brown bears, and one day when I was there with a group we had the pleasure of having 7 bears around us for the better part of 3 hours...early summer, pre-salmon, so they looked and acted much like mangy cattle, grazing their way across the estuarine meadow with the occasional glance at the 2-legged things that were whipping sticks around...

On another stream during steelhead week, I came around a bend to catch an eagle in the act of thrashing about in a tailout, talons firmly gripping a chrome hen of about 9-10 lbs. Who knows how long this had been going on, but I watched for about 5 minutes before detouring as not to disturb the battle. When I left, the eagle and the fish appeared to be "catching their breath" between rounds, with the fish in between flops on a gravel bar, guarded by a damp, exhausted eagle.

About 10 years ago, while fishing with a friend in a small stream in what is widely regarded as the densest Brown bear corridor in SE AK, I saw a movement, a running motion on the far bank some distance downstream. As I watched, and motioned my friend to be still, an adult Marten came running up the far bank, completely oblivious to us, and stopping occasionally to glance behind itself. This action seemed to unnerve my friend, and when I turned to him his eyes were fixed downstream, much the same as when the marten stopped to glance.

"What is it?" I said..."what do you see?"

"Dunno" he said..."But if a Marten is runnin away from it, it MUST be bad"...

Mark

2. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

Here's one on the small scale...

While fishing Cady one sunny day, I kept seeing spiders on the water. They were tiny red ones. They would hang off the trees and spin a line....getting longer and longer. I would see spider webs 100 feet in lenth blowing in the wind....when the spider touched down on the water

Slurp!

and no...didn't have anything close to that. :confused:

3. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

A rattle snake try to join me in my tube at Lenore, a falcon grab a pigeon out of mid air at Dry Falls, a coyote stalk a covey of quail at dry falls. He never got one.

4. ffishnfly

ffishnfly Roger AKA The Fish Whisperer

I have seen too many deer and elk to count, but one incident that really stands out in my mind is a few years back on a local river. On this evening I had worked my way out to a small island in the river and was working a pool at the tail end of the island. I became aware of a crashing sound upstream on the hill above, and this medium sized doe comes flying down and enters the water at the top of the island. Right behind her is a very large coyote chasing her. She swam right down the pool between the island and the steep hill. The coyote swam out to the island and comes running down it after the deer. His attention is locked onto this deer and he would have run me down if I had not hollered at him. He screeched to a stop, wondering what on earth I was, or what I was doing there. He stood and glared at me for what seemed an eternity, which enabled the deer to regain the bank further down stream and head up and over the hill. I was raised in a rural area where I encountered coyotes all the time, so wasn't really worried about him attacking me or anything. But he was sure mad at me. Finally he turned and trotted back the way he came, turning every few steps to glare at me again. By the way, the deer sure ruined the bite in that hole.

5. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Top pick is hard. Never ever tire of Osprey hammering trout from the Yakima, and Eagles lifting salmon out of the Sound. Awesome hunters. I have sat for hours watching randy Spring Chinook fighting for spawning rights in the shallows of the Methow, and steelhead leaping over a waterfall on Goat Creek.

Most amazing to watch was while on the St Joe, taking a break, sitting underneath a large old tree, when a fisher bolted out of its hidey hole, rapidly bounced from rock to rock, then pounce on an 8" trout about a rod length from my wader boot. Fast twitchy little buggers; they should be the mascot for Starbucks.

6. flyrodf

flyrodf New Member

One of the funniest things happened years ago in Montana on the Beaverhood River. I was fishing with a friend, we were working down the river on opposite sides. I was ahead of him, and watched a skunk on his side. The skunk disappeared. When my friend came down, I told him about the skunk. He immediatly waded into the river to get to my side. The water was too deep wqhrer he was, and he ended up having to swim.

Rod

7. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Catching one fish to one fish with a river otter right at my camp site at this lake up on the coast. I never knew just how many fish one of those things can eat. We fished together for over two hours. I quit counting after 30 fish each for us both and finally quit fishing and just watched.

Having a river otter climb on the kayak with me with a Perch in its hands.

Having a killer whale bump the boat up in the San Juans while fishing for Pinks.

Having a coyote brush my knee will taking a hiking break from fishing.

Having a 12 or so pound King not on my line, bounce off the kayak and later having one even bigger jump the paddle. Who says Kings are always deep.

Having a nice silver swim right under the kayak maybe 6 of less inches under me and a quick cast to it, hooking him in all while surfing a freighter wave.

