Adding a small seat to my 9' pontoon?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ed Call, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm contemplating adding a second small seat on my 9' pontoon (outcast version for sportsman's warehouse). The rider would be one of my two young daughters. I was considering putting an extra set on or across the rear platform where I'll still be able to row and she can ride along. The weight capacity on this boat is 400# and me, gear and her would be well below that. Any suggestions? Photos of your own modifications? Past attempts that did not go well? Thank you.

2. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=42
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=43
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=44
    Mumbles,
    I bolted the 2nd seat to the Sky's back deck with a 7" pedestal and swivel base. Moved it as far back as I could. After these pic's were snapped, I moved the whole frame forward to better center the load. The boy is 60 lbs. I would not use this on moving water, I'm making a frame for that to put passenger in front at the rower's elevation. I'll add some D-rings as well.
    Note; The deck is also carrying 60 lbs. of battery and a trolling motor.

Robert

3. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Media:
    I floated a river for relaxation and beer drinking this weekend with my girlfriend sitting on the back deck of my 9 ft outcasts. The river was low and at its Augusts flows, but we had no problems. Ill take her down some rapids next weekend:rofl:

4. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Bolted two seats facing out, and feet could dangle over the side of the toon. Tay is about 85, Con about 70 and 225 so I still had room for a bat and minkota. Had it mounted but the bat was dead. Oars worked that day. BTW, 10 footer.

5. Ed Call

Media:
    Robert, thanks for the input. I had not thought of the "rod holder" benefit by bringing them along.

Runej, rapids? That is not in my currnet or long term plans with my girls, but I'd be happy to hear of your successful rapids running with your girlfriend on the back.

Matt, I had read before that you had two, and the two seat mod is quite appealing as I have two myself. Any risk of them sliding or jumping out? Mine are about 45 and 35 pounds, so even if I have both there is no real risk of weight compromise. I'm also looking for this mod just for a local stillwaters so we can play while mom is working on her homework.

Thanks again all, great input. I'm pondering a two seat mod like Matt's but on side by side configuration, maybe on pedestals to elevate them so they can see over my head like Robert's.

6. riverhound

riverhound New Member

I have seen some toons ad these frames before, only for the simple fact that they can be installed and removed easily. I saw them used on lakes not rivers though. Not sure how they would fit with your frame...just food for thought. Look for the removable seat bracket (raised) on the lower right side of the page. http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats/sportsmanacc.shtml

7. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Mumbles, that was kind of the plan to fall off and swim with PFD's. It was difficult with them behind me to gear up their rods when switching from trolling to bobbers. With little ones you are talking about, it'll be hard enough to row long enough to get anywhere. They'll keep you busy. If there is a chance little ones can go in the water, then it will happen. With little ones like you are talking about, it is better to keep them in with the high gunnels of a boat. Even on a lake, if there are boats cruising and causing wakes, a pontoon can be unstable the closer it is to it's weight limit. Anything can happen.

8. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

If those brackets riverhound linked will fit your 'toon, mumbles, I'd go with them. I checked them out but they won't fit my sky. I intend to add one like the straight one to the front, Extending the frame out in front of me. Then, by adding extra D-rings, I can reposition for best weight distribution. For me, it's an issue of balance and keeping their center-of-gravity low (equal to or below the oarsman). Then we can safely take on moving water. The two seats on the side look to me like trouble keeping the weight equally distributed, if you've only one, what do you do. Hey, for a casual float, it beats an inner tube.

9. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Media:
    Yea Mumbles, I wasnt recomending that for your children. I'm just going to be floating where we dont mind getting wet or going swimming. I think you should have no problems in lakes though. Mine felt stable with 300 pounds loaded on it.

10. Ed Call

Media:
    Thanks all, this will be for still water only and places where wake affect from other boats is a non factor. I might just add one seat and alternate trips with one or the other but that does not help mom get much homework done. I contemplated getting a canoe and paddling them around, but the misses does not want another floating device or that cash expenditure.

11. jimmyjoe

jimmyjoe Member

A quick easy set up is to get a piece of 3/4inch plywood about 16 inches wide and the width of your toons. Cut some holes at each end to accept a strap for mounting, and just attach the seats to the board. You can move the whole set up back or forward to adjust for the extra weight. You can mount the seats over the toons or closer to the middle of the boat. I've done this to add seats for passengers on my whitewater boats.