Adding a couple extra drops of head cement

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Rory McMahon, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    What does everyone think of the idea of adding head cement to the body of flies. Not all over but a few key areas. Like a drop at the body/tail connection. Or where the hackle a woolly bugger is closest to the tail. Anywhere where it might come apart. Do you think this adds to the flies durability? What negatives are there from doing this?

2. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    adding a couple of drops in key areas is perfectly OK to do but tight thread wraps at material tie in points are needed also.

if you ever get to see mike martinek tie classic carrie stevens style streamers, he liberally coats the hook shank with cement before wrapping the body.

on a wooly bugger, i tie the hackle in by the tip at the bend of the hook. no amount of cement is going to prevent the hackle stem from breaking. so in that situation cement is useless.

3. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    I use Zap-a-Gap for those situations all the time. I believe it does help bullet proof a fly. The only draw back would be if you were too liberal and accidentally impregnated parts of the fly that you want mobile (dubbing/feathers).

4. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

I knew a man 25 years ago who would use cement while tying the fly, and during the placement of the wingcasings to hold it all together. Although he did it to keep everything in place, he told me he also did it so that if someone wanted to take it apart to see how he tied it, they would have to cut it apart and screw up seeing how he did it, instead of just having it unravel. The original 30 mnute to tie horsehair fly tied by Chuck Moore. And he tied it with no vise, just freehand...

5. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

put a little head cement under the body of your woolly buggers, but over lead wraps. if its weighted that way then wrap the chenille over it. i think that cement in to many differnet places could ruin the flies action but stiffing it up to much? but i think under the body couldn't hurt it?

6. FT

FT Active Member

To keep the hackle on a WOOLLY BUGGER from breaking and unravelling, you have to:

1) tie in some wire (I like silver) or fine silver or pearlescent oval tinsel in at the rear of the body,

2)wrap the body,

3)tie the hackle in by its butt at the front of the fly,

4)wrap the hackle a few turns at the front then spiral wrap it back to the end of the body,

5)this is followed by wrapping the wire or fine oval tinsel forward to the front where it is tied off the head whip finished.

The wire or fine oval tinsel holds the hackle in place each place it crosses the hackle's stem, thus making for a very durable fly. And the best part is that it takes virtually no extra time to tie them this way.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I've seen lots of tyers that put a drop of head cement on the thread as they wrap in materials they want to stay put. Since I've switched to the Nor-Vise I also tend to spin my hackle feather and my tying thread. I think this strengthens the hackle. I also tie my hackle in a the forward end, wrap to the rear point and then back to the front to tie in and whip. Norm Norlander does this to prevent spinning of the fly and kinking of the leader. Best of luck.