Having a Bald Eagle try to steal a fish from my hands.

Well over 20 Seals all at one time less the 100 feet around me and the Kayak with many more even farther out at the time.

Watching the Porpoise play in the bow wake of the boat.

Watching a deer swim across Puget Sound.

Watching a herd of Elk cross for 45 minutes the road. largest herd I have even seen.

Up close and personal with a Mountain Goat.

A few diffrent couples doing the wild thing in the forest and by the rivers but the best was the couple I came upon who I again came upon as they were getting into diffrent cars and leaving in diffrent dirrections. Yes they both had rings on their fingers but I do not think they were married to one another.

8. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Oh yeah, another time that sticks out is when I was taking a quick nap while my dad and I fished from a 12-14 foot alum rental boat off whidbey island. He woke me up in sort of a panic and we had about 5-6 orcas surrounding us.

One of the strangest things (i got it on my video camera) is when we were checking out a pond\lake in BC. We started heading down a path in the willows and I noticed lots of little tiny frogs (still had a nub of a tail) hopping around. We avoided them the best we could, but eventually we rounded the corner 100 feet from the water and had to stop because the ground had no room for our feet between frogs. As we looked toward the water line, the frogs were so thick that they must have been over a foot deep by the time you reached the waters edge.

9. AFJBugger

AFJBugger New Member

While spear fishing in California I was swimming out passed the break, I was about to duck dive a wave when I see three dolphins coming right at me in the wave. I kept my eyes open in the wave reached out (with the hand not holding my sling) and touched the dolphin the entire length of its body as it passed. Pretty cool, then for some reason I got scared and swam back to shore, go figure. :eek:

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Not a river thing but had my dad with me salmon fishing Swift Bay on the north end of Lopez when a pod of killer whales came in. We first noticed them when one of the big males surfaced within inches of our 18 foot runabout. Scared the living crap out of my dad and honestly startled me pretty good also. We had about 12 or 14 whales around our boat. They would come right up to the side of the boat close enough to touch and roll over to look at us. It was one of the coolest encounters with wild life I have ever had. My dad who at first was very scared they would capsize the boat soon got over his fear and was as fasinated as I with the whales. They spent 15 or so minutes messing around with us then moved off toward Peavine.

11. JEB

JEB New Member

Sorry, One More...
    During my high school years I was Duck hunting this slough off of the Willapa Bay with a buddy. It was a slow crystal clear day. Finally we notice a lone green head coming towards us, we jump up and each fire a shot, as the duck is going down a hawk swoops out of nowhere a grabs it. We watched the hawk fly out into the middle of a nearby field and have himself a nice lunch. I don't see that buddy very often but when I do we always talk about that day. It was awesome.:thumb:

Jake

12. Nick Riggs

Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

On Pilchuck creek, after some high water, I was fishing and i kept hearing a very quiet slapping noise from behind me. I turned around, and in a little puddle that was drying up, it had about a half inch of water in it, was a little bluegill. I threw him back into the creek, I thought that it was wierd to see a bluegill in a western creek.

13. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

That reminds me of and experiece I had when I was a kid in Texas. I was fishing a small river\stream that had various bass, crappie, etc in it. A storm came through and I headed back to camp. I came back 1/2 hr later and the quiet little stream was now a raging torrent at least 10 feet higher up the banks. I watched for a few minutes, headed back to camp, and waited another 20mins. I headed back again and it was nearly back to the original flow level. All along the bank where ever there was a slight impression that held some water, there would be at least one and up to 10 fish trapped. I spent an hour or so just scooping fish and tossing them back in along the bank - avoiding the occassional water moccassin...

14. Dan

Dan Member

In the late 70's, I was sitting on the bank of the Isar River in Bavaria just as the sun was going down. I heard a commotion on the mountainside behind me that grew louder. Suddenly, a gemsbock (Alpine mountain goat) rushed past me at arms length, plunged into the river and swam across just in front of me. No predators followed, so it was never clear to me why he was moving so fast. A few years ago, I was leaving the Arkansas River also just at dusk and nearly ran over a herd of bighorn sheep moving down to the river to water. They were about seven males, including one very mature ram with massive horns. Even with broomed tips, he had over a full curl. Easily Boone and Crockett. Two years ago, I was walking across a meadow on the way to the South Platte and thought that I heard a jet pass behind me in the distance. I turned to look, but didn't see anything. I was a bit perplexed, but then heard a cry in the air above me. I looked up just in time to see a pair of peregrine falcons at the apogee of their mating flight. I watched them dive and swoop for several minutes in an incredibly beautiful aerial dance. I've seen bald eagles do the same from a distance on the way to the Kenai, but the proximity of the falcons made it a special experience.

15. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Two things come to mind...

Fishing the Gallatin a couple years back just outside of the park with a good friend. I hooked into a fiesty little 10" trout, landed it took the hook out and let it go on it's way and about the same time it swam out of my hands an eagle swooped down and scooped it right out of the water right in front of me! Absolutely amazing!

Fishing one of my favorite little rivers outside of Red Lodge, MT with my wife (she landed her first trout on a flyrod that day) and we had just finished up fishing and were hiking back to the truck through some tall grass...and I lifted my leg up onto a fallen tree to cross and there was a fawn that couldn't have been more than a few weeks old just on the other side of the log. Damn near stepped on him. The fawn got up and bumbled it's way through the grass over to where mom was feeding a couple hundred yards away.

Josh

16. I was fishing from the gravel bar just above the bridge in Monroe during the tube and raft hatch last year, and a couple of young women drifted by me, kicked to the shore, and changed clothes. One kept her towel wrapped around her, but the other caught me looking and gave be a good flash! I don't think I looked at my indicator once the whole time she was there. Probably missed 50 takes. Oh, well, it was worth it.

17. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Lots of animals from being chased by a moose to chasing 2 grizz on a road with a Suburban. I twighlight zone moment came when I was 18 fishing for bass in a local lake out of my kayak. My rod was laying on my lap as I was getting a coat on. The next think I know my rod hits me like a train in the face. As I look the rod is going 10 mph down in the water. That was the end of my day. That night I tell my buddy about it. The next day my buddy shows up at my work and tells me he wants to show me something. We go to his car and he opens up the hatch. There is my rod broken I say how in the HELL ? He went fishing that morning and hooked something. When he reeled it up it was a line he pulled and there is my rod. The rod starts to jerk so he pulls the line in and there was a big catfish on the end of it. Now for the goofy part. He lifts up a jacket in the back of his car and there is the friggin catfish still breathing. I run and explain to my boss I have to leave and will return. I go home and put the thing in my 100 gal. tank. It lived and 3 years later I released it in the same lake. True story !!!

18. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

In the mid 70s I was in the Katmai National Monument for a couple months in the late spring. For a week or so I shared a small island with a Bald Eagle family. While I was there I would often watch the fledglings (2) stand on the edge of the nest and stretch their wings. The parents were rarely around and I wasn't sure if it was because I was there or not. Normally, they would roost in trees about a kilo away but I'm sure they were watching. One day it was gusting pretty good when one of the fledglings was stretching. The wind caught him and he rose 10 feet into the air and awkwardly flapped his way back to the nest. The parents showed up within 10 minutes with salmon as a reward. Am confident it was his first flight. Was an inspirational moment for me. Had to leave a day later but they were both taking short flights out of the nest by then.

19. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Have seen a lot of different and interesting wildlife along our streams here in Western Washington but the most unusual has to be a wolverine along the lower Sauk about 5 years ago and a Great Grey owl teaching its owlet to fly on the upper Skagit in June of 1994. The owlet is the first report case of Great Greys breeding in Western Washington.

Like for most of you the sencery at places like the Mermaid hole and bikini rock, the dock docerations on some local lakes or the tube hatch during the summer on local rivers can all be eye catching and of course welcomed.

Tight lines
    Curt

20. marcopolo

marcopolo Member

About three years ago, I was fishing the Middle Fork and coming up the river towards a popular campground because of a large deep pool of water with a nice cliff to jump from. As I was getting closer, I noticed two young women on the shore, sipping on a couple of tall ones. Next time I looked up, and I was now a few feet away, I noticed they had dropped their tops and were facing me with the obvious intent to show me the "goodies". Trying to keep a straight face and not to look at their "lungs", I politely said "Hi". To which they promptly responded by asking me if it would bother me if they went skinny dipping. I had not even had the time to open my mouth to respond that they were standing butt naked in front of me. They proceeded to jump in the water, climb up the cliff and jump a few times, making sure that I could get a good look at every part of their anatomy. To make a long story short, it was a refreshing interlude during my afternoon of fishing. And, no I have not copied this from the Penthouse letters. It really happened!!!